Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PanamaBob hat by way of Mike Moore [Buckaroo Hatters]

RBH

Bartender
Flieger said:
RBH: If you by "Robert" mean "PanamaBob" I already decided to order my next Panama from him. What and when that will be is not yet decided though... we only have a few months of straw hat weather here in the north of Sweden. I have to confer with "She Who Must Be Obeyed" If I'm allowed another hat this summer. :eek: lol

/F

I tell you my friend you 'HAVE MADE THE RIGHT CHOICE!.'

Robert {PanamaBob}needs to have time, [as to the weaveing of the hat] but he will do his best to get you what you want.
Thanks!!! for your support!!!

RBH

Bartender
DOUGLAS said:
I think the hat looks pretty damn cool myself RBH. You seem to be quite satisfied judging by your photos. I particularly like the brim to crown proportion, Its right up my alley.

Thank you Douglas.. I really do like a wider brim... but this hat is sweet and I do think it looks great!

Edward

Bartender
Clearly there's a whoel heap of politics gonig on I'm ignorant of.... sounds like I'll want to keep it that way, too!

I like the look of that hat. I like a wide brim myself - as near three inches as it's go - though IMO a quarter of an inch is neither here no there, especially not when you're giving up a little bit of the brim for as distinctive a touch as that. I really like how that bound edge looks - adds a really classy touch (puts me in mind of the Akubra... Stlyemaster is it - the fedora with the bound edge) that sets it apart from other fedoras. The matching ribbon really is a great finishing touch. I think it would go really well with a black linen blazer as an alternative, and veyr ditinctive, hot weather look to the run of the mill. Great hat. Makes me wish it was payday already, as I need a new panama...

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Edward said:
Clearly there's a whoel heap of politics gonig on I'm ignorant of.... sounds like I'll want to keep it that way, too!

Bingo. Hats from first to last. The rest is, or should be, silence. I stitched a dark brim binding on the panama I once owned. It seemed like a good idea at the time...then I kept looking at it, along with the thin black ribbon I put on it, and I realized I was fixating on the ribbon treatment, not the hat as a hat, and I simply removed the brim binding. I think I would have been better putting on a grey or silver, maybe a light earth tone brim binding, but as is usually the case I gave the hat to a friend. I had trimmed the brim down to a 2 and 7/8" from it's awesome original size which I do not recall the dimensions of, and the brim binding seemed a better bet to secure the weaving over simply stitching it with white or clear thread (really thin fish line), like the Borsalino straw I own has. I don't have a digital camera so I rarely post pictures, sorry, but if RBH likes his hat as it is, that's fine. I couldn't seem to be at peace with the starkness of the black and white efffect of the brim binding I put on. I lean much more toward the complimentary ribbon to hat body color combinations.

dean

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
deanglen said:
I lean much more toward the complimentary ribbon to hat body color combinations.

I think for a bound edge and thin ribbon to work on a panama, I agree that a complementary combination works best. For a long time, my main straw hat was a Colombian straw that I picked up at Worth and Worth a few years back. It was a dark tan in color, and had a khaki green bound edge and thin ribbon. Killer combination.

Cheers,
JtL

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Rusty...

You still have this hat? (See first posts with broken links, here repaired.)

hpim1586rw7.jpg

Ever wear it? Would you consider a bound-brim straw again?

warbird

One Too Many
I don't know if he still has it, but I like the look of it. I have a PB hat that got wet and I cannot get it to look right again. I may take mine to Mike and have it reblocked. I would the brim on mine to be shorter as well.

Bantam Man

One of the Regulars
Cuenca di Razzman

Zemke Fan said:
Where's that bound-brim Panama of yours?? (Can't find the thread!)

Perhaps you mean a wonderful cuenca that went through the hands of Art Fawcett, and was provided by him with a occre-green ribbon and brim? That hat resides over here, in the Netherlands, these days. With many thanks to Razzman!

Sorry, I do not have a picture at hand. (Could dug out one of Razzmans pictures, if you like.) Be assured that this unique hat is still in great shape. I enjoy it very much.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
That would be very kind of you...

Bantam Man said:
(Could dug out one of Razzmans pictures, if you like.)
I got TWO from PB back in 2008 and couldn't stand the brim width. Was thinking about having them cut down and bound, but not sure how that would work out.

RBH

Bartender
Zemke Fan said:
You still have this hat? (See first posts with broken links, here repaired.)

hpim1586rw7.jpg

Ever wear it? Would you consider a bound-brim straw again?
No I do not wear it. The brim is way to short for my taste.
Robert gave me the hat to try. The edge of the brim was woven very irregular. Mike did his best with the short brim and bound edge. There really was not enough brim to trim.
But yes i would consider another bound edge panama if the brim was at least 2 5\8s.
hope this helps!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe