Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

newtojackets is no longer new to jackets: sharing my leather jacket collection

newtojackets

Practically Family
With summer coming around I found myself looking at the jackets that I currently have in my collection which unfortunately will not get too much wear. This made me realise- I have a lot of really cool jackets (making my name a bit obselete)

Thought you folks might appreciate some of these pieces, so without further ado, I present to you, my collection of leather jackets (note these are only jackets which I consider my own- I have a few other jackets for sale which I have not included here, because I don’t think of them as mine)

Black jackets:

1. The Flat Head single rider in Shinki horsehide

IMG_6820.jpeg

2. Rainbow Country Ponyboy in Shinki horsehide

IMG_6822.jpeg

3. Brooks Gold Label Cross Zip in what I assume is a cowhide

IMG_6823.jpeg

4. Schott x Rag n Bone cross zip in cowhide

IMG_6827.jpeg

5. Schott Cafecto in steerhide

IMG_6828.jpeg

6. Aero Cafe Racer in Chromexcel HH

IMG_6829.jpeg

7. Johnson Leathers Sportster in cowhide

IMG_6830.jpeg

8. Harley Davidson AMF racing shirt (assume it’s made by Brooks in cowhide)

IMG_6832.jpeg

newtojackets

Practically Family
Colourful jackets (the most fun ones):

1. Lost Worlds Trojan in horsehide
IMG_6819.jpeg

2. Vintage Crowtree leathers Cafecto
IMG_6824.jpeg

3. Wolf Leathers Cafecto

IMG_6825.jpeg

4. Burberry cross zip (not too sure what the leather is but it’s great)
IMG_6826.jpeg

5. Vintage custom Interstate jacket
IMG_6836.jpeg

Last edited:

TartuWolf

One Too Many
Very cool to see all of them in one thread.
Thank you for sharing!
Now I dare you to do consistent fit pics with all of them!

Also I joined around the same time as you. So we are a bit like classmates in the TFL academy.
I'd say around 8 jackets have gone through me since I joined. Out of which I've kept 3 and have 1 for sale.
Doing pretty good myself in terms of sticking to the minimalist / have less - wear more strategy.
Would not like to have more than 3-4 jackets.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Very cool to see all of them in one thread.
Thank you for sharing!
Now I dare you to do consistent fit pics with all of them!

Also I joined around the same time as you. So we are a bit like classmates in the TFL academy.
I'd say around 8 jackets have gone through me since I joined. Out of which I've kept 3 and have 1 for sale.
Doing pretty good myself in terms of sticking to the minimalist / have less - wear more strategy.
Would not like to have more than 3-4 jackets.
Thanks, if there is interest to see the fit pics can post something here (when there’s good lighting conditions)!

Ah didn’t realise we joined at the same time, for some reason I assumed you had always been here way longer than me

Well done on sticking to less! I think I may move on a few of the black ones, just to slim down my collection slightly.

I have been through way more than what I have shown here. The issue is I’ve gotten a lot better at buying - when I started I would buy a lot, but lots wouldn’t fit. Now most things I buy fit and so I find myself wanting to keep them all

newtojackets

Practically Family
That Crowtree leathers is super cool!
Thanks! I just saw it on eBay and had no idea what it was. Googled it recently and apparently it was a British maker that made motorcycle suits for racing. Fortunately this jacket is more casual looking and can is more versatile

Graemsay

Practically Family
Crowtree Leathers were a highly regarded makers of motorcycle leathers. They used to be very highly regarded and I believe that they were popular with road racers, or the nutters who ride things like the Isle of Man TT. They were highly regarded on the biker forums in the noughties.

I think that they wound up sometime around 2010 or 2011. The owner was getting on, and I recall he wasn't too well. He might have tried to sell the company on, but passed away soon after.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Crowtree Leathers were a highly regarded makers of motorcycle leathers. They used to be very highly regarded and I believe that they were popular with road racers, or the nutters who ride things like the Isle of Man TT. They were highly regarded on the biker forums in the noughties.

I think that they wound up sometime around 2010 or 2011. The owner was getting on, and I recall he wasn't too well. He might have tried to sell the company on, but passed away soon after.
Ah interesting, shame about the owner. The only forum I could see on it was on pistonheads, haven't heard much of it elsewhere

This could've/would've been my own collection some 15 years ago. Now I don't have a single motorcycle jacket anymore... In any case, very cool and very nice. Burberry looks like sheepskin. Fantastic, tough leather, when not skived.

newtojackets

Practically Family
This could've/would've been my own collection some 15 years ago. Now I don't have a single motorcycle jacket anymore... In any case, very cool and very nice. Burberry looks like sheepskin. Fantastic, tough leather, when not skived.
Sheepskin would make sense. It is very thick, yet soft and has a lovely texture. More jackets should be made of this type of sheepskin (rather than the thinner, flatter sheep jackets)

Sheepskin would make sense. It is very thick, yet soft and has a lovely texture. More jackets should be made of this type of sheepskin (rather than the thinner, flatter sheep jackets)

Sheepskin is often thought of having the same pitfalls of lambskin while people keep forgetting the 80's, which is when sheep truly earned its place on the leather jacket market.

You can still find countless A-2's by Avirex, made in thick, massive sheep leather that are holding their own as good as any cowhide or horsehide.

It's a tough hide with an unparalleled softness. You only have to be a bit more careful as it does cut more easily but otherwise, it's tough as nails. Less prone to rotting & drying out, too. I too was gullible enough to dismiss it long enough, having been brainwashed by the gEnUiNe FrAwNt QuArTeR HaWrSeHyDe cult but now half of my jackets are sheepskin.

IrishStu

One of the Regulars
Just when I thought I didn't need anymore jackets you post that stunning Golden Bear varsity jacket.

newtojackets

Practically Family
Sheepskin is often thought of having the same pitfalls of lambskin while people keep forgetting the 80's, which is when sheep truly earned its place on the leather jacket market.

You can still find countless A-2's by Avirex, made in thick, massive sheep leather that are holding their own as good as any cowhide or horsehide.

It's a tough hide with an unparalleled softness. You only have to be a bit more careful as it does cut more easily but otherwise, it's tough as nails. Less prone to rotting & drying out, too. I too was gullible enough to dismiss it long enough, having been brainwashed by the gEnUiNe FrAwNt QuArTeR HaWrSeHyDe cult but now half of my jackets are sheepskin.
Here in the UK, sheep is probably the most popular on vintage leather jackets

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth