Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Now Forming! the Campaign Hat Corps

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
a4f7_3-1.jpg

The uniform of the guy behind the bass drum would make the typical modern re-enactor very happy. ;)

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
More! More! More! How do you like it? How do you like it?

Helping Corps members get the "look" right! Sorry about the lack of "montana peak" I just see so many of those I've focused on the "fore and aft" crown crease. This by no means indicates a bias against the M1911 hat.

port048.jpg

rroffice.jpg

DSC_7631_edited-2.jpg

port080.jpg
[/IMG]

aae5_3.jpg

post-85-1167886761.jpg

TINSAW.jpg

8646b-1.jpg

DSC_7630_edited-2.jpg

dean

Rooster

Practically Family
Why did the military go with the goofy beret anyway? talk about an impractical head cover. Give me the broad brimmed campaign anyday. I mean isn't a hat supposed to keep the sun out of your eyes and the rain off of your head?[huh]

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
Rooster said:
Why did the military go with the goofy beret anyway? talk about an impractical head cover. Give me the broad brimmed campaign anyday. I mean isn't a hat supposed to keep the sun out of your eyes and the rain off of your head?[huh]

Well, the beret has been associated with elite troops for quite some time - think SAS and the rangers. They probably wanted to spread some of that esprit to all the troops. This isn't illogical, since by historical standards, the entire US Army is 'elite' now - ie. highly motivated, trained, and educated.

duggap

Banned
Dean, I thought of you yesterday. The history channel had a presentation about the Spanish/American war. There were some wonderful original shot and the re-enactors looked to have done a good job on their uniforms. The bashes were abundant. :)

Speedster

Practically Family
Others wore Campaign Hats inspired by Roosevelt:

ridersbig.jpg

"Milwaukee bowling had its famous Rough Riders back in the days when Teddy Roosevelt was president of the United States. Shown are the Rough Riders of 1904. They are (left to right, back row) Charley Henkell, Frank Fuchs, George Fronhaefer and George W. Perrigo; and (seated, same order) Tad Koerner, Fred Everts, John Koerner and Bill Andrews. John Koerner was an alderman in 1936".

From the JS Online: Historic Milwaukee http://www2.jsonline.com/desk/histwis/archive.asp

deanglen

duggap said:
Dean, I thought of you yesterday. The history channel had a presentation about the Spanish/American war. There were some wonderful original shot and the re-enactors looked to have done a good job on their uniforms. The bashes were abundant. :)

Thank you, duggap. I always appreciate the affirmation of fellow Loungers.:)

dean

deanglen

Speedster said:
Others wore Campaign Hats inspired by Roosevelt:

ridersbig.jpg

"Milwaukee bowling had its famous Rough Riders back in the days when Teddy Roosevelt was president of the United States. Shown are the Rough Riders of 1904. They are (left to right, back row) Charley Henkell, Frank Fuchs, George Fronhaefer and George W. Perrigo; and (seated, same order) Tad Koerner, Fred Everts, John Koerner and Bill Andrews. John Koerner was an alderman in 1936".

From the JS Online: Historic Milwaukee http://www2.jsonline.com/desk/histwis/archive.asp

Nice Shot! I am beginning to "like" a "montana" peak. That is an acquired taste, I think.

dean

deanglen

Nick Charles said:
Arizona Volunteers reporting for duty.

excuse the white under pinning
hat019zg6.jpg

Nick, pleased to have you in the Corps, 1st United Sates Volunteer Cavalry, a.k.a. "The Rough Riders", raised from the Southwest, primarily, and plenty of Arizona men were there. You are part of my growing appreciation of the "montana" peak. Loos very good from here.

dean

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
We May Single Handed return REAL American Headwear to the Army

I really dont think the Army is Elite right now, only tired. I do think it would be a "symbol of a Soldier" to return the Campaign Hat to the army. I'm not alone since I believe I quoted James Jones on the above. How do you contact the DOA? Get rid of the Beret, give us something unique and American.

deanglen

Prairie Shade said:
I really dont think the Army is Elite right now, only tired. I do think it would be a "symbol of a Soldier" to return the Campaign Hat to the army. I'm not alone since I believe I quoted James Jones on the above. How do you contact the DOA? Get rid of the Beret, give us something unique and American.

I'm with ya, 1000%, and I seriously want to know how to initiate such a venture. No joke. How would we do it?

dean

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
To Approach the Unapproachable???

Contact the Secretary of the Army? Of course they will have to think that the idea was one of theirs. The soft Campaign hat was always one of the soldiers favorites according to history. A by-gone era returns, American as Apple pie!!! Maybe some others will have a better idea.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe