Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

One Leather Jacket to keep rest of your life?

Trouser Bark

Familiar Face
Long time listener, first time caller.

I have a few leather jackets and have for the most part just bought whatever moved me at the moment I saw it. A couple Schotts, a Wilson, a Vanson, etc. Mistakes have been made but I like them all well enough.

I'd like to try this differently next time and that would be to better understand what aspects of a jacket I particularly like and then be able to make an informed choice rather than buying another jacket that has features I appreciate but otherwise isn't all that and a bag of chips for me.

What I don't have so far is a thick jacket where the leather rolls in a way that makes it look protective yet pliable and maybe even soft. An example of what I see and like is the photo below off of the Schott site. I know I can call them up and ask what that jacket is but I'm hoping for a little fuller understanding of what I'm looking at... like type of hide, likely thickness, method of tanning and something that a factory might not convey like is what I'm looking at and what I like an element of time and use more than it might be a particular process or specification?

How does it fit this thread?

Once I've a better understanding of what I like and why I will use your feedback to buy another jacket. Thanks in advance for the perspective.

And yeah, of the jackets I have the one that seems sweetest to me is a Dainese Mike Pella II. Supple, protective, armored, and it smells righteous. It can be worn on the bike and it can be worn into someone else's office w/out attracting unusual attention. I'll have it for a long time.

Here's that Schott...

Men%27s-JAckets3.jpg

And here's what the Dainese Mike Pella II looks like. Integral back protector, shoulders, etc. and they're thin pads. I sometimes wonder what value they may have but when the mess hits the fan, some is better than none.

dainese-mike-2-jacke.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mads