Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pants theory

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Feraud said:
Yep, I think the idea is to buy a bigger waist and length and this will give a higher rise.
Does this apply to finished (pre-hemmed) trousers only? I buy unfinished trousers that have no variable in rise. I know that with suit trousers, Longs will have a higher rise than Regulars and Shorts.

BTW, buying trousers that need more than two inches taken in at the waist will require a re-cut; not a good thing.

Feraud

Bartender
Tomasso said:
Does this apply to finished (pre-hemmed) trousers only?
I have no idea what this applies to. I was trying to reply to a comment based on what I read in the thread.
How do all the mentioned alterations result in a final product?
I posted comments about a pair of Old Navy khakis that have a rise of about 12".
So far no one has posted information that tops it. I would like to get something higher but do not see an alternative.

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Yep, I think the idea is to buy a bigger waist and lenght and this will give a higher rise.

Its tricky.
Because if you take the pants in too much, the pockets in the rear will get too close.
I've compared some pants that were a size or two too large for me, really it seems that the adjustment in the pattern is in the front to allow for a bigger gut. So with khakis, you might get a bigger rise, but the watchpocket might be way off center for you and maybe even your side pockets might end up a bit further back than you'd like...MAybe if the pants were pleated, then it could be worked out.

And not all modern pants are constructed to be tailored.

Feraud

Bartender
MrBern said:
Its tricky.
Because if you take the pants in too much, the pockets in the rear will get too close.
I've compared some pants that were a size or two too large for me, really it seems that the adjustment in the pattern is in the front to allow for a bigger gut. So with khakis, you might get a bigger rise, but the watchpocket might be way off center for you and maybe even your side pockets might end up a bit further back than you'd like...MAybe if the pants were pleated, then it could be worked out.

And not all modern pants are constructed to be tailored.
Thanks for the info MrBern. It makes perfect sense!

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
and my wife comments they are "too high". Then I know they are keepers. ;)

I gifted myself some WWII paratrooper pants from AtTheFront.com
They are basically buttonfly khaki cargopants w/ suspender buttons.
So I pulled the box from under the tree, thanked Santa & tried them on.
And my mom & sisters started moaning that they are "tooo high"
but I am happy. And I pulled on a sweater so they wouldnt fixate on the suspenders & 'rise'.

I thank the elves at the workshop for getting the rise correct. ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
MrBern said:
my mom & sisters started moaning that they are "tooo high"
Ya, you'll get that reaction from fashion conscious folks, as low rise is currently in .;)

Speedster

Practically Family
GregNYC said:
Here's the listing:
http://tinyurl.com/yyyv3v

Almost a 36. Here are the sizes:

size 30 Waist approx 80cm length approx 85cm
size 31 Waist approx 82cm length approx 88cm
size 32 Waist approx 84cm length approx 88cm
size 33 Waist approx 86cm length approx 88cm
size 34 Waist approx 90cm length approx 90cm
size 35 Waist approx 92cm length approx 90cm

65_12.JPG

Here's the listing:
http://tinyurl.com/yyyv3v

Thanks a lot!

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Great Ceasar's Ghost those Buz Rickson's are expensive.

I used to buy Eddie Bauer Khaki's in the high rise and they fit and wore pretty well. I believe they are now all wrinkle and stain treated. I'm old fashioned, i prefer unreated.

I suggest the high rise... haven't had the untreated pairs and with eddie Bauer the pleats look fine...

Flat Front
http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?cm_cg=T347&product_id=30012&.rand=disabled

Pleated
http://www.eddiebauer.com/eb/product.asp?cm_cg=T347&product_id=30013&.rand=disabled

pablocham

One of the Regulars
Don't buy the ebay buzz rickson's. I have purchased them direct from Japan and with shipping they come out to about 100-110 and are well worth it. They are the best Chino trousers you will ever own.

The measurement of rise isn't meaningful unless you also know the size of waist. My size 33 Ricksons measure out to a 12.5 inch rise. They cover up my belly button comfortably.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member

Thanks to Mr Bern, I can say that getting your hands on an original pair of military-issue pants is very well worth the search.

Thanks Pal! :)

Canadave

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
...I used to buy Eddie Bauer Khaki's in the high rise and they fit and wore pretty well. I believe they are now all wrinkle and stain treated. I'm old fashioned, i prefer unreated...

I fear that a day will come that we can't buy untreated (modern) khakis. :mad:

David

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
Thanks to Mr Bern, I can say that getting your hands on an original pair of military-issue pants is very well worth the search.

Thanks Pal! :)

My pleasure! You should post a pic of yourself to illustrate the proper high waisted khaki.

Actually, Last year, I helped IndyGuybrush locate some WWII wool trousers. He posted pix in this thread
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=5574

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley