Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll: When you see a fellow hatwearer...

Mustang

One of the Regulars
I choose "A"

I seriously don't recall ever seeing anyone wear a fedora! It seems to me I would've noticed [huh]. I just ordered my first fedora, so I've never wore one. I have been wearing my Tilley T3's for quite a few years. As ugly as they are, I have had a number of compliments. A few were, I'm sure, sarcastic lol , but most were not. I've even been called Indiana Jones :eek: ...twice. Go figure! Prior to that, I wore cowboy hats all of the time. Which isn't all that common here in Michigan. I used to get, "Hey Tex" or "Hey Cowboy" a lot. I'd just smile and nod. So my skin has become pretty thick over the years. ;)

Anyway...
If I did see someone with a hat worthy of praise, AND, if there was eye contact, I'd give a slight nod of the head in appreciation and possibly say "nice hat" or something similar.

Havana

One of the Regulars
I commonly see quite a few western hat wearers on a daily basis. These usually cover the entire range of materials and quality. I see fedoras time to time but it's usually the cheaper wool types and mostly on foul weather days. Just last week when it was snowing, I saw 4 men wearing fedoras at a local drugstore in my small town. That was unusual. I usually don't say anything about other people's hats unless it's something that really gets my attention like an interesting design or a hat of obvious quality. I try to encourage any young people that I see wearing a hat. This past week, I met a 10 year old boy wearing a fedora in Wal-Mart. He was an Indy fan.

Jovan

Suspended
A gentleman I saw coming out of my grocery store was wearing a rather nice fedora. I think he said it was a Bailey or something? He must have been at least in his early 70s. So while I curse myself that I haven't gotten any Fedora Lounge business cards yet, I'm not sure he would have been too keen on that. [huh]

ScottyBlues

Familiar Face
Rejoice in a found comerade!

I always enjoy running into folks wearing something on their head other than a baseball cap. I usually introduce myself, compliment him/her on their headwear, and inquire where they got it.

This is a great way of meeting people. All of the choices we make for our outward appearance--clothes, haircut, grooming--send signals about what kind of person we are. Seeing someone with a similar set of markers is a good way to find someone who likely values similar things and may become a new best friend.

--Scott

Jovan

Suspended
Hmm. Well while he had great headwear, my only qualm was his choice of FOOTwear. But it's never too late to learn! He might have just not cared what he looked like at the moment. I admit I have days like that myself.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Generally, I don't make any special acknowledgement of other hat wearers but at an event recently I saw a fellow wearing a Panama with a vented crown (my next purchase) so I introduced myself to inquire about the hat. Turned out that both of our hats were from Optimo so we ended up chatting for some time about the shop, Graham, Chicago, etc....

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mustang.....

I seriously don't recall ever seeing anyone wear a fedora! It seems to me I would've noticed.....

Man, can I ever cope with this. I hear ya Brother. :(

Far and very few between in my parts, so I don't see hardly any at all. If I do and I get in ear shot, I will pay a nice compliment if it's worthy of one though. [huh]

JohnR

New in Town
Alon said:
When you spot a fellow fedora wearer in a crowd, do you:

(A) take pride in and enjoy seeing a like-minded spirit?

or

(B) cringe at the thought that someone else may take attention away from your fashion statement?

Discuss.
99% (A), 1% (B) My first thought is, "Hey, he's just as pretentious as I am!" Then I think, "Naw, we're both trendsetters."

ohairas said:
Then wish more men would wear them.
Nikki
My kinda gal.

pgoat

One Too Many
A. the more the merrier.

I've been seeing a LOT of fedoras around. I have no problem sharing the look. I will say 90% of the hats I see are not really classic looking fedora styles or very expensive looking hats and that's fine. NOt everyone wants to be so fussy about it and that just makes our lids stand out more!;)

pgoat

One Too Many
I had a funny experience on the train the other day. I am selling a Borsalino on ebay right now - I originally had it paired with a similar hat (a friend gace me the pair to sell) but decided to streamline things and just sell the one. The other became a lab specimen - I tore it apart to see what makes a hat tick.

The hats were too small for me but without its sweatband and ribbon I can wear the lab hat now. I also cut the rather wide brim down (quite crudely, too). My wife makes fun of it and really gave it to me last sunday night as I wore it while we walked through our neighborhood.

The next night I saw a gent with a funky walrus moustache wearing a brown fedora on the train with no ribbon - there was a mark where the 1.75" ish ribbon had been.....I was dying to ask if he'd cannibalized his sweatband too!:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe