Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carter

I'll Lock Up
panama jack said:
Hi everyone,
I would like to share with you a few pictures of my recent e-bay purchase. It a vintage Stetson Mallory. The true color is actually like the center picture. My other hat is a 7 1/2 so I was expecting to have to get this one stretched a bit but I think it fits perfect. I plan on getting it cleaned and re-blocked. I'm not sure what type of bash to give it. Your comments would be appreciated.
Thank you,
pj
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D480
PJ, That hat is UGLY and you should send it to me immediately for disposal.

However, should you choose to have it cleaned and reblocked, have it reblocked into an open crown. Then you can block it by hand. It'll be fun. Happy Holidays, Carter
;) :)

panama jack

One of the Regulars
Carter,
Thank you for your suggestion. At this point I really don't know what would be the right block for this hat. The gentleman that does the hat cleaning and blocking is on vacation until the first of the year so I have some time to play around with it until then.

Happy Holidays to you too.

pj

Ande1964

Practically Family
Borsalino

I spoke about this hat when I won it on the bay, but I haven't had time to show off over here yet.

I have been wanting a nice, vintage, light brown or beige Borsalino for a long time. This one fits the bill. It needs to be long-ovalized a little bit, but it is practically a perfect hat.

It arrived in mint condition, open-crowned and apparently never worn. It was sold in and made for Eaton's Menswear, in Pennsylvania, I believe.

What you see here is my casual first bash. The felt is supple and easy to shape. The open crown is just under 5 1/2. The brim is 2 1/4, and the ribbon is 1 7/8.

I'm guessing early '60s. Any other guesses? No real info under the sweat.

Anj

borso.jpg

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Ande1964 said:
I spoke about this hat when I won it on the bay, but I haven't had time to show off over here yet.

I have been wanting a nice, vintage, light brown or beige Borsalino for a long time. This one fits the bill. It needs to be long-ovalized a little bit, but it is practically a perfect hat.

It arrived in mint condition, open-crowned and apparently never worn. It was sold in and made for Eaton's Menswear, in Pennsylvania, I believe.

What you see here is my casual first bash. The felt is supple and easy to shape. The open crown is just under 5 1/2. The brim is 2 1/4, and the ribbon is 1 7/8.

I'm guessing early '60s. Any other guesses? No real info under the sweat.

Anj

borso.jpg

Early 60s? I doubt it, by the style. It's a very classically styled Borsalino, and and the leather is brown rather than black.

I would have said late 40s, early 50s. I have a similar Borsalino, and I would date mine as such:

SSL11331.jpg

SSL11316.jpg

MarkL

One of the Regulars
Love that Portis!

Dear Jimmy,

Just had to put in my two cents. I love the look of that Portis, but compared to all of your other great hats, it does look a bit smaller. But it's a beauty!

Any chance you wear a 7 1/8 sized hat? If you do and you ever decide to part with it, I just might know someone who would be very interested!!!!!

<smile>

Mark

jimmy the lid said:
This Portis just arrived today. It's in darn nice condition, and the color scheme is cool -- kind of a light brown/taupe felt with a greenish gold ribbon and matching binding.

The brim on this lid comes in at a hair under 2 3/8". This would absolutely be the "stingiest" brim in my collection, and one of my rules is that I only hold on to lids that I will actually wear. So, right now, I'm trying to figure out if this is a look that will work for me. [huh] From yesterday's 3 1/4" Stetson to today's 2 3/8" Portis is quite the contrast... :eek: :D

Portis.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Ande1964

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
Early 60s? I doubt it, by the style. It's a very classically styled Borsalino, and and the leather is brown rather than black.

I would have said late 40s, early 50s. I have a similar Borsalino, and I would date mine as such:

SSL11331.jpg

SSL11316.jpg

Damn, that is a nice hat!

I was leaning toward the later date because of the relatively short brim and the paper size tag. Although, now that I really look at that size tag, the font is more retro than the '60s.

Maybe it is late '40s. That would be a nice bonus!

Anj

RBH

Bartender
panama jack said:
Hi everyone,
I would like to share with you a few pictures of my recent e-bay purchase. It a vintage Stetson Mallory. The true color is actually like the center picture. My other hat is a 7 1/2 so I was expecting to have to get this one stretched a bit but I think it fits perfect. I plan on getting it cleaned and re-blocked. I'm not sure what type of bash to give it. Your comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,
pj

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D480
Wow that one looks like all it needs is a c-crown and to be worn!!!
Super hat!!!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
MarkL said:
I love the look of that Portis...Any chance you wear a 7 1/8 sized hat? If you do and you ever decide to part with it, I just might know someone who would be very interested!!!!!

Duly noted, Mark! ;) (And thanks for the feedback).

Cheers,
JtL

panama jack

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:
You should be! Looks like a nice OR-style lid in great condition, and with a shapeable crown. Happy bashing! :)

Cheers,
JtL

JtL,
Thanks for your comment. I tried reshaping the brim and crown today with a little steam from a tea kettle. The felt gets soft quickly. For my first time it was easier than I thought.

pj

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Good work! Just remember, on a hat that already has fairly pliable felt, it doesn't take much steam to loosen it up just enough to shape it. Use just a little steam, and keep the source of the steam moving so that it doesn't sit in one place for long. Post some photos of the finished product if you get a chance!

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This is the second OR I won on e-bay. I bid on three thinking I would hopefully land one of them, but I ended up with two. In the e-bay pics this hat looked green, but when I e-mailed the seller he described it as light tan and said he took pictures of it next to his house which is green and got some color reflection. Well, I ended up with a silverbelly OR, but it's in good shape and fits quite well after I pulled all the old tissue out from behind the sweat.

IMG_0568.jpg

IMG_0570.jpg

IMG_0571.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0572.jpg

IMG_0574.jpg

This hat arrived with both the front and back brims snapped down, and I kind of like the look it gives.

Any thoughts on how old this one might be? The felt feels really nice for a 3X.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
panama jack said:
Hi everyone,

Thank you,
pj

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D480

PJ, that Mallory is very nice. I saw it on e-bay but was so glad it isn't my size. That really is a beauty though even if it is too big for me. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

panama jack

One of the Regulars
BobC,
Thank you for your comments. It looks like you got yourself a very nice OR too. Congratulations.
I was concerned about the size of the Mallory because my only other hat right now is a Stetson Retro in a size 7 1/2 so I was expecting to have the Mallory stretched if I won it. When I put it on I couldn't believe it fit. Now I'm starting to wonder if the Stylemaster that I order in a 7/1/2 is going to be too big.
I did try on a Borsalino Como at my local hatter in a 7 1/2 and it fit fine so I hope I'll be OK with the Stylemaster.

pj

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Great Borsalino, Ande!

Thanks for the response to the T & J, folks. They really knew what they were doing when they made it. That one shot right up into my top five as soon as I laid hands on it.

OK, in keeping with my green theme, I got this Stetson western. Never saw one quite like it. It's an OK, heavy weight modern hat. The brim was a wavy wreck from shipping. I just kept it simple when I shaped it.

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe