Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old vs New

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Michaelson said:
Another thing being gradually lost in the 'old vs. new' are the craftsmen who can KEEP the old things going. My particular interests fall to watches...and finding a craftsman who can keep a good solid timepiece working in proper condition is not that easy these days. I only found what I needed by becoming a member of the NAWCC, but for those who only like to wear or carry them, it takes some effort to find someone who can do the job properly. This is also reflected in just about all aspects of our interest.

So, support the craftsmen you know, or find. Without them, we'll see those items we use and love disappear into oblivion.

Regards! Michaelson

Which brings me back to my point of the newer technology making people not so capable of doing a "craft" or "trade". So many things are done with computers today that a good craftsman or mechanic or tradesman is hard to find. It's all push button. We have a couple of field survey crew in our Company that use the latest technology for surveying. The big problem with that is, that it is all push button. They don't understand or really know the princeples behind what they do. Give them a transit a tape measure and a plumbob and their lost.

Most of my neighbors I rarely see out in their fron yards except to mow the lawn. On top of it the don't seen to interested in socializing. There is something to be said for a tigh knit community. I just wished there were more of them around. I live in Paso Roble wine country in California. Most folks are pretty friendly, but you don't get that sence of welcome in some neighborhoods. Folks peeking out from behind drapes, and putting bars on their front door. This is a small rural area, not the big city. It's really sad to see this area become like that. But at least it isn't wide spread. I loe the area I live in, I grew up here and know plenty of folks. It would just be nice if the neighborhood was frendlier.

So far, here is where I have met the frendliest folks around. A nice tight knit community in cyberspace. Just a keystroke away seperated only by cables and satelites. I have met here, in a sence, people I would consider friends and neighbors. Folks I can Kibitz with and share knowledge and insight. So in a way we have formed our own tight knit community right here on the Lounge. Looks to be a nice neighborhood to hang out in.

Cheers!

Dan

Braxton36

One of the Regulars
Something I think about...

I completely understand the penchant so many of us have for older vs newer. Part of it is stylistic, part of it is quality, part of it is nostalgia. And part of it is simply unique to us individually.

But when you acquire something vintage or antique, do you ever wonder about the person or people who owned it before you? Whether it came from a family member or someone totally unknown, I often think about what they looked like, where they lived or what their circumstances were. The more I know, the more I tend to like whatever the item is.

boomerchop

One of the Regulars
Braxton36 said:
I completely understand the penchant so many of us have for older vs newer. Part of it is stylistic, part of it is quality, part of it is nostalgia. And part of it is simply unique to us individually.

But when you acquire something vintage or antique, do you ever wonder about the person or people who owned it before you? Whether it came from a family member or someone totally unknown, I often think about what they looked like, where they lived or what their circumstances were. The more I know, the more I tend to like whatever the item is.

I find myself wondering about the original users of the old tools I buy. As part of my retro lifestyle, I collect and enjoy using old hand tools. I have several Stanley planes that are about 100 years old, with initials stamped in them and owner's marks. I wonder where they have been and what they have created. Who bought them and how were they cared for so that they could be passed on to me. I'll never know of course, but it is fascinating to think about. Of course, looking at some of the furniture that craftsman of old created, like a Pennsylvania secretary, and then realizing that it was all done without power tools is really humbling. Those guys were craftsman and artists!

Paul

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Yes, there is something wonderful about holding a small piece of history. One of my favorites is the old photographs od the towns I've grown up in. A small freeze frame in time of buildings, people and cars long gone. Some of the old buildings remain so you can actually touch the building that was photographed so long a go. Then you ask why and how it was taken. There are some wonderful pictures of the old Paso Robles Hotel that was built in 1888 and burned down in 1941.
03_paso.jpg

05_paso.jpg

The Hotel and their grounds spanned 3 square city blocks and had a beautiful garden and park. The only thing left of it now is the old banquet hall. A new Motor Lodge was built from the ashes, but nothing to match the greandure of the past. But that one piece can be touched, and with that touch one can be transported back to a bygone era. That is what i enjoy about the vintage stuff.

Cheers!

Dan

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
I've delved pretty deeply into photographs of my city in it's bygone glory and then bitterly complained to myself about how much of it has been abandoned and/or torn down... Ech.

L_H

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Whether it's an old camera or a old pistol, whatever "it" is it just "feels" good. I can tell you why people generally like old cars. I take mine to public events and these old cars elicit emotions and memories of all kinds from the viewers. They go back in time for a short while an relive fond times and that's good.

I collect pictures of old cars, airplanes and old buildings so I can dig it.

GraveRobberGreg

Familiar Face
I would have to agree with Michaelson ( I always do) 70's and Vintage just dont sound right together.

I was searching Ebay for vintage clothes and hats the other day and was dumbfounded to see everything from the 70's and 80's. I just cant get my mind to put the two together. I was born in 70 and I'm not Vintage:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken