Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nothing like the smell of new leather....

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I just got my first custom made jacket in black HH. I won't give details or pics till I get some adjustments made... The lining's not a color or material I'd prefer and the cinch straps need to be shortened about a foot. I just wanted to comment while the thought's still fresh in my mind. Is there ANYTHING quite like the smell of freshly minted HH leather? Wow, even the ole lady (who doesn't know the jacket's new, shhh be wewy qwiet) says she loves the smell. Man oh man talk about one simple pleasure... It ain't better than sex but as I git's older... who knows?

Worf

Last edited:

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
I know what you mean, when I unboxed my HH A2- I first put my face in it and took a big whiff. I think leather scent should be classed as a controlled substance. Maybe someone should make it into an aftershave.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Alas, not everybody digs it. Most members of my family actively hate it... I recently had my new, not-yet-worn Good Wear hanging in my (inside-type, air-conditioned) storage unit for seven weeks to let the scent dissipate somewhat. (Now that the brutal heat and humidity of recent months is finally nearly over, I'm really looking forward to breaking it in!)

Personally, I have a very weak sense of smell - it was probably destroyed by spending thousands of hours amidst toxic photo-chemical fumes in my youth! - and I have no opinion one way or the other. But after many years here and at VLJ, I know that it's a VERY significant aspect of jacket-love to many enthusiasts. Unfortunately, I'm just too smell-blind to feel it myself...

I grew up with it. I love it. Oddly, at times during the summer months, I pull out the HH wallet and give it a little once over with the nostrils...I do love it.

trapp

Practically Family
+ 1 for leather smell.

I don't understand it, but it makes a man smell more like a man and a woman smell more like a woman. I can't think of too many people that wouldn't smell better with a little fragrant leather on them.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Was at Aero Leather factory today, and the smell of leather was just overwhelming. The whole place just reeked of that warm, mahogany scent. Was tempted to crawl under one of their many shearling hides and fall asleep... :D

Gentlemen, you CAN have that scent all day long! lol

nd.5401.jpg

frussell

One Too Many
I would agree there's few things that smell better, other than maybe a new handmade stringed instrument, with that woody smell. I've also grown up with the many smells associated with leather, and have grown very attached to the smell of saddle soap, RM Williams Saddle Dressing, rawhide, undyed freshly-tanned cowhide for tooling, and well-oiled tack. Nothing I like better than the smell of a fine leather jacket, new saddle, or some moccasin-cowhide chinks. Nice to find some other folks who have such good associations with the smell of leather, outside the BDSM community. I love it. Smells like victory. Frank

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I would agree there's few things that smell better, other than maybe a new handmade stringed instrument, with that woody smell. I've also grown up with the many smells associated with leather, and have grown very attached to the smell of saddle soap, RM Williams Saddle Dressing, rawhide, undyed freshly-tanned cowhide for tooling, and well-oiled tack. Nothing I like better than the smell of a fine leather jacket, new saddle, or some moccasin-cowhide chinks. Nice to find some other folks who have such good associations with the smell of leather, outside the BDSM community. I love it. Smells like victory. Frank
Just in from a gig... THAT woke me up. LOL... you guys!

Worf

Asienizen

One of the Regulars
Aw man, all this talk about the fragrance of leather, I think I'm gonna have to go take a drag off my jacket in a minute here. ;)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If I confessed that I had a swatch of brown FQHH sitting next to me at this very moment, just because I like the smell of it, would that make me a terrible person? I'm not sure.

wild_balls

Practically Family
It might not smell as good as horsehide, but fresh hot tarmac smells awesome! Maybe I'm in the wrong thread here!!!
I am still waiting for my brown AERO FQHH LHB! Can't wait to take a drag!

Cheers Joakim

alex1976

New in Town
the smell is not particular the smell of the horshide....is the smell of the tannery process of he horween tannery.
boots from viberg smells like the horshides from aero...but the boots where made of cowhide...i see and smelling the boots in berlin @ burgundschild.com and ask the seller about this leather;-)

It might not smell as good as horsehide, but fresh hot tarmac smells awesome! Maybe I'm in the wrong thread here!!!I am still waiting for my brown AERO FQHH LHB! Can't wait to take a drag!Cheers Joakim
Joakim,Vindaloo. You're not crazy. They just did our street in Friday. Love that smell too. As well as going to an airport and sniffing jet fumes. And kerosene lamps. Well, you get the picture. I pulled put my HH wallet last night while watching "Lawless" and I felt like,I was on set lol

wild_balls

Practically Family
Kerosene, now your talkin'!
Joakim,Vindaloo. You're not crazy. They just did our street in Friday. Love that smell too. As well as going to an airport and sniffing jet fumes. And kerosene lamps. Well, you get the picture. I pulled put my HH wallet last night while watching "Lawless" and I felt like,I was on set lol

Worf

I'll Lock Up
It might not smell as good as horsehide, but fresh hot tarmac smells awesome! Maybe I'm in the wrong thread here!!!
I am still waiting for my brown AERO FQHH LHB! Can't wait to take a drag!

Cheers Joakim
Yes, I like the smell of fresh tarmac as well. There are certain scents.. that speak to men, since we are hunters by nature. It's not universal but there are some common threads. Well put.

Worf

Last edited:

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
As a designschool student I once mad a packaging project with a fragrance all thought up by me: Leather, horsesweat and a little wet wool. Called it Hussar.
Wonder if it would have had a future?

wild_balls

Practically Family
I would have ordered one for sure!

Cheers JoakimQUOTE=Spitfire;1504816]As a designschool student I once mad a packaging project with a fragrance all thought up by me: Leather, horsesweat and a little wet wool. Called it Hussar.
Wonder if it would have had a future?[/QUOTE]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82