Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nice Tyrolian wanted (my first post)

ga3ry

New in Town
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get a good quality Tyrolian hat. I guess it would have to be from an online source, unless someone recommends a place I could order from over the phone.

Thanks,

gary

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I was hoping to find this hat defined in this thread. What is a Tyrolian? I know generally, but what makes a proper one?

One set of my grandparents were from the shifting Alps / Tyrol.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
scotrace said:
I was hoping to find this hat defined in this thread. What is a Tyrolian? I know generally, but what makes a proper one?

One set of my grandparents were from the shifting Alps / Tyrol.

Well- the "term" seems to have become somewhat generic...
...the whole German/Austrian/Tyrol hat thing has become a mush of Trachtenhut, Alpenhut, Jagdhut,... basically, a term for traditional Alpine styles.
But if you look at some old photos, you see a lot of the small brimmed(turned up sharply at the back), low crowned jobs, with some kind of feather, or Gamsbart arrangement.

But when you look, you see Loden, plain furfelt, velour, then there are the comical/conical ones and the plain hunting hats.

I will research a little.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Yes, it's one of the common styles of 'jagdhut' and has the cord and 'brush' that are often seen. The 'bash' is a bit undistinguished for my taste. The style I prefer has a 'boy scout' or campaign hat-styel three-way pinch. And I like the embroidered eidelweiss as an alternative to the brush.

How about this:

http://www.villagehatshop.com/tyrolean_felt_hat.html

Alan

BellyTank said:
I would say that's more true to the heritage of the term than some of the others.

B
T

ga3ry

New in Town
Thanks for all of the pointers. That Biltmore is a beauty - almost too nice! Guess I'll have to talk to Sanity Clause and see if one can fit down the chimley. The others look like nice-priced alternatives. I even found one on German ebay that looks interesting.

gary

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe