Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

On Retirement And Hats

Although not a top priority, we are looking forward to some travel in the coming years. Return visits to Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Germany are on our list. And, for some unexplained reason, I have always wanted to see the white cliffs of Dover.

There is still much for us to explore in north America, however. Colorado this fall, the northeast U.S. for the fall foliage in '25, perhaps the Canadian Rockies the following year...Alaska at some point. We spend several weeks each year in the mountains of New Mexico, and it will be nice to go on vacation and not have to worry about "being back in the office Monday morning".

Above all, I think little league baseball, dance recitals, and junior livestock shows with the grandkids will be the best part of retirement. Kids grow up mighty fast these days. My father did not live long enough to see very much of his grandchildren and I suppose I'm wanting to make up for some of the things he didn't get to see.

View attachment 638428
Your Best photo, Randy. Best!!

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Although not a top priority, we are looking forward to some travel in the coming years. Return visits to Ireland, Scotland, Italy and Germany are on our list. And, for some unexplained reason, I have always wanted to see the white cliffs of Dover.

dover1.jpg dover2.jpg dover3.jpg

You want to see the white cliffs at Dover Randy.

Forces Sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn sang of bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover as she once paid homage to the iconic British landmark that became a symbol of home and of our war time defences. But what makes the cliffs such an enduring icon of British resistance?

Dame Vera’s role in cementing the cliffs into the fabric of the British psyche cannot be underestimated as, during the Second World War, her uplifting lyrics of the White Cliffs of Dover song resonated with the British people, and her Allies, as they faced the onslaught of German bombings, giving the nation hope that, tomorrow, "There'll be bluebirds over the White cliffs of Dover tomorrow, just you wait and see."

Thousands upon thousands of troops embarked from Britain's southern shoreline. Here in Dorset, where I live, twenty thousand US troops went to war from Weymouth. About a year before the Covid lockdown we were at a wonderful re-enactment of that event. I remember that it was a glorious day. You would have loved it.

Enjoy the blessings that are your Grandchildren, enjoy your travels and I wish you many happy days of retirement.

I learned this year that the reason there is such an unbreakable bond between us grandparents and our grandkids is that we have a common enemy… their parents!!
My wife and I have found a great gig.....My niece and nephew have two children each and in the past few years have been doing fill-in grandparenting duty.

It is a great job......we get to enjoy their wonderful children, our only role to mind them, keep them safe, stop them from burning the house down, feed them occasionally, create weird, fun, engaging things to do, and at the same time enjoying a healthy adult relationship with their parents, Unburdened by any possible problematic history that can exist between children and parents. Best of all possible worlds.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful indeed. Thanks for the history lesson. Beautiful and meaningful is a hard combination to beat.

View attachment 638490 View attachment 638491 View attachment 638492

You want to see the white cliffs at Dover Randy.

Forces Sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn sang of bluebirds over the white cliffs of Dover as she once paid homage to the iconic British landmark that became a symbol of home and of our war time defences. But what makes the cliffs such an enduring icon of British resistance?

Dame Vera’s role in cementing the cliffs into the fabric of the British psyche cannot be underestimated as, during the Second World War, her uplifting lyrics of the White Cliffs of Dover song resonated with the British people, and her Allies, as they faced the onslaught of German bombings, giving the nation hope that, tomorrow, "There'll be bluebirds over the White cliffs of Dover tomorrow, just you wait and see."

Thousands upon thousands of troops embarked from Britain's southern shoreline. Here in Dorset, where I live, twenty thousand US troops went to war from Weymouth. About a year before the Covid lockdown we were at a wonderful re-enactment of that event. I remember that it was a glorious day. You would have loved it.

Enjoy the blessings that are your Grandchildren, enjoy your travels and I wish you many happy days of retirement.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
1725882800696.png

1725882945803.png

What a fabulous thread this is turning out to be. Thank you to both of you for sharing. I have spent a worrying weekend caring for my lady. This morning her enigmatic smile is back, when I showed her these photos the smile became an enormous grin. Gentlemen, your grandchildren in those photos have been a tonic, thank you again. Just wonderful.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
It did not take long after these three came into our lives to realize why they call them grand!!!!
I look forward to the next year and 1/2 passing so more time can be spent making
memories .

8yUBkx.jpg
Beautiful Rusty and beautifully said!
B

Reactions: RBH
Thank you. Yes, she's a keeper!
I learned this year that the reason there is such an unbreakable bond between us grandparents and our grandkids is that we have a common enemy… their parents!
It did not take long after these three came into our lives to realize why they call them grand!!!!
I look forward to the next year and 1/2 passing so more time can be spent making
memories .

8yUBkx.jpg
Look at the beam of pride coming from those faces!!! Love it, Rusty.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
It is difficult to explain the joy between grandparents and grandchildren during those magical years before the Kids are old enough to have the weight of the world begin to bear down on their shoulders. Their smiles are, indeed, infectious!

View attachment 638534
View attachment 638535
What a fabulous thread this is turning out to be. Thank you to both of you for sharing. I have spent a worrying weekend caring for my lady. This morning her enigmatic smile is back, when I showed her these photos the smile became an enormous grin. Gentlemen, your grandchildren in those photos have been a tonic, thank you again. Just wonderful.

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My hat wearing has declined significantly since I retired.
When I was working, I wore a fedora and long coat almost every day. I lived in a European city where the weather was cool or cold nine months out of the year and the sky was always spitting. No one gave me a second look.
Then I retired to small town Oahu.
One day my mailman said “Oh I recognize you. You‘re the guy I always see walking around town in your hat.” Made me feel a little conspicuous in more ways than one.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
For me, retirement has had a slowing affect on hat buying. But I now have 7 other distractions (so far) that keep me in a state of semi-euphoria. As the saying goes, had we known earlier how great grandkids are, we’d have skipped kids altogether!
Two of my 7 favorites; Art Fawcett lid.

View attachment 638749
granddad.jpg
Compliments to you Charlie, what a fabulous photo!

TheOldFashioned

Call Me a Cab
I’m only following your lead, Bo.

Besides, I will never ever make claim to that position since our visit to “The Villages” retirement community in Florida last year. I had a “World’s Best Grampa” T-shirt received as a gift. Wearing it publicly around there was cause for a fight!!

It's go time:
ItsGoTime.PNG

Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum! Mandelbaum!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1