Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

newtojackets is no longer new to jackets: sharing my leather jacket collection

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
^^ How dare you politely disagree? Haha. I do see the neck lines when looking a bit closer, and I’ll agree it may not be as comfy, but I still think it looks good on!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Update from me. I took on board @TartuWolf suggestion, and collected a series of fit pics:

Black Jackets

1. The Flat Head single rider in Shinki horsehide

View attachment 623946

2. Rainbow Country Ponyboy in Shinki horsehide

View attachment 623947

3. Brooks Gold Label Cross Zip in what I assume is a cowhide
View attachment 623949
4. Schott x Rag n Bone cross zip in cowhide
View attachment 623950
5. Schott Cafecto in steerhide
View attachment 623951
6. Aero Cafe Racer in Chromexcel HH
View attachment 623952
7. Johnson Leathers Sportster in cowhide
View attachment 623953
8. Harley Davidson AMF racing shirt (assume it’s made by Brooks in cowhide)
View attachment 623954
So which three are your new top three now? It was the HD and the Brooks, has this changed?

newtojackets

Practically Family
I have to politely disagree. The Aero has the usual neck lines - I can’t imagine it sits comfortably on OP

View attachment 624576

Compare to the JL, which looks like a great fit

View attachment 624575
I think both of you are right. In my opinion the aero CR silhouette is more flattering on me (really hugs the waist, while building up the upper body). However, the Johnson is much much more comfortable (as the Aero does have the neck hand issue)

newtojackets

Practically Family
So which three are your new top three now? It was the HD and the Brooks, has this changed?
I initially said 1. HD 2. Schott D pocket 3. Golden Bear varsity. I think now I would say (not necessarily in order)

1. Burberry cross zip (bet nobody would have guessed that a fashion jacket could make my top 3)

2. The Flat Head Single Rider

3. RMC JH1

As a close fourt and fifth, I would keep the HD and the GB varsity

newtojackets

Practically Family
I initially said 1. HD 2. Schott D pocket 3. Golden Bear varsity. I think now I would say (not necessarily in order)

1. Burberry cross zip (bet nobody would have guessed that a fashion jacket could make my top 3)

3. RMC JH1

Also I do have a secret extra jacket coming, that I think may take the number 1 spot (if it fits), the measurements are on the small side...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up

3. RMC JH1

Well, Burberry has been around since the late 1800s they just evolved into a mainstream fashion brand to survive. That grainy thick Burberry is a very nice jacket. Congrats.

Observe

One Too Many
I have to politely disagree. The Aero has the usual neck lines - I can’t imagine it sits comfortably on OP

View attachment 624576

Compare to the JL, which looks like a great fit
I don't understand why they won't fix this problem. I can only assume Aero designs their patterns for people with horrendous posture. Not to drag us down that road again.

And I don't want to hear it's for the posture of the motorcycle rider leaning over the bike either. You think the JL is any less for riding than the Aero? I'd argue the opposite to be true.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
While I can certainly see how it would be a problem for some folks, I don’t mind the aforementioned neck lines aesthetically. I almost find it endearing with other creases developing with break in. All of the J100/cafe style jackets I’ve owned have shared this trait to some degree. Several previous and currently owned Aero BRs, the original Buco J100 once owned, an old heavy Brimaco CR, as well as a Himel Kensington I had(To be fair, that one was probably a size too small). I’ve seen it on a couple RMC J100s in fit pics also. I have found that the Aero’s shoulders up to the collar do have a “less steep” angle, which happens to work out best for my build. At least in my experience, it’s been more of a J100 type trait than strictly Aero, as I haven’t noticed it as much in my collared Aeros. I do realize many find it an issue in other Aeros, and I’m not trying to argue that point at all, especially with the veterans here who have plenty more experience than myself. Just my 2 cents on the many stand collar jackets I’ve been through. It’s possible that I’m an Aero fanboy, but I’ve never had a comfort issue with an Aero that fit correctly. If it’s a half size too small though, all bets are off there.

newtojackets

Practically Family
While I can certainly see how it would be a problem for some folks, I don’t mind the aforementioned neck lines aesthetically. I almost find it endearing with other creases developing with break in. All of the J100/cafe style jackets I’ve owned have shared this trait to some degree. Several previous and currently owned Aero BRs, the original Buco J100 once owned, an old heavy Brimaco CR, as well as a Himel Kensington I had(To be fair, that one was probably a size too small). I’ve seen it on a couple RMC J100s in fit pics also. I have found that the Aero’s shoulders up to the collar do have a “less steep” angle, which happens to work out best for my build. At least in my experience, it’s been more of a J100 type trait than strictly Aero, as I haven’t noticed it as much in my collared Aeros. I do realize many find it an issue in other Aeros, and I’m not trying to argue that point at all, especially with the veterans here who have plenty more experience than myself. Just my 2 cents on the many stand collar jackets I’ve been through. It’s possible that I’m an Aero fanboy, but I’ve never had a comfort issue with an Aero that fit correctly. If it’s a half size too small though, all bets are off there.
Will quickly give my 2c on the issue, though don’t want to open a whole discussion as this has been done many times on the forum.

I do not really care about the visual lines (though unlike your experience, this has been an exclusive aero issues and not in other cafe racers).

However, all my Aero have hung on my neck more so than other jackets. Once again it’s not a dealbreaker for me, but it does detract from the comfort.

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I don't understand why they won't fix this problem. I can only assume Aero designs their patterns for people with horrendous posture. Not to drag us down that road again.

And I don't want to hear it's for the posture of the motorcycle rider leaning over the bike either. You think the JL is any less for riding than the Aero? I'd argue the opposite to be true.

JL is great on or off the bike as you mentioned. They have an impressive pattern maker in house, and they have been supplying professionals for years. Same for Vanson and Langlitz.

I don’t think Aero has any of these credentials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Good Citizen Az