Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

newtojackets is no longer new to jackets: sharing my leather jacket collection

newtojackets

Practically Family
Great balance of some serious pieces and whimsical fun pieces. What will be interesting to see is how much your collection changes in 5…10…15 years. The journey is the destination!
Been collecting a few more colour full pieces that I’m starting to wear more often. Agreed, interesting to see where the road takes me, but if my collection were to not change at all from today I’d be more than content

red devil

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My favourites are unsurprisingly the colourful ones :D

Nice collection here, curious to see where this goes, newtojackets also means that you can keep the fresh perspective of someone exploring the hobby which seems exactly what you are doing.

newtojackets

Practically Family
My favourites are unsurprisingly the colourful ones :D

Nice collection here, curious to see where this goes, newtojackets also means that you can keep the fresh perspective of someone exploring the hobby which seems exactly what you are doing.
Do you have many colourful ones? I know you have the cherrry JL, any others?

red devil

I love colours

Here are a few

It is grey but...

PKlhAcT.jpg

It is black but...

U3PDu5F.jpg

E8niwBn.jpg

xKMZ2fr.jpg

newtojackets

Practically Family
Sheepskin is often thought of having the same pitfalls of lambskin while people keep forgetting the 80's, which is when sheep truly earned its place on the leather jacket market.

You can still find countless A-2's by Avirex, made in thick, massive sheep leather that are holding their own as good as any cowhide or horsehide.

It's a tough hide with an unparalleled softness. You only have to be a bit more careful as it does cut more easily but otherwise, it's tough as nails. Less prone to rotting & drying out, too. I too was gullible enough to dismiss it long enough, having been brainwashed by the gEnUiNe FrAwNt QuArTeR HaWrSeHyDe cult but now half of my jackets are sheepskin.
Sheepskin is often thought of having the same pitfalls of lambskin while people keep forgetting the 80's, which is when sheep truly earned its place on the leather jacket market.

You can still find countless A-2's by Avirex, made in thick, massive sheep leather that are holding their own as good as any cowhide or horsehide.

It's a tough hide with an unparalleled softness. You only have to be a bit more careful as it does cut more easily but otherwise, it's tough as nails. Less prone to rotting & drying out, too. I too was gullible enough to dismiss it long enough, having been brainwashed by the gEnUiNe FrAwNt QuArTeR HaWrSeHyDe cult but now half of my jackets are sheepskin.
do you know if any other makers use a similar sheep skin (mainly the thickness and the texture)? Even well regarded makers e.g. Lewis, who are known for their sheep and its thickness, don’t have the same texture.

Guessing they still skive it whereas this jacket does not. Are there other makers who do a similar leather?

do you know if any other makers use a similar sheep skin (mainly the thickness and the texture)? Even well regarded makers e.g. Lewis, who are known for their sheep and its thickness, don’t have the same texture.

Guessing they still skive it whereas this jacket does not. Are there other makers who do a similar leather?

No, I really don't know. I'm not sure anyone uses it anymore, other than a handful of small fashion designers.

red devil

Apologies to @newtojackets for an aside, but iirc you ride @red devil .

What do you wear for riding? Any of your esoteric jackets, or something more pragmatic?

Initially I was riding without armour, and any jacket would do. I rode for quite a while with the Suburban, then I used the tan buffalo Thedi, the one that darkened during the summer heatwaves a few years ago. I have tried most jackets on the bike, and I can say that:

- LW jackets being the most water resistant kit I ever had work well, the Leathertogs B giving the best comfort and range of motion.
- All the Thedi jackets work well on the bike, Theo is a rider after all and has worked in the industry for so long

- The only Langlitz I have, the one pictured above has amazing range of motion, just perfect

But then I was advised by my friend, much better rider than I am, to wear armour.

So I mainly use a JL m500 with armour for now.

MrProper

Lewis, who are known for their sheep and its thickness, don’t have the same texture.
The vegetable tanned sheep from lewis leathers is very nice, but not as thick. A little thicker on my green one, less so on the brown one. But still thicker than the fashion lambskin jackets.
I read somewhere that the leather comes from a French tannery.

Attachments

• IMG_1994.jpeg
    IMG_1994.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1996.jpeg
    IMG_1996.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 29
Initially I was riding without armour, and any jacket would do. I rode for quite a while with the Suburban, then I used the tan buffalo Thedi, the one that darkened during the summer heatwaves a few years ago. I have tried most jackets on the bike, and I can say that:

- LW jackets being the most water resistant kit I ever had work well, the Leathertogs B giving the best comfort and range of motion.
- All the Thedi jackets work well on the bike, Theo is a rider after all and has worked in the industry for so long

- The only Langlitz I have, the one pictured above has amazing range of motion, just perfect

But then I was advised by my friend, much better rider than I am, to wear armour.

So I mainly use a JL m500 with armour for now.

The LT B really is a great jacket for riding. Like a HH armored blankie— no spots where cold air can get in. Or rain. Or bugs.

red devil

The LT B really is a great jacket for riding. Like a HH armored blankie— no spots where cold air can get in. Or rain. Or bugs.

That last one especially, got a wasp enter though my collar while riding and sting me a bit too often lol

Lurker

New in Town
With summer coming around I found myself looking at the jackets that I currently have in my collection which unfortunately will not get too much wear. This made me realise- I have a lot of really cool jackets (making my name a bit obselete)

Thought you folks might appreciate some of these pieces, so without further ado, I present to you, my collection of leather jackets (note these are only jackets which I consider my own- I have a few other jackets for sale which I have not included here, because I don’t think of them as mine)

Black jackets:

1. The Flat Head single rider in Shinki horsehide

View attachment 619465

2. Rainbow Country Ponyboy in Shinki horsehide

View attachment 619466

3. Brooks Gold Label Cross Zip in what I assume is a cowhide

View attachment 619467

4. Schott x Rag n Bone cross zip in cowhide

View attachment 619468

5. Schott Cafecto in steerhide

View attachment 619469

6. Aero Cafe Racer in Chromexcel HH

View attachment 619470

7. Johnson Leathers Sportster in cowhide

View attachment 619471

8. Harley Davidson AMF racing shirt (assume it’s made by Brooks in cowhide)

View attachment 619472
Long time lurker on this site, this is probably my first comment ever made on this forum, but I just have to know.

Did you get the Johnson Leathers jacket off of me from Vinted about a year ago? because I seriously never thought I'd end up seeing it again, had to sell it because i was leaving the UK

If it is, I'm just really happy to see it's in the possession of someone who appreciates it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth