Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nylon jackets question

smithcorona

New in Town
Hello everyone,

If this question is on the wrong forum please let me know.

Since so many of the members here are versed in their flight jacket knowledge I was wondering if the cut and fit differs on the B-15(C) and MA-1?

Anyone own an example of either of these jackets from Buzz Rickson? If so what do you think?

thank you

smithcorona

greyhound68

A-List Customer
The B-15C from BR is a bit on the short side as were the originals. The MA-1 first edition Lion uniform is also a bit on the short side. I have had the BR and now an original in size Large which fits the chest and shoulders fine but is a bit short. Most of the 50s nylon jackets were a bit short in length. The early 1960s jackets were a bit longer and therefore fit me better. I had to go to an XL in the C model grey lined L-2B Skyline model. All the larges were too small in the chest and too short. Interesting that the Rolen B model L-2B fit perfectly in a size large as did my A model Blue Anchor Overall L-2B.

Peacoat

Bartender
Yes, that is a problem. Evidently they have had difficulties in the past with "ghost accounts." That rule has been in effect for a year or so now. Maybe Bill French, who is the head moderator of the Nylon section will see your post and take pity on you. He is a member here as well.

I take it that MSN is your ISP?

smithcorona

New in Town
Yeah MSN is my ISP. It has allowed me to sign on to many more forums than say Hotmail, so I guess this is my first problem with it.

I'd have to say I'm interested in seeing the VLJ.

I've kind of settled on the nylon jackets because I already own a Langlitz so I don't know if I need another high quality leather jacket at this time. Plus some of the nylon jackets are insulated, something my Cascade is not.

smithcorona

bobbyball

One of the Regulars
I own a B15B BR modified and it is a little on the short side. Actually this is authentic to the originals as they were usually worn with nylon flight trousers which were high-waisted with braces/suspenders.

The various contractors slightly varied in fit – for example, an Albert Turner from 1959 will fit slightly different to a Skyline clothing from the early 60s.

I have also noticed a variation in arm width and length with early B15 and MA1 jackets.

I am actually a fairly true modern day size 44 chest but own an Albert Turner 1959 spec MA1 in a medium and this fits me fine – Iam sure a medium would normally equate to a 40-42 chest so you cannot be too prescriptive about sizes. The Turner also fits neatly across the shoulders without any overhang. The early jackets are much more substantial due to the double faced cotton and wool blanket interlining. These jackets have more internal structure and the work that goes into them is phenomenal.

Peacoat

Bartender
SC, send me an email and I will get in touch with Bill French to see what he can do for you. rmiller172 at hotmail.com replace the at with the @ and close the gaps. I would send you a PM, but you don't have enough posts yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe