Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not So Happy Christmas...

B. F. Socaspi

One of the Regulars
Caity Lynn said:
lol, I only have one hat ;) neither do I...I'm lucky If I get to a clothing store more than 5 times a year...nearest one is 50 miles.
Ah, the beauty of living only a few an hour from the beach, couple from DC or NYC, and right next to the second biggest mall in our country.

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
What about the customer who calls every couple of days when a commissioned hat takes months?

What about the customers who call the hat blocker every few days when you report the hat has been sent to him?

What about the customers who call the hat blocker every few days even when you tell him that the hat has not arrived yet?

What about the guy who sends his hat back 5-6 times and you see nothing wrong with it?

What about the guy who sends his hat back because it has the natural Montecristi smell?

What about the guy who sends his hat back because he gets exactly as ordered, but not as fine as Baron Hats tells him it should be, and issues a chargeback?

What about all of the guys who check yes on your website that all sales are final and that these hats take time and that you get what you pay for and that commissioned hats are not returnable and they still call their Visa, Mastercard, or American Express and charge back?

What about the customer who asks for a 3 1/8 inch brim to be woven out and then one month later puts a chargeback on his credit card because the hat hasn't been sent yet?

What about the customer who orders a $400 hat and expects it in 3 weeks so he can resell it for $1800?

What about the customer who orders a fino fino and then Brent Black's guys buy the hat right out from under you? I've paid for many hats and then have had other hatters buy the hats out from under me.

What about the time your brother in law is kidnapped from the bank and his account is drained by thugs a couple hundred at a time with his ATM card? Oh, yeah, he was beat up, left naked, and the police (who claimed they were the most humanitarian police in the world) didn't even want to help him.

What about the time your brother in law steals nearly $4000.00 in money and hats and 3 years later you are still paying off weavers?

When I was talking to Mr. Black on a weekly basis way back when, he suggested I make a Wall of Shame for Montecristi hats. Since I'm no kind of businessman, I think I will. I'll include customers and brother's in law, too!

I could go on and on!

It goes both ways, different ways, and other ways! And I have several unhappy days a week!:rolleyes: and I feel like I'm trying to help people save some money on these hats.

And, no, I don't think I owe this guy a hat, just venting a bit.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Panama Bob

Carlisle Blues said:
Sorry to hear about your situation.

I had a similar experience several years ago. My hat cost well over $1,200 I was happy to pay. A slight adjustment had to be made. Sent the hat back never heard from the hatter again.

Until...I threatened legal action. I got my money back would rather have had the hat.

Had the hatter communicated with me I would been more amenable to a more long term relationship. I enjoy my hats.

Instead what occurred was a stressful experience that has left me quite cautious.

Currently, I am considering another expensive work of art I am however awaiting to hear recommendations from those who post on this forum.

Hi Bob

My situation had nothing at all to do with you, whatsoever. Hope no one gets that idea.

rrog

A-List Customer
Panamabob said:
What about the customer...

What about the customers...

What about the customers...

What about the guy...

What about the guy...

I feel your pain PB. I sell knives on the side (not real active at the moment) and have experienced my fair share of this type of customer. One customer, who paid for regular shipping, called the day after his order was placed. I sent his knife the day I received the order and informed him of that. He called two days later and chewed me out and called me a liar. About 30 minutes later, he emails me a wonderful little apology because the mail had just delivered his knife. He said he was just stressed out a little and took it out on me. The tone of his "chewing out" and his email was totally differrent. I'm talking bipolar different! And then there was the charge back when a guy didn't receive his order overseas. The knife was tracked to his country's customs department and was signed for by somebody in that department. But since he was claiming he didn't receive it, he was awarded the charge back. Guess who eats that loss?

I used to think that a good product with great customer service was bound to be successful. But I've found there are some people that no matter how good the customer service is, they will still complain about something. And as PB said, it doesn't really matter if someone checks "all sales final" or "dealer not responsible for..." Those types of disclaimers rarely help with a charge back.

I'm not talking about the OP. He sounds like he does have a real problem on his hands! And I'm not so sure I would have been this patient for so long. I wish him luck with his order. (And yes, it might be helpful for other potential customers to know who the offending vendor is so they won't make the mistake of ordering from him.)

rrog

deanglen

Glancing furtively around the Lounge, stepping gingerly into the welcome back line, I extend my hand in renewed fellowship, the strains of Vera Lynn plaintively asserting that "...we'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when..." in the background as I stammer out something about how long has it been, you're looking chipper, and sorry to hear about the hat issue. Here's hoping you're inclined to accept the attempt at reconnecting and must say it was great to see you post in the Lounge again, RM. I'm still no good at Instant Messaging, since I haven't been doing any for about a year.:eek: If the hatter in question is the one I'm thinking of, I agree with your tactful handling of it. Your patience is astounding, but knowing you as I do, you are truly a gentleman at heart. Merry Christmas, anyway. PM your shipping address to me, I have an item from Santa that you could have some fun with. One clue: Dobbs.

dean

Panamabob

Call Me a Cab
Oh, yeah, the photog above reminded me of another type:

The ebay bidder who just doesn't believe that the hat really comes from Ecuador and that your sister-in-law was in a horrific accident, your other sister in law can't be adopted by you unless you spend a minimum of 2 years in Ecuador, the school forgot to mention that you have to pay a tax of 25% from your check, the landlord won't return your deposit (Ecuadorian) when you find that your house isn't what you were promised and you move out anyhow, your renter in your own house in USA hasn't paid since July, the friend buying your car has lost his job and can't pay, and your wife's whole family, 7 extra people, have conveniently moved into your house in Ecuador, and you've blown your savings on flying the 5 in your family down! Each email is answered and the person still threatens, all legal mind you, that they are going to tell ebay and paypal on you for not getting them their hat.

It gets better, because there are wonderful, wonderful patient people out there. We've had a tremendously supportive amount of donations for Juliana and the hat drawing was such a success that we're going to drum up another one later this week. Still trying to work out the details.

Won't hijack no mo'!

AlanC

I'm offering no defense or condemnation of hatter or customer in this situation, but I'm not sure this thread is serving much of a useful purpose. Fatwoul, I wish you steady resolution in what I know is a frustrating situation.

Let the sentiments of the season prevail, and may you all find a hat under your tree!

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Hi Fats...Glad to see you back! Hope you stick around a while...Dean...good to see you sneak in for a few...and Alan...I'm a 7 5/8...Can't wait to see what you're sending for under my tree....:eek: :D

Neil

A-List Customer
Pain in the butt

Sounds like ordering a custom hat can get bogged down.
I have a couple of orders, worth several hundred dollars, out there. Just keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes okay.
I suppose there's always the alternative of paying a hell of a lot more to get the hat immediately.
But I tend to give people the benefit of the doubt until there is reason not to.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
AlanC said:
I'm offering no defense or condemnation of hatter or customer in this situation, but I'm not sure this thread is serving much of a useful purpose. Fatwoul, I wish you steady resolution in what I know is a frustrating situation.

Let the sentiments of the season prevail, and may you all find a hat under your tree!
:eusa_clap

tortswon

Practically Family
Welcome back!

fatwoul said:
Of course, MH, I agree that, should this situation turn worse, I will be happy to make sure that my feelings are known. However, right now my dealings with this hatter are still in progress, so it seems a little premature for me to rant publicly about a transaction that is yet to end.

At that point, Fatwoul, would you be issuing a fatwah? (The punster in me couldn't resist).

I'm kind of new here so I did not see your previous posts but welcome back! Best, Sam