Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG3267_zpsiido5ot3.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG3268_zpsi9ys3exl.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG3284_zpsrdxn7nzo.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG3271_zpsb3ltawrf.jpg.html] [/URL]
[URL=http://s1140.photobucket.com/user/LoveMyHats2/media/IMAG3278_zpsa1inq53n.jpg.html] [/URL]
No tags behind the sweatband on this, but no plastic on the inside top of the liner, either. Maybe 1940? Not sure but was on display for more than 60 years. This Mallory is a Dallas Model thin ribbon and as clean inside as it is out. I tossed a pair of vintage shoes in one of the pictures so someone here could take a peek! This is one clean smooth lightweight hat.

rclark

Call Me a Cab

No tags behind the sweatband on this, but no plastic on the inside top of the liner, either. Maybe 1940? Not sure but was on display for more than 60 years. This Mallory is a Dallas Model thin ribbon and as clean inside as it is out. I tossed a pair of vintage shoes in one of the pictures so someone here could take a peek! This is one clean smooth lightweight hat.
Great hat!

40Cal

One Too Many

Beautiful hat! The "1817" date on the liner means it's post 1946. After Mallory was purchased by Stetson.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Beautiful hat! The "1817" date on the liner means it's post 1946. After Mallory was purchased by Stetson.

Thank you. Yes, I wish Stetson still would make hats exactly like this, or have a Mallory Division of their company and let them make these hats! Of course I know Stetson is made already by another company...as long as they are not made by Little Ceasar's Pizza we are doing well as it is! haha!

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Great hat!

One thing about real vintage hats is the feel...some call it HAND but we all know what it is...smooth and buttery feeling and so far aside from a custom hat of beaver, you do not feel that in newer hats. Some new hats have a feel like one of those green scrubber pads you use to clean pots and pans with, course and brittle. But vintage hats for the most part, as just flat out nice!

65 Classic

Practically Family
One thing about real vintage hats is the feel...some call it HAND but we all know what it is...smooth and buttery feeling and so far aside from a custom hat of beaver, you do not feel that in newer hats. Some new hats have a feel like one of those green scrubber pads you use to clean pots and pans with, course and brittle. But vintage hats for the most part, as just flat out nice!

I have to check out some of the new hats/scrubber pads. The hat making technology just doesn't seem to let up.

Wesslyn

Practically Family
Depends who made it. Dobbs and Biltmore still use fantastic felt. At least in my experience.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I'm sure it's the same today as it was yesteryear. You have the quality stuff, medium stuff and the rest. BTW, that Borsalino Alessandria is a fine specimen of today's quality hats.
I'm sure it's not! Half a century ago - and before that - the number of quality offerings were a lot greater. Poor quality hats have always been around - but not in the vast relative numbers they are today.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
You're probably right. There might not have been any correlation between quality and prices back then. What was I thinking!!
Much really did depend on who made what...however in general it is a safe bet that most vintage hats are much nicer than most of the new ones. I've not owned any new Borso's nor has Daniel, so we can't comment on that but we have had one that was vintage that was O.K..

For us real vintage is a preference. Of course the custom hats we have had made are very super nice and have some nice finishing on the felt, too. One Biltmore we have is one of those open road clones that everyone purchased a few years ago that looks like an OR or Stratoliner. That hat is a decent felt finish but not really as smooth and creamy as most vintage we have had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe