Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Octoberfest/Oktoberfest in the US

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Flat Foot Floey said:
Haha Hepville. It's no use. Put on your Lederhosen and dance the polka.

I have never been to the Oktoberfest. I am from the Ruhrgebiet. I don't know what tradition would be similar to this here. We just drink our beer and make no fuss about it. I also don't think that I like the bavarian beers so much.

Ok now I am thirsty.

Lederhosen... why not? But not those Seppelhosen:)
Some "Lovesick Blues" by Mr. Hank Williams, a bottle of Becks or Jever besides... Prost!:beer:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hepville said:
Again: Please don´t mix this Oktoberfest thing up generally with German traditions... it´s a local thing beside many other traditions and celebrations.

What would you think if we would make a feast here overseas with Texas BBQ, corn pone, Cajun music, bull riding and we would call it "American Indipendence Day Party"?

...not so god, eh? ;)

Actually Hepville, if y'all put on a Munich Independence Day celebration with something resembling Texas BBQ, Cajun Music, carnival rides, a Miss Independence contest (preferably with swimsuit competition), a parade, and fireworks, a bunch of goofs from America would show up for it. Just don't actually have it on July 4th because that's when EVERYTHING is here. Have it when the weather is in the 70's F and you'll do fine.

My home town is considering moving their 4th of July celebration that's been going on for more than 50 years because EVERY town around them also has a celebration.

Later

Hepville

One of the Regulars
Got ya, 1961MJS.
It´s just so annoying that the German culture is often reduced to bavarian folklore... have worked for a few years abroad and have experienced this a couple of times... that´s not doing justice to the bavarians and the rest of us.
A hanseatic guy from the north shore like me don´t want to be compared/ equalized with Knödel eating, Weißbier drinking folks on the Oktoberfest...apart from that most of those are Aussies anyway I guess;)

And I think a person from New England e.g. don´t want to be called Redneck either ;)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hepville said:
Got ya, 1961MJS.
It´s just so annoying that the German culture is often reduced to bavarian folklore... have worked for a few years abroad and have experienced this a couple of times... that´s not doing justice to the bavarians and the rest of us.
A hanseatic guy from the north shore like me don´t want to be compared/ equalized with Knödel eating, Weißbier drinking folks on the Oktoberfest...apart from that most of those are Aussies anyway I guess;)

And I think a person from New England e.g. don´t want to be called Redneck either ;)

I understand how you feel about that one. I live in Kansas, and we had a guy move here about 20 years ago from New York City. He didn't understand that we didn't wear a cowboy rig and a couple of .45 Revolvers every day.

I only know where one of my ancestors came from, his name was Berund Mueller from Sögel in the Emsland district, in Lower Saxony, Germany. We still have the packing crate in the garage with the Bremerhaven or Wilhelmshaven (don't remember) label on it. Great-great Grandfather come over in 1865 and was supposed to have been stuck behind Abe Lincoln's funeral train on it's way from Washington DC to Illinois.

Later

filfoster

One Too Many
Oktoberkampf

Hepville said:
Got ya, 1961MJS.

"Aussies" = from Austria? Osterreich? Not Australia!

The Lonely Navigator

Practically Family
Hepville: It´s just so annoying that the German culture is often reduced to bavarian folklore...

I agree with that. Everything is either Bavarian or Black Forest...the part of Germany that I have an interest in is simply forgotten altogether. Maybe that's why I'm just not crazy about all the German festivities...because it's all south German culture.:(

And before I end - there is also this in my state:

http://www.mifflinburgchristkindlmarket.com/

I'm sure there's others about the U.S. much like it. Again - with emphasis on south Germany...

*sighs*:(

dnjan

One Too Many
Hepville said:
Got ya, 1961MJS.
It´s just so annoying that the German culture is often reduced to bavarian folklore...
Never been to Bavaria, but I try to always include a couple of days along the Rhine whenever I am in Germany. No crowded beer "tents", just relaxing Weinstuben.

JimWagner

Practically Family
I played tuba in a German band here for around 14 years. I can say that with the exception of the actual Germans in the audience most people wouldn't have known or really cared much about the distinction between Bavaria and the rest of Germany. What our customers cared about was drinking some good beer, eating some good food and having a good time. Which they did. As for the Germans, they were happy because we actually played old German tunes from all over Germany and other places, not just Bavaria.

It was a party, not a social studies exercise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld