Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photographs Of Hats Fresh From Surviving The Elements

blazerbud

One of the Regulars
This was from last week when it was raining like crazy.

upbrimrainedon_zps8fafa46c.jpg

What hat is that? ME LIKE! it's tall and stingy.

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
What hat is that? ME LIKE! it's tall and stingy.

That's one of my Resistol Stagecoach's that I converted.

It started life as this:

DSCF0006.jpg

DSCF0014.jpg

I wanted to make a hat that could fit in the 1914-1919 period, so I kept the high crown and added a 2 1/8 straight bow which was very commonly used in that time period. I then flanged the brim high, pulled the front and back down, and curled the sides up. Its give the hat that "V" effect on the brim. The brim measures 2 1/8 inches wide but appears much shorter due to the flange. I also pounced the heck out of it to thin out that thick western felt a bit and give the finish a buttery feel.

After:

8411205575_a260ace4ac_b.jpg

8412320346_016fce0473_b.jpg

8411216951_eeab8e211e_b.jpg

8412327754_aa3e550f64_b.jpg

That's one of my Resistol Stagecoach's that I converted.

It started life as this:

DSCF0006.jpg

I wanted to make a hat that could fit in the 1914-1919 period, so I kept the high crown and added a 2 1/8 straight bow which was very commonly used in that time period. I then flanged the brim high, pulled the front and back down, and curled the sides up. Its give the hat that "V" effect on the brim. The brim measures 2 1/8 inches wide but appears much shorter due to the flange. I also pounced the heck out of it to thin out that thick western felt a bit and give the finish a buttery feel.

After:

8412320346_016fce0473_b.jpg

Holy Crimony! And to think, I junked one a few years ago.:eusa_doh:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice, MCrider!

I got inspired by the colors the new rain produced on the lawn and lichens this morning. There's always a certain glow during the first real rain of Spring around here.

Resistol Wide Country
011xlb.jpg

Resistol 3X
024ufv.jpg

Tim Bender bowler
022rgu.jpg

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
We finally got some rain and my Penman got its first taste:

and I couldn't help but take out the trash in the Akubra:

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
My Champ fresh from the storms we're having here.

IMAG0161.jpg

Just a quick phone picture while the tornado sirens are going off in the distance.

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just a quick phone picture while the tornado sirens are going off in the distance.

I hope all goes ok in those storms. Keep your head down! We haven't had any tornadoes in this area yet thank God! (Sharp looking Champ by the way)

CONELRAD

One of the Regulars
I hope all goes ok in those storms. Keep your head down! We haven't had any tornadoes in this area yet thank God! (Sharp looking Champ by the way)

Shortly after I wrote that it blew past me and settled down, but I heard there was some damage elsewhere in the Metroplex. And thanks, it's one of my favorite hats.

GamaH

A-List Customer
Although properly sized for a bare head, that is a result of them being worn on top of a yarmulka which pushes the hat up.
Truth be told I don't know why some of them do that; I account for the yarmulke when I'm measuring my head, so my hats fit normally. Most Chabadniks also wear their fedoras normally -- I can only assume that there's a yarmulke underneath as well, but they simply size their hats accordingly.

Anyway, it rained really heavily yesterday, but I couldn't take any pictures of the hat.

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
I love these photos-- Rogera, both the Penman and Akubra looked to hold up great. The Penman looks brand new even soaked!

Nice Champ, Conelrad.

Broccoli

One of the Regulars
After some rain, the crown of my hat got some small bumps. Does anyone know how to treat this (if possible)?
It was really hard to capture it in a photograph but you perhaps get the idea.

mrcZ3nH.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe