Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nutty Neighbors

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hookers and welfare slackers, not to mention the drugs

Hookers. Drug users and dealers. "Warefare" mothers. Oh, they were mothers, all right. I live on the edge of the get-to but this was ridiculous. The poor landlord was stuck with these renters who turned out to be, surprise, deadbeats. Cost me hundreds to replace the beautiful and loved 1920 driveway with the grass strip up the center and the unmatched concrete on either side. :( :( :( Oh, didn't I mention they used our driveway? Several times a day
? The thug said to my WWII veteran dad "What are you gonna do about it?" when my dad wanted him to move the nasty loud car and not park there ever again. I feared for my dad's safety. Babies' daddies, johns, drug users, ho girlfriends, rides: all day, all night, Marianne. Unending. Accosting my then-fiance. Propositioning my young hubby. They did NOT say more than one sentence to me, ever, I told them off: oh, gee, I could have had a career change! Police said they could do nothing about it, even the policemen I knew. Too many sleepless nights, mailbox pawed through, dogs hit.:rage: Reason, I had no 100% proof. (Must purchase that video camera.) I even got a stoned x-rated comment when my dad and I got into my dad's Subaru WRX on my wedding day. Oh, yes, easy chairs were set up in the front yard. Jaguar automoblies and plasma TVs were leased.
Miraculously, they slithered away in the middle of the night. After that,a year of a vacant property, maintained by my friend the unfortunate landlord, was ironic bliss!!!!!

Daisy Buchanan said:
I'm totally coming for a visit!! I'd be more than happy to babysit your darling Daniel for a few nights, give you and Mrs. Powers a few romantic evenings together, in exchange for some freshly grown goodies and tips on how to grow them!:D

lol lol lol You know what they say, an expert is someone who just knows a few more things than you. :p Its not all that hard really. The darned growing things is in my blood. Too many farmers and ranchers in my background. :p

Barry

Practically Family
"Front lawn paving" was a problem in certain parts of Northern Virginia. I'll bet it's happening in other areas as well. I believe there was an article in the Washington Post about recent immigrants moving in together to save money. The homeowners were paving 75%+ of their entire front lawns so that they could have extra parking spaces. Obviously, this is a major zoning issue.

My 89 year old grandmother has a next door neighbor who drives a truck. He parks it on his front lawn (or back yard) sometimes. She asked him not to drive over her yard when he parks it and he had some "choice words" for her. It's upsetting to me - she lives on her own in the same house in which my mother was raised.

Barry

Barry said:
My 89 year old grandmother has a next door neighbor who drives a truck. He parks it on his front lawn (or back yard) sometimes. She asked him not to drive over her yard when he parks it and he had some "choice words" for her. It's upsetting to me - she lives on her own in the same house in which my mother was raised.

Barry

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: Now that makes me mad. Gee, what a big brave trucker to tell off a poor grandmother. :rage: :rage:
Its clobbering time for this jerk. Call the local government and get the local ordinances. He surely is breaking a few.

Barry

Practically Family
James,

It's really a pick-up - sort of one of those "jacked up" trucks that people go 4-wheeling in mud with. It's pretty big though - giant tires, etc. You can imagine what the tires do to a lawn.

I forget what my grandmother said to him - she isn't one for messing around though. When she owned her menswear store a guy came into the store and attempted to "strong arm" rob her. She wound up chasing the guy out with a broom.

Barry said:
James,

It's really a pick-up - sort of one of those "jacked up" trucks that people go 4-wheeling in mud with. It's pretty big though - giant tires, etc. You can imagine what the tires do to a lawn.

I forget what my grandmother said to him - she isn't one for messing around though. When she owned her menswear store a guy came into the store and attempted to "strong arm" rob her. She wound up chasing the guy out with a broom.

Sometimes it ain't worth whacking the guy with a broom though. It might be more fun to whack him with a fine, ticket or fix it notice. ;)
That and its safer for an older person to just not get into such a confrontation that could get physical---depending on how crazy your neighbor is---and you never know how crazy they could be. :eek: :eusa_doh:

Regards,

J

Daisy Buchanan

jamespowers said:
lol lol lol You know what they say, an expert is someone who just knows a few more things than you. :p Its not all that hard really. The darned growing things is in my blood. Too many farmers and ranchers in my background. :p
Kind of like my family and dentist's or dental hygienists. The majority of the women on my mom's side were hygienists, except for my Mom. The men, including my Dad were/are dentists. The other men are all lawyers, I think that's why my Mom became a paralegal. But, whatever it may be, I do think that some things are in the blood, or in my case your just forced into it in fear of disappointing the rest of the family!:eek: Sorry, going through a bit of a career change, again! I think that everybody should find a knew profession every five years or so. You see, I get to go to school for 4 years, spend one year finding a job, but by the time I've found it I believe I want a new career, so back to school I go! Dentistry may be in my blood, but I just don't think I have the mindset to do it:( Wish I could have figured that out before I spent 4 years in school studying hygiene!!
OOps, sorry to publicly announce my 1/3rd life crisis!! Something about this thread makes me a bit nutty:D

carebear

Barry said:
James,

giant, vulnerable, expensive tires...

Dr Doran

Feraud said:

A disgusting fellow. I cannot abide the hitting of any women at all. (Did anyone else cheer when Janice Soprano shot Richie Aprile after he slugged her?) Hitting old women is particularly sickening. The current New Yorker has, in its Annals of Medicine section, a long article on the effects of aging ... it makes physical injuries on the elderly seem even more awful. The only problem is, I doubt he'll get better in prison. But what else can we do with someone like that?

Roger

A-List Customer
Well, I was talking to one of the neighbors this weekend and he told me that Al has been a real pain in the rear. Apparently this pig says that none of the fences around his house are his nor are they "community fences" so he won't pay for half to fix them so the other two neighbors let the fences wither on the vine because why should they give this jerk a free ride. They all wish the bum would move, but it doesn't seem likely. Note to potential buyers; talk to the neighbors before moving into an established neighborhood, you may end up buying next to a real jerk.:rage:

Pink Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Oh I'm so glad this thread is here!

I live in an apartment. It's been fine until my recent neighbors (I've lived here a couple years plenty of time to watch people come and go).

My neighbors on the right side are a family of four (in a two bedroom apartment). Not only do the children slam the doors constantly but so do the parents. Every time they come home it's like a parade goes by. My dogs (who are both mild mannered) go nuts.

To the left is the night owl. Often times she is on the landing on the phone at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. This wakes up my puppy who barks at the noise. She is also a door slammer and has this bird that squaks all day. But the worst is her parking. Many times she parks on the line and from time to time she parks over the line in my spot!

Also, my apartment is close to the leasing office. Sometimes when I come home some idiot is parked in my spot. Never mind the fact that there are rows of spaces just a few feet away.

I really would like to live in a nice house someday.

Dr Doran

Pink Dahlia said:

I live in an apartment. It's been fine until my recent neighbors (I've lived here a couple years plenty of time to watch people come and go).

My neighbors on the right side are a family of four (in a two bedroom apartment). Not only do the children slam the doors constantly but so do the parents. Every time they come home it's like a parade goes by. My dogs (who are both mild mannered) go nuts.

To the left is the night owl. Often times she is on the landing on the phone at 2, 3, 4 in the morning. This wakes up my puppy who barks at the noise. She is also a door slammer and has this bird that squaks all day. But the worst is her parking. Many times she parks on the line and from time to time she parks over the line in my spot!

Also, my apartment is close to the leasing office. Sometimes when I come home some idiot is parked in my spot. Never mind the fact that there are rows of spaces just a few feet away.

Love your tag line. Loved "To Kill a Mockingbird." Hey, can you ask the neighbors to stop slamming the doors? Sometimes that works. Sometimes not, but it might be worth it to ask, especially if you have good relations with them. Unfortunately thumpy is back upstairs right now. She was good for a while though.

Pink Dahlia said:

Geez, I am so glad I don't have to live in apartment. :eusa_doh: Its bad enough living next to the jungle yard whose owners play classical music at ten at night some times. I could just imagine how it would be to share a common wall. :eek:
You probably have to put up with the noisy neighbors and hope they move soon. I think contacting them about slamming doors or any other thing would likely make them do it more or stop for a few days and then start again later. Once inconsiderate, always inconsiderate. :eusa_doh: :rage:

Regards,

J

Dr Doran

jamespowers said:
You probably have to put up with the noisy neighbors and hope they move soon. I think contacting them about slamming doors or any other thing would likely make them do it more or stop for a few days and then start again later. Once inconsiderate, always inconsiderate. :eusa_doh: :rage:

Regards,

J

But, my good James, this is a dark philosophy you espouse ... that persons are never capable of improving and that communication is worthless ... coupled with fatalism ... it's hard to try to communicate but it works 40% of the time.

Doran said:
But, my good James, this is a dark philosophy you espouse ... that persons are never capable of improving and that communication is worthless ... coupled with fatalism ... it's hard to try to communicate but it works 40% of the time.

Well, when someone has gotten beyond a certain age---the parents----it is likely ingrained in them to slam the doors and they will revert back to it eventually.
Communication works very seldomly in my experience. They just either say or think: "who do they think they are telling me what to do in my house?" After that they could become worse, resort to physical violence or actually listen. I don't like two of the three options so it might be better just to live with it and hope they leave or hasten their departure in some way. ;)
There are ways to communicate with words and there are ways to communicate that get the point across much more poignantly. ;)

Regards,

J

Twitch

I have good neighbors with no problems! What is a growing hassle is city ordnances and home owners associations and their pickyass rules. Thankfully I have no HOA in my area.

I communicate with folks around the country in all size towns and find a growing safety nazi set of mandates from town permits to install sprinklers to not leaving your garage door open unless you're ingressing/egressing.:mad:

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
You got that right, Twitch. I can't stand these stinkin' lazy government bums who put up all kind of requirements if someone wants to do something to their house; notify all the neighbors, put sticks up so the semi-literates around you can envision how the family room addition will look. Get a permit to cut the tree in the backyard. :rage:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe