Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Newman's jackets in movie "Slap Shot"

Doctor Death

New in Town
Hello everyone. Joined this blog awhiles back. Lots of good info here about leather jackets. Already learned a great deal. Thumbs up to everyone here! This is my first post.

The other day it occurred to me to ask what is that brown/tan jacket that Paul Newman wore in the movie "Slap Shot"? He wears a brown or tan jacket that looked like leather, but it could have been vinyl, I'm not sure. Was it leather? What was the make? Or was it a custom job?

And there is also a black jacket that he wore in the same movie. Also looked like leather, but I'm not sure.

There is a big fur coat that he wore too, but I"m not interested in that one. Just in the two brown and black jackets. They did look pretty cool. '70s style, I believe. But still looks good today.

Peacoat

Bartender
Hello everyone. Joined this blog awhiles back. Lots of good info here about leather jackets. Already learned a great deal. Thumbs up to everyone here! This is my first post.

The other day it occurred to me to ask what is that brown/tan jacket that Paul Newman wore in the movie "Slap Shot"? He wears a brown or tan jacket that looked like leather, but it could have been vinyl, I'm not sure. Was it leather? What was the make? Or was it a custom job?

And there is also a black jacket that he wore in the same movie. Also looked like leather, but I'm not sure.

There is a big fur coat that he wore too, but I"m not interested in that one. Just in the two brown and black jackets. They did look pretty cool. '70s style, I believe. But still looks good today.
Why do you think it might be viny? I can't imagine Paul Newman wearing a vinyl jacket for any reason, especially in a movie.

Welcome to the Lounge. PC

Doctor Death

New in Town
Yeah, it was probably leather. But he plays a player/coach in a minor league hockey club in Charlestown. And lives in a very small apartment. So I take it he's not supposed to be a rich jock or anything like that. And the jacket looks a bit like vinyl, from the way it reflects light. Hard to tell of course. But if he wore vinyl, it would not be out of character in this movie.

You know, in a different movie with leather jackets, Mel Gibson in Mad Max wore a leather jacket. But everyone else wore vinyl, not leather. Hard to tell them apart from just looking. They look pretty similar to me.

In another scene in Slap Shot, with actor Strother Martin playing the GM of the club, Newman is seen sitting on a desk with a black leather jacket. That one looked more like leather.

I did a few searches on the internet. Didn't really come up with anything. Until just now I found a youtube video with three guys doing a comedy skit, pretending to buy Paul Newman's brown leather jacket off ebay. It didn't look anything like the one he wore in the movie, though.

That gave me the idea to check on ebay. Found a black jacket advertised as a Paul Newman jacket from Slap Shot. Again, looks nothing like the black jacket he wore in the movie.

Both jackets were very snug fitting shirt like jackets. Full shirt collars on both.

Biff42

A-List Customer
Let me see if I can attach a link. Here is the brown one: https://m.imdb.com/title/tt0076723/mediaviewer/rm3259249152/

And here is the black one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/SLAP-SHOT-...color-lobby-still-HOCKEY-/310403460979?_ul=IN

And if the links don't work, you just have to search "paul newman leather jacket slap shot" and lots of pics will come up.
Thanks.

I'm relatively new to the leather game, but the 70s were a dark time for leather IMO. They favored a plastic-looking grain-corrected leather that I don't much care for. I own a Bates from that time period that has a cool pattern with large lapels, but the leather is thin and plasticky.

Maybe I've been too influenced by the posts I've seen on the FL and should expand my horizons.

Doctor Death

New in Town
"They favored a plastic-looking grain-corrected leather that I don't much care for."

Yeah, that might be why I thought the brown jacket looked a bit like vinyl. The movie was released in 1977, probably filmed in 1976.

Doctor Death

New in Town
In the pic of the brown leather jacket, it looks like he is wearing brown leather pants, too.

Who the heck does he think he is???

Monitor????
You know, it's been a while since I watched the movie straight through. Looks like you're right, in the scene with the rich bitch team owner, Newman is wearing the brown jacket plus matching brown pants. So they probably had that jacket and pants made for him for this movie. Must have been leather, if they bothered to custom make it for him.

Doctor Death

New in Town
I'm going to look at that black leather jacket more carefully and start looking around for one that might be similar. It looks kind of cool, at least I think so. Could wear it anywhere, date night, beater jacket. Looks relatively thin. Good during late spring, early fall.

Biff42

A-List Customer
I'm going to look at that black leather jacket more carefully and start looking around for one that might be similar. It looks kind of cool, at least I think so. Could wear it anywhere, date night, beater jacket. Looks relatively thin. Good during late spring, early fall.
You might look into an unlined delivery-style jacket if you want a modern one. I've owned the Scott 575 and it was a great light jacket.

If you want vintage there are tons of them on eBay, though knowing your measurements is critical.

doug5551

New in Town
You know, it's been a while since I watched the movie straight through. Looks like you're right, in the scene with the rich bitch team owner, Newman is wearing the brown jacket plus matching brown pants. So they probably had that jacket and pants made for him for this movie. Must have been leather, if they bothered to custom make it for him.
Great post!!

I'm glad that I encouraged you to see the movie again. Now I want to watch it, too.

And as you are new here, @Monitor is a prominent forum member who is an advocate/Enthusiast/Fashionista for leather pants.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many

Both of those jackets look like 70s-era leather I’ve been getting into recently from Sears The Leather Shop and Montgomery Wards. Those 1970s leather items are dirt cheap on eBay but I actually kind of like them. Like you say, they are thin, sort of spring wear and some of them have pretty darn nice leather despite the “grain correction” that someone else mentioned. I got a Montgomery Wards overcoat that is very very water repellent and looks cool as hell over a black cross-zip. And the Sears The Leather Shop cross zip I bought recently is really very good quality and the fit beats my Lost Worlds.

I looked at some other big names but Sears and Montgomery Ward are my favorites so far.

IMG_9093.jpeg

Thanks.

I'm relatively new to the leather game, but the 70s were a dark time for leather IMO. They favored a plastic-looking grain-corrected leather that I don't much care for. I own a Bates from that time period that has a cool pattern with large lapels, but the leather is thin and plasticky.

Maybe I've been too influenced by the posts I've seen on the FL and should expand my horizons.
I am old enough to have been around in the 1970's and I can say for sure your comments are valid. I owned two of them.....shiny and plastic like would describe them

Yeah, most of the 60's and the 70's leather wasn't much good, especially in the US but the downgrade of quality spread elsewhere like wildfire. 50's was hit and miss and 80's saw some good leather but then it went downhill from there, up until now.

Plasticy coating annoys me, too. I don't have a single jacket in it anymore.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads