Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Opinions on H&M cotton khaki suit

Feraud

Bartender
daniel_craig_suit.jpg
DSC00607a-1.jpg

Go on and say it, separated at birth! ;)

Then again, I really look like a midget with those two photos side by side.

StanleyVanBuren

What this experience has taught me:

Fit is THE most important thing. EVAR.

I know, I know... I already knew this. But I kept thinking I was finding suits that fit me right... and I wasn't.

Now that I have this linen 34R suit, I can really feel exactly how a suit SHOULD fit my frame.

It has been my misfortune that too many RTW suitmakers offer suits in size 38 as their lowest size. Even my two suits that I managed to find in a 36R simply do not fit as well as the 34R, which is obviously my true size. Until this, I would always just go with the smallest I could find and figure it would be as good as I was going to get.

Wrong.

I'm tempted to just sell all my other suits and start fresh at this point. Alas, this wouldn't be financially feasible at the moment.

What is wrong with America? Why do the majority of RTW places not offer size 34 or even size 36? I know there are a lot of fat Americans but I can't be the only skinny one. Is there something I'm missing here? Because otherwise it seems like I need to buy all my suits from H&M from now on, or simply go bespoke once I can afford to. How annoying.

For 34 you're going to be resticted to the kids section and H & M (i speak from experience. I went vintage largely because of the size fascism of modern men's RTW clothing). In the UK we have Topshop who also go down to 36, but not 34. They have very 60s inspired stingy lapels this year with a fitted silhouette. H & M are a bit cheaper and a bit behind.

bk

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
:cheers1: To being small! Yeah- it's a pain in the arse finding modern stuff that fits well- I've had to get most RTW altered (which is economically feasible here in Asia but less so in the states/western Europe). Like BK, that's why I was attracted to vintage and Asian bespoke/MTM clothing.

BTW, Stanley, when are you going to wear that black tie with a 4IH with that spread collar shirt??

StanleyVanBuren

Baron Kurtz said:
For 34 you're going to be resticted to the kids section and H & M (i speak from experience. I went vintage largely because of the size fascism of modern men's RTW clothing). In the UK we have Topshop who also go down to 36, but not 34. They have very 60s inspired stingy lapels this year with a fitted silhouette. H & M are a bit cheaper and a bit behind.

bk

Yeah, I've been to Topman. I can't deal with those lapels. Their suits are just too styled to be something I could wear at work... or past the end of the year when it goes out of style.

My navy pinstripe is from Next and is a 36R, and is probably my second-best fitting suit.

Mr. Rover said:
:cheers1: To being small! Yeah- it's a pain in the arse finding modern stuff that fits well- I've had to get most RTW altered (which is economically feasible here in Asia but less so in the states/western Europe). Like BK, that's why I was attracted to vintage and Asian bespoke/MTM clothing.

BTW, Stanley, when are you going to wear that black tie with a 4IH with that spread collar shirt??

Is it possible to alter the chest though? My suits fit fine in the shoulders, there's just too much material in the chest & upper back area. I ultimately don't think it would be worth it at this point to try to fix them. As much as I like my black SBPL, I can always just have another made bespoke once I can afford it that will fit properly rather than trying to tear this one apart and hope it can be improved and not ruined in the process.

And I DID do the black suit thing; there is a post about it in Suits. I don't think I got it quite right though so I'm going to re-do it when I get the chance. I didn't do a 4IH so maybe I will try one, or a double-wrapped version, or something.

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
It's quite easy to have it altered, maybe less so with full lining. With the vintage stuff with skeleton lining, they either take it in at the back or the two seams near the sides of the back. I've found that leaving space in the chest helps to create the illusion of a fuller chest, but the figure is much more flattering when it fits closer through the waist and hips.

neyus

New in Town
The new suit is much better. Not sure why you persist with those billard ball sized knots. But it looks less dramatic with the new shirt collar and you look better than 95% of the male population dressed in a suit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth