Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

No-Iron Shirts

Briscoeteque

One of the Regulars
I hate wrinkled shirts more than anything else, but Ironing is pretty torturous, especially in college, as the ironing board is in the same room as the garbage, in a room with no windows. But I also hate polyester like the plauge. Where is the best place to get a No-Iron shirt that's not too expensive, but is all natural and looks good with vintage?

And unrelated question, but what collar style looks best with a double breasted suit?

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
Find a Brooks Bros. Outlet Store somewhere near you. Brooks Bros. makes pretty decent shirts, and the prices are marked down alot at outlet stores. I got a cummerbund that is normally $75 for $25.

Johnnysan

One Too Many
Check out Paul Fredrick...here's a link to their website! Although I have had some bad experiences with some of their products, their no-iron shirts are outstanding. Be sure to check out their clearance section!

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I'm with Ghos7 on the Brooks Brothers shirts. Their non-iron shirts are the staple of my wardrobe. They never wrinkle, yet they are soft and fit well.

Personally, I don't like button-down collars with Double-breasted; they seem too casual for the peaked lapels. I think spread collars clash a bit with them as well. I like the forward points; professional and bold enough for a double-breasted.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
my experience with the brooks brothers shirts is that they fit like a garbage bag. you really have to get them altered because they are so blousy. this is true even with their slimfit.

Well I finally broke down and spent $260.00 on a Steamfast Presser. I hate ironing, and the drycleaners were ruining all my shirts by not placing a cloth on top of the cotton when pressing, so when I got them back there was a sheen on all my shirts. I've had it for three weeks and I wish I had gotten it six ruined shirts ago.

So of the past few weeks I've been washing by shirts in the gentle cycle in the laundry, drying them on low heat, and then taking them home to press. Takes some getting use to, as there seems to be a method for pressing shirts - yoke first, then back, then sleeves, etc... - but at least I can take care that my collars don't get frayed. Then of course, if I have wrinkled trousers, I just take them to the press and their done in two minutes. A recommended purchase for any wrinkle hating vintage nut like I am.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Ironing, who irons shirts today???

Ironing makes me feel like I'm back in a college dorm circa 1969!

BEWARE of Brook's Brothers outlet store shirts they are NOT :eek: even
the same quality as their normal retail stores!

SC [huh]

PS Button down shirts have always been considered a fashion
NO-NO :eusa_doh: with double breasted suits/jackets!

It's actually smaller than I had thought it was going to be. I recall my mother having a steampress when I was a kid and it was the industrial sort, about the size of an ironing board. This one is only 26 x 23 x 24. I use it on the kitchen table, but you can buy a stand for another $70. They also have smaller ones, but I wanted to get the largest surface area they had.

Regards,

Senator Jack

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Solid Citizen said:
BEWARE of Brook's Brothers outlet store shirts they are NOT :eek: even the same quality as their normal retail stores!

Good to know. How does this show?

And what are your obvious reserves concerning Brooks Bros. shirts in general? (I have no experience with them, outlet or retail.)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Best no-iron shirts, hands down...

... are the Smart-Care shirts from Nordstrom. 100% cotton that has been BIONENGINEERED (I kid you not) to be wrinkle free. Amazing shirts that come in a gazillion colors, collar styles, etc. AND, the prices range from $55 to $65. Nothing less than amazing.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Brooks Brothers Quality Store vs. Outlet

Shaul-Ike Cohen,

1. In past bought several shirts @ Brooks Brothers Outlet Store
notice the wore out faster than ones I purchased at retail
Brooks store.

2. Read several business articles stating that the fiber count
much less at Brooks outlets. Articles bottom line most if not
all their outlet inventory manufactured strictly for outlet :)eek: )

3. They hook you into Brooks outlet lower price + store fixture
image etc.

SC ;)

PS Lower fiber content + repeated starchings = shorter hanger life :eusa_doh:

I have no problem with any type of shirt being worn with any type of jacket. I wonder who makes up these "rules". Seem pretty silly to me. If it looks alright, wear it!

Just iron your shirts, my man. Don't take more than 5 minutes per shirt, eh?

And if you're laundering your shirts and they're delicate types of cotton (sea island springs to mind) use a delicates bag in the washer. That damn agitator will do more damage to the collar/cuffs than anything else. The bag will protect them from it. Ah to be back home with no agitators. One of the many banes of my life.

bk

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Zemke Fan said:
... are the Smart-Care shirts from Nordstrom. 100% cotton that has been BIONENGINEERED (I kid you not) to be wrinkle free. Amazing shirts that come in a gazillion colors, collar styles, etc. AND, the prices range from $55 to $65. Nothing less than amazing.

I have to agree. I didn't believe the claims when they first came out. I'd bought too many "no-wrinkle" shirts & pants before. My partner bought one in black for a show he was music director on. He'd come home after each show, throw it in the washer on HOT (I know, I know...) with other laundry and then toss everything in the dryer before hitting the sack. The next afternoon or evening, he'd pull it out of the dryer, give it a shake and it looked brand new & wrinkle-free. I was amazed it didn't fade or shrink.

And...I think the half-yearly men's sale is coming up pretty soon, too. Right after Father's day if I recall.

Feraud

Bartender
Solid Citizen said:
Shaul-Ike Cohen,

1. In past bought several shirts @ Brooks Brothers Outlet Store
notice the wore out faster than ones I purchased at retail
Brooks store.

2. Read several business articles stating that the fiber count
much less at Brooks outlets. Articles bottom line most if not
all their outlet inventory manufactured strictly for outlet :)eek: )

3. They hook you into Brooks outlet lower price + store fixture
image etc.

SC ;)

PS Lower fiber content + repeated starchings = shorter hanger life :eusa_doh:
Clothing made for sale at the outlet stores are not the same as made for general retail!
My wife recently pointed my attention to a magazine article that talked about the quality of outlet vs. retail clothing. The article highlighted the differences based on manufacture through country of origin and differences in material. I remember reading about shirts and belts that would technically be the same product being made with different material! The outlet stuff was of decidedly inferior quality. I resolved myself to always be aware of a "bargain".
That Brooks Brothers belt you buy at an outlet can be made in China whereas their retail store belt be made in Italy. Believe it or not...

p.s. I think the magazine article came from Consumer Reports.

Mr. Jason

Familiar Face
I'll second Paul Fredrick. I have a bunch of their "Easy Care."

I would like to include a quote from Esquire's Laws of Style:
Easy Care is for those who don't.​

Take that with as much salt as you like.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Brooks Bros shirts

Somebody at work turned me on to the new Brooks Bros no iron shirt, and I love them. They're made with a new material, Lastol, that is apparently a typre, or rather class, of polypropylene. They're 96% cotton, 4% Lastol. I got them at the Wall St Brooks Bros, so it wasn't no outlet. They breath like real cotton, tho they have a certain stretchiness. Just take them out of the dryer and hang them up right away. Amazing!

in/y

One of the Regulars
When I wear a dress shirt, which I do a few times each week, it almost always white with French cuffs.

I’ve been getting my shirts from Brooks Brothers for 20+ years. When they came out with a no iron version of a white French cuff shirt I jumped at the opportunity.

Recently, I ordered a few new shirts. I was a bit delinquent in ordering some new shirts so most of my current shirts were a bit ratty (at best for a few).

The day after receiving my order, I put on one of the new shirts as I dressed for work (I’m a librarian). When I went to put my mechanical pencil & small notebook (a necessity in my profession) into the shirt pocket, I was surprised to find that there was no pocket on the shirt.

Convinced that this was a mistake, I checked the other shirts I received and found none of them had a pocket. I called Brooks Brothers and was told that their French cuff dress shirts no longer come with a pocket! I returned the shirts.:mad:

I wrote a less than pleasant letter to Brooks Brothers which netted me a fairly generic response; sorry that you were disappointed, we will keep your comments in mind for the future, blah, blah blah…

A friend suggested I check Paul Fredrick for a shirt. They do indeed have a no iron French cuff shirt but I had to call them up to confirm that the shirt had a pocket. I’m now waiting for my order.
Click here to see the Paul Fredrick shirt.

Was wondering if anyone else has any other (non-Brooks Brothers) suggestions for no iron dress shirts as well as any experiences with the Paul Fredrick shirts. I'll post my impressions of the shirts once I've worn them (and washed them) should anyone be interested.

BillyCigars

New in Town
I'll toss in my vote for the Brooks Brothers non-irons, too as I've always had great luck with them.

But I'll also mention Jos. A. Banks non-iron shirts, too. I've been buying both Brooks Bros. and Jos A Banks non-irons for years and believe it or not, the Jos A Banks shirts (with only 1 exception) have all lasted longer than the Brooks Bros.! :eek: They are reasonably priced as well but they don't have the same breadth of selection as BB does. But you may want to give them a shot FWIW.;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sneaky777