Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

office sealed since the `30s

Michaelson

One Too Many
One of the neatest stories I've heard came from the late 70's, early 80's, when the city opened up (to a VERY small group) the underground shops in NYC that had been built for Morgan and Vanderbilt. Seems when the original subway system was built, the Vanderbilts and Morgans paid handsomely (and VERY quietly) for a private station to be built for their exclusive use. If you've ever read the sequel book to the horror classic 'The Relic' (the one they made the movie from), the original story took place in NYC, NOT Chicago. Some of the sequel (The Reliquary, I believe is the book's title) even takes place in this storied station.

There were a great many private shops built at that level for the use of these gilded aged families where they could shop at leisure, and not be bothered by the 'commoners' up on the busy New York streets. When Morgan died, the station, shops, and all were walled up and left as they stood, never to be opened again. When they were briefly opened again, a lot of the old textiles were taken from the shops and sold privately through NY auction houses. If there's anyone in the commercial costume business, they may recall a sudden and unexplained appearance of original 1880's to early 1900's material for sale on the private market in the mid 1980's. Well, now you know where it came from. I know a couple folks who were in on those sales, as well as the removal of the contents from the stores, and am fortunate to actually own a vest made from vesting material from that stash. The material is in excellent condition too! They made textiles a LOT hardier then than they do today!!

How would YOU have liked to have been with the exclusive group who got to peek into a long closed off world of the gilded age....? I know I would have!! At least I own a piece of that world through my vest, and a lot of other folks do too who purchased either the material or garments made from that material, but have NO idea where it originally came from.

Regards! Michaelson

Wild Root

Gone Home
Oh wow, that's a really cool story! Now, the next best thing would be to find in the back of some warehouse a large box containing a slew of three piece belted back suits in my size that you see in all the Sears Catalogs!;)

NOS model T's are really cool! If it were I, I'd build it and enjoy it. Keeping it up and in nice shape but, must put it to work for what it was intended... DRIVING!!!

=WR=

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Michael Mallory said:
Then a few years later I read something about the set of Cecil B. DeMille's original "Ten Commandments," shot in 1923. DeMille went to a remote part of Central California called Guadalupe, where there were acres of sand dunes right on Pacific shore, and that stood in for Egypt. He built a huge Egyptian facade representing the palace of the Pharaoh, and a boulevard of sphinxes. Then for reasons known only to C.B., when they were done shooting he buried the entire set in the sand. It was not well known at that time that the set was still up there. So I convinced my wife to take a vacation in that direction and go up and look. A hiked around in the freezing sand (that wind off the ocean can be nasty) until I found what was clearly the rubble of a ruined "city" -- it was DeMille's Egypt. There were still frames of chariots laying around. Today, it has all been cordoned off for official excavation, and you can't go up there anymore. But I still have my chunk of painted plaster from the "temple" that I, uh, borrowed from the site.

MM: I've been to that site several times myself. It's right down the road from me about 45minut drive. It's pretty neat to view.

Cheers!

Dan

20thCenturyTim

New in Town
Road Trip to Evansville

Ok, I can see I might have to put on my crack investigators fedora, get in the station wagon and make the two hour trip to Evansville. In another version of the article it says Lucille is a yoga instuctor and alternative healer. Well, there can't be that many in Evansville. I will try an track down the address in the phone book. My Bloomington library ought to have an Evansville one. That Ohio River town has a lot of nice old homes too. If I get down there, I will report back. If it is not already too late, maybe I can relieve her of some of that "old stuff." ;)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just saw this post!

Michaelson said:
One of the neatest stories I've heard...when the city opened up (to a VERY small group) the underground shops in NYC that had been built for Morgan and Vanderbilts...
How would YOU have liked to have been with the exclusive group who got to peek into a long closed off world of the gilded age....?

That is about the coolest thing I've read anywhere - amazing!

Hannigan Reilly

One of the Regulars
Check out this addicting site: urban ruins

it is one of those photgraphy sites of urban exploration. Most are beautiful state hospitals built at the turn of the century- completely abandoned and falling to ruins. The photography and architecture are equally amazing! There is also a power plant and the Studebaker factory in South Bend photographed there.

Tony in Tarzana

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Great site, Hannigan. I've been looking at the Stude plant pictures. Isn't there an "Indiana Film Commission" or something like that? I'd bet a lot of movie directors would love to film in that facility. Lots of interesting and spooky detail.

fortworthgal

Call Me a Cab
What a fascinating story! I love hearing about things like this. It gives me hope. lol

Hannigan Reilly said:
Check out this addicting site: urban ruins

it is one of those photgraphy sites of urban exploration. Most are beautiful state hospitals built at the turn of the century- completely abandoned and falling to ruins. The photography and architecture are equally amazing! There is also a power plant and the Studebaker factory in South Bend photographed there.

I am ADDICTED to websites about urban ruins. I especially love those sites about the old state hospitals. My grandfather worked in the old Worcester State Hospital - one of the old Kirkbride style buildings - that is now one of those ruins.

Story

I'll Lock Up
EVIDENCE DATES BACK TO 1930s

Moonshine, marijuana and murder trial evidence found
Old evidence intact in ‘forgotten’ room at courthouse
http://www.mainstreetnews.com/2006/May/J0503B.html

Archivists working to preserve county documents in the old Jackson County courthouse recently uncovered something a bit more risqu?© than old dusty mortgage books.

In a small room just off a vault on the first floor, archivists Charlotte Mealor of the Jackson County Historical Society and Linda Aaron of the University of Georgia found a large pile of old trial evidence, including bags filled with marijuana, jars of moonshine, and what appears to be the clothing worn by Charlie Drake on the night he was murdered.
[snip]
The materials found date back to the 1930s and include a large amount of marijuana, several jars of moonshine, several cans of Schlitz, stolen packets of cigarettes, crime scene pictures, stolen socks, a truck tire, a pistol, a tape recorder and various documents. “You name it, we got it,” Godfrey said of the pile.

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Great stories. One time I got to go into an old hardware store from the 30's with my Dad (he was working for the guy that owned it). Some of it was still intact with the counters were purchases were made and an old stove. Not as good a story as some of you others, but it was still quit an experience for me. I have always dreamed of a time capsule.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82