Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post Apocalyptic world, one outfit to last..

Dredgen Yor

Familiar Face
Just finished Mad Max Furiosa and got me wondering what outerwear would you choose in a post apocalyptic world with the climate you currently reside if you had to choose just one jacket, one pair of pants, and one type of shoe or boot. Durability and adaptability for the four seasons being a top priority.

Olumin

New in Town
Well, these are always fun:

Heavier weight two-ply cotton button up shirt.
Sturdy high-rise wool trousers; maybe corduroy, tweed or a thick flannel type fabric. Similar or matching wool jacket.
Thick double breasted wool great coat.
Warm wool over calf socks.
GTW leather service/derby boots with a hard wearing rubber sole.
A good rabbit or beaver felt fedora with a 2 3/4 - 3" brim.

I'd also want some warm wool-lined leather gloves, a scarf and a few spare pairs of socks and underwear. Maybe some thinner cotton socks for the summer. Id also definitely want some long johns for the colder months, and a water proof tarp or cape for the rain.

Alternatively, I could also replace the wool jacket with a sturdy brown leather jacket. Maybe a long half belt with warm wool lining.

Bennarion

One Too Many
IMG_20240704_105503.jpg

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
In such a situation, I would probably not want leather, but functional clothing, e.g. from a motorbike or mountaineering shop. Cordura, breathable, waterproof, layers, e.g. removable lining, hood, lots of pockets. Waterproof lightweight boots, merino shirts and underwear.
It's certainly not about looking cool, but about surviving ;-)

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
In such a situation, I would probably not want leather, but functional clothing, e.g. from a motorbike or mountaineering shop. Cordura, breathable, waterproof, layers, e.g. removable lining, hood, lots of pockets. Waterproof lightweight boots, merino shirts and underwear.
It's certainly not about looking cool, but about surviving ;-)
Somehow I think you’d end up looking cool anyway, MrProper!!

El Marro

If I chose a leather jacket it would definitely be a G-1, I just haven’t found any other leather jacket that equals it for freedom of movement and comfort. I have to say, though, I agree with @MrProper that function might be the most important consideration here. Therefore I would probably raid the North face outlet and come out looking like everybody I see walking around in this pre-apocalyptic world.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Just finished Mad Max Furiosa and got me wondering what outerwear would you choose in a post apocalyptic world with the climate you currently reside if you had to choose just one jacket, one pair of pants, and one type of shoe or boot. Durability and adaptability for the four seasons being a top priority.
Post Apocalypse…. Full metal jackets of course and whatever they had that i needed.
B

unhatted

One of the Regulars
I find it hard to get into post-apocalyptic survival of the fittest scenarios because my desire for community/pleasure/not having to attack someone with a machete for water all outweigh my meagre desire for survival. After some consideration I will wear a crisp linen shirt paired with jeans and a neat double-rider (maybe Schott 125 but you can’t plan these things too minutely) and head for the centre of the drop site with any loved ones who want to join me, a picnic and a bottle of something very expensive—the outfit will last as long as I need it to!

MrProper

I find it hard to get into post-apocalyptic survival of the fittest scenarios because my desire for community/pleasure/not having to attack someone with a machete for water all outweigh my meagre desire for survival. After some consideration I will wear a crisp linen shirt paired with jeans and a neat double-rider (maybe Schott 125 but you can’t plan these things too minutely) and head for the centre of the drop site with any loved ones who want to join me, a picnic and a bottle of something very expensive—the outfit will last as long as I need it to!
I could very well do without a world like that. I like it just fine the way it is. LOL
Nevertheless, I remember this picture that I made based on @Monitor idea. Even though this would certainly not be my outfit of choice.
1720196299498.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bootsyd