Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nick & Nora; a style compendium of the 30s and 40s (Thin Man on DVD)

Viola

Call Me a Cab
No Clooney! [bad]

Nah, I love Clooney (what lady doesn't?) but Nick Charles is not perpetually rumpled, IMO. I might be thinking more of the books but I though Nick was a more polished sort of drunk. lol

He's a super-annuated Archie Goodwin of the Nero Wolfe mysteries, is what Clooney is.

Feraud

Bartender
Perpetually rumpled? Are we talking Clooney the man or the actor?

Most people know Nick and Nora from the films so my comments lean towards that medium. Powell wasn't all that smooth in the series. This is not a criticism but an obersvation of the film character.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
harttohart460.jpg

Was "Hart To Hart" in the late seventies based on "Nick & Nora"

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
thanks for this LINK...

I haven't been able to get through on Amazon.com for many weeks- it kept coming up with "Firefox has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

This link went through just fine and dandy. Have the TM box set already, so I ordered "Cover Girl", "You'll Never Get Rich" and a replacement of "You were Never Lovelier" (gave my copy as a gift to my deco hairdresser).

Dr. Shocker said:
Save yourself some dough

Thin Man

if the link doesn't work

From Amazon.com

We'll set one up for you.The Complete Thin Man Collection (The Thin Man / After the Thin Man / Another Thin Man / Shadow of the Thin Man / The Thin Man Goes Home / Song of the Thin Man)
List Price: * $59.92
Price: * $41.94 and this item ships for FREE
You Save: * $17.98 (30%)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Marc Chevalier said:
IMO Hanks can't act drunkenly suave.

I think that Nick and Nora Charles and of course William Powell and Myrna Loy who played them were really products of the tail end of the Edwardian era and Prohibition. They play upper-class, functional, and respectable drunks! No one today could pull that off, they just wouldn't understand the roles. Perhaps someone might be able to parrot Powell and Loy and the Nick and Nora Charles, but I doubt that they could breath new life into them; it would merely be rehashing that which has already been done perfectly, a xerox or genius and social climate. It might be interesting though. Sadly, I cannot think of any actor today who plays the type of roles that William Powell did or for that matter Myrna Loy. It's really a shame to think of it, how drab and dreary things have become socially! Too much political correctness, too much freedom in other social arenas! What has happened to our civilization?!

-Sincerely,

E. A. Everhart

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
I'm currently doing a backwards rundown of the entire Thin Man series. So far I've covered the sixth and fifth films. These are more for the seasoned Thin Man viewer who focuses on the little things, as I largely ignore the films' plots. Feel free to comment here or at the blog, I'd appreciate it.:)

Evan Everhart

A-List Customer
Nathan Dodge said:
Amazon (USA) is currently selling The Complete Thin Man Collection for $23.39!!!

BUGGER! I just wish that I had the spare green-backs to blow on such a wonderfully lovely little treat for myself! Unfortunately, it's that time again! CAR-TAG RENEWAL in California! (the most over-charged thing in history! - well, almost maybe, but perhaps that's over-stating it a bit much? Meh. It's still over-priced beyond SANITY!) Rant!

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
TCM is airing all the Thin Man movies New Year's Eve. How cool is that?

How many people remember the ABC TV Late Night "Thin Man" update movie with Craig "Peter Gunn" Stevens and Joanne Pflug? As I vaguely recall ( I was like 10), it was shot on video and looked cheap.

There was also a failed Broadway show of The Thin Man with Barry Bostwick and Joanna Gleason. It was a musical. I have the soundtrack and it is not awful, just not up to Powell/Loy standards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally