Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
This just came in, a Penney's Marathon that was pretty dusty and punched down a bit more than I like. It's amazing what emerges with a few minutes from a hat brush.

i-nwQwvKG-L.jpg

i-PgmVqCR-L.jpg

Early generation Stetson Playboy c.1940 owned by Robert E. Elcock. Likely purchased from Moore's Berkeley location - he received a B.S. from UCB in 1941. Very lightweight (2.6 ounces) and soft with rooftop ventilation, the hat retains its original cellophane Stetson sticker in the crown. Overall pristine condition but with a rumpled ribbon from being stored for ages in its "original" Stratoliner box. Brim width is 2 3/8". More pictures to follow.

blackplayboy1.jpg

blackplayboy2.jpg

blackplayboy3.jpg

blackplayboy4.jpg

blackplayboy5.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Early generation Stetson Playboy c.1940 owned by Robert E. Elcock. Likely purchased from Moore's Berkeley location - he received a B.S. from UCB in 1941. Very lightweight (2.6 ounces) and soft with rooftop ventilation, the hat retains its original cellophane Stetson sticker in the crown. Overall pristine condition but with a rumpled ribbon from being stored for ages in its "original" Stratoliner box. Brim width is 2 3/8". More pictures to follow.

blackplayboy1.jpg

blackplayboy2.jpg

blackplayboy3.jpg

blackplayboy4.jpg

blackplayboy5.jpg
Holy moley, what a score! Beautiful

Thanks to all for the kind comments and likes!

It has some definite character, I like it a lot!
That, it does. Now it reminds me a little of the "working man's Porkpie" hats worn by Art Carney as Ed Norton and by Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker. My wife prefers it with the front of the brim snapped down. It doesn't look bad that way and it helps to hide my enormous forehead, but I think it makes it look a little too much like a "Hipster Trilby":

Winston_Porker_Hideous_Putz_02_zpsxdurh9qd.jpg

Judges?

Michael A

I'll Lock Up

That, it does. Now it reminds me a little of the "working man's Porkpie" hats worn by Art Carney as Ed Norton and by Carroll O'Connor as Archie Bunker. My wife prefers it with the front of the brim snapped down. It doesn't look bad that way and it helps to hide my enormous forehead, but I think it makes it look a little too much like a "Hipster Trilby":

Judges?
I"m kind of favoring brim down at the moment. I like the looks of it and for some reason it seems to fit with the crown shape better.

Michael

I"m kind of favoring brim down at the moment. I like the looks of it and for some reason it seems to fit with the crown shape better.

Michael
Thank you Michael. Now that I've been able to see it from a "second person" perspective instead of only seeing it in a mirror, I agree with you; the squared-off Telescope crease it had previously didn't have the same effect with the brim snapped down. On the up side, now I can wear and enjoy it either way. On the down side, now I can't decide which I like better. :confused:

:D

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up

Judges?
Less rake.

Bigger Don

Practically Family
I think it makes it look a little too much like a "Hipster Trilby"
The mature blonde in the beard will ensure no one confuses you with a hipster. OTOH, a variety of brims, crowns, and materials seem to be the mark of a man who knows it's the man who makes the hat.

Besides that, it looks good on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82