Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nick & Nora; a style compendium of the 30s and 40s (Thin Man on DVD)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
It's about time!

Warner Home Video is releasing a 7-disc set of all 6 "Thin Man" films on August 2, 2005. The seventh disc includes documentaries on Powell and Loy.

A round of drinks on me!

Brad

Wild Root

Gone Home
HEY YEAH!!!

It's about time! Oh man, I can't wait to get some of those!!!

Root.

loypowell4id.jpg

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Loy and Powell

I'm not nit-picking, Wild Root, but the picture you posted is from "I Love You Again" not the "Thin Man" series.
I hope all of the films Powell and Loy did together will be put on DVD. They've all been put on VHS and "Libeled Lady" was recently put on DVD.
Actually, two of my favorite Powell films ("Jewel Robbery" and "High Pressure") are hard to find and would be welcome on DVD.
Or his early Philo Vances. Any of silent films really.
O.K. I'm getting myself worked up. I'll stop.
In conclusion: I agree!

The Wolf

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
Hmm, let's see. They could put out a non-Thin Man Powell/Loy DVD set with Manhattan Melodrama, Evelyn Prentice, Double Wedding, I Love You, Again, and Love Crazy. The Great Ziegfeld is already on DVD, and The Senator Was Indiscreet probably doesn't count, since Loy only had a cameo.

Better yet, put Manhattan Melodrama out in a Gable/Loy set, and then we'd have two great collections to buy! Swell!

You're right, Wolf, there are many good Powell films we need on DVD. I always liked One Way Passage, too. I've heard the first three Philo Vance films are too far gone for restoration, but who knows? I'd love to see them. At least a restored version of The Kennel Murder Case.

Brad

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
Already preordered mine with Amazon! And the Fred and Ginger set on DVD. I'm being bad but how can I resist some of my favorites?

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
My Little Friend Tivo

Caught the Thin Man marathon on Turner Classic Movies last night. Recorded the lot of them - so I know what I'll be doing this weekend!

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
Caught the Thin Man marathon on Turner Classic Movies last night. Recorded the lot of them - so I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
I watched a few of them too. That is what I call family programming. :) I will get the box set on dvd.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
I'm excited about this too. So many great boxed sets and so little time. Coming up and over the last few years: The Thin Man Collection; Fred Astaire & Ginger Rogers; Warner Gangsters; Film Noir vol I & II; Controversial Classics; W.C. Fields; The Marx Brothers (their Paramount films); Charlie Chaplin vol I & II; The Art of Buster Keaton (11 discs!); The Val Lewton Horror Collection;the Bela Lugosi Collection; Garbo: The Signature Collection;The Gary Cooper Collection; The Tarzan Collection...

I know I've missed a few, and I'm not even mentioning all the great old films that have come out outside of any of these collections.

So many DVDs...
:)

Dr. Shocker

One of the Regulars
Check it Out

Save yourself some dough

Thin Man

if the link doesn't work

From Amazon.com

We'll set one up for you.The Complete Thin Man Collection (The Thin Man / After the Thin Man / Another Thin Man / Shadow of the Thin Man / The Thin Man Goes Home / Song of the Thin Man)
List Price: * $59.92
Price: * $41.94 and this item ships for FREE
You Save: * $17.98 (30%)

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
#1!!!

It's heartening to see that The Thin Man Collection is currently #1 in DVD sales at Amazon.com. Box office receipts are tanking, but 60 and 70 year-old films are selling well. Hmm, I wonder why?

Now I'll have nightmares about Hollywood remaking these films. Aaggh!

Interestingly, also in Amazon's Top 10 are John Wayne's Island intThe Sky and The High and the Mighty, as well as the new Fred Astaire/Ginger Rogers box set. People's buying habits speak volumes, don't they?

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I just made this last post, and the forum hiccupped on me as I posted it and didn't bump the post, so here's another to bump.

Brad

shamus

Suspended
keep in mind that people who actually read are they ones visiting Amazon. Not teens who actually make up the majority of film buying.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
shamus said:
keep in mind that people who actually read are they ones visiting Amazon. Not teens who actually make up the majority of film buying.

Aw, thanks a lot, shamus! There goes what little optimism and faith I had in the future of humanity! :)

Brad

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
shamus said:

Aw, thanks a lot, shamus! There goes what little optimism and faith I had in the future of humanity!

Brad

Edit: This is my second try at this post. Something wacky is going on, as my original post did not show up, yet it shows I made on on the thread list, and it shows up on the reply screen. What gives?

Now it shows up? Argh.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Not only that...

Brad Bowers said:
It's heartening to see that The Thin Man Collection is currently #1 in DVD sales at Amazon.com.
Brad

Apparently Amazon was surprised by the popularity of this set as well. I'm still waiting for shipment - "We're experiencing a delay in shipping your item."

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I received both the The Thin Man series and Fred/Ginger compilations as a gift from my husband recently.

I have to admit this was my first time to see The Thin Man and I loved it. Had to watch it twice immediately,because the first time I was so distracted by the fabulous drool worthy fashion and hairstyles I missed some of the wit.
I can't wait to watch the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
actimally