Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

javadave61

Practically Family
After a 3 month wait, 2 more Akubras have arrived. (Sam sent these to me in two days!)

uploadfromtaptalk1457196383732.jpg

The Stylemaster represents my evolution in hat wearing. Phase one for me was buying junk until I understood what quality hats were. Phase 2 was buying what everyone says is the proper hat to buy (i.e. large crowns with straight sides). But when I picked up the straw Capricorn several months ago, I realized that I liked a slightly tapered crown on my head. It just seemed to look right for me.

So these two additions have the same crown shape essentially as the Capricorn. I'm very happy with these.

Akubra Stylemaster

uploadfromtaptalk1457196359421.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457196364854.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457196375382.jpg

Akubra Country Club. This has the 3" brim and will be great for hot days on the beach. It's wonderfully weatherproof.

uploadfromtaptalk1457196457251.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1457196462359.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Took a trip to Bencraft this morning seeking a modern Alessandria ... Contrary to what I have read about them , these hats are gorgeous.
Extremely light, very very soft handle, and well made...super comfortable as well.. Almost float on the head.
I was immediately torn between three colors ... Light gray (wearing it in the mirror shot)... Steel gray... Dark gray.
The light gray was ever so slightly heavier than the other two .
Was a very tough choice and I came away with the dark gray because I don't have anything remotely close to it... It is also a very hard color to photograph ... Even outside.

Some pics to enjoy

329b38a6d4cf4dd235200c97a0cbfdc0.jpg

12b216ca2e7f2e76fb49635232d35763.jpg

a63f7d41d2a6532ebaf375a558cb516e.jpg

These guys are the best!

561e5467a03cc0320a6c8c15686475c8.jpg

and finally the hat... I'm leaving it open for the pics because I plan to do a fresh bash vid for the Monster Bash thread.

1adee26a23286c3d47d0283ef894afab.jpg

f355d507dfea60c89dd695d1121fa30f.jpg

9d51c6fd29cdb21a9593338ac9e61a75.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Interesting side note ....
The guy between Robert and I in the pic... can't remember his name... first time meeting him... He said that Stanley, before he passed away recently told him that somewhere tucked in the back in the upstairs stock room there is old stock from when the store opened and that there are some Stratoliners and the like up there.
He told me this while holding and admiring the Strat I was wearing.
I asked if he would look for them and he said they were buried under a ton of boxes and would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
Maybe Steve could elaborate on this?

Interesting side note ....
The guy between Robert and I in the pic... can't remember his name... first time meeting him... He said that Stanley, before he passed away recently told him that somewhere tucked in the back in the upstairs stock room there is old stock from when the store opened and that there are some Stratoliners and the like up there.
He told me this while holding and admiring the Strat I was wearing.
I asked if he would look for them and he said they were buried under a ton of boxes and would be like looking for a needle in a hay stack.
Maybe Steve could elaborate on this?

I'm sure we could form a team and mount an expedition.

rclark

Call Me a Cab
Took a trip to Bencraft this morning seeking a modern Alessandria ... Contrary to what I have read about them , these hats are gorgeous.
Extremely light, very very soft handle, and well made...super comfortable as well.. Almost float on the head.
I was immediately torn between three colors ... Light gray (wearing it in the mirror shot)... Steel gray... Dark gray.
The light gray was ever so slightly heavier than the other two .
Was a very tough choice and I came away with the dark gray because I don't have anything remotely close to it... It is also a very hard color to photograph ... Even outside.

Some pics to enjoy

329b38a6d4cf4dd235200c97a0cbfdc0.jpg

12b216ca2e7f2e76fb49635232d35763.jpg

a63f7d41d2a6532ebaf375a558cb516e.jpg

These guys are the best!

561e5467a03cc0320a6c8c15686475c8.jpg

and finally the hat... I'm leaving it open for the pics because I plan to do a fresh bash vid for the Monster Bash thread.

1adee26a23286c3d47d0283ef894afab.jpg

f355d507dfea60c89dd695d1121fa30f.jpg

9d51c6fd29cdb21a9593338ac9e61a75.jpg

Very nice, Anthony! Does it run "true to size" and more importantly, how does the felt compare to the Excellent Quality felt on your sage Stratoliner?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Very nice, Anthony! Does it run "true to size" and more importantly, how does the felt compare to the Excellent Quality felt on your sage Stratoliner?
Funny thing about the size
I'm a 7 1/4 but on all the Borsalino hats 7 1/4 = 59
So I went with the 7 1/8 which is a 58 and it fits like a glove... Super comfortable.
That is something that I would have fumbled on had it not been in person... Good thing.
.... And the felt is definitely comparable to the excellent ... Probably a bit softer and lighter actually ... The excellent has a more velour like finish than the Alessandria But wasn't as easy to work with.
The Alessandria feels closer to some of my vintage hats than the excellent sage... But I'm splitting hairs here... Both awesome hats

rclark

Call Me a Cab
So I went with the 7 1/8 which is a 58 and it fits like a glove... Super comfortable.
That is something that I would have fumbled on had it not been in person... Good thing.
.... And the felt is definitely comparable to the excellent ... Probably a bit softer and lighter actually ... The excellent has a more velour like finish than the Alessandria But wasn't as easy to work with.
The Alessandria feels closer to some of my vintage hats than the excellent sage... But I'm splitting hairs here... Both awesome hats
Good info. Thanks! I admit I was a little disappointed in the Excellent Strat compared to vintage. It's nice but I really like a hat that takes a decent dry crease, which your new Borsalino seemed to do quite well and my Excellent Strat required a bit more coaxing.

viclip

Practically Family
Apparently these Borsalinos are sized in accordance with the UK rather than US measurement system, interesting

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe