Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Suit!

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Just won this puppy on ebay.

I'm going to be eating beans for the foreseeable future, but now I finally have a prime example to take to a tailor to base my suit on.

I'm thinking a deep, rich midnight blue.

I love the lines on this suit. Look at those lapels. It has character, spirit; but still manages to look very elegant.

http://tinyurl.com/gyp47

http://tinyurl.com/enwqm

Now I just have to find a sharp single breasted, peak lapel.
Still dreaming about the one that Chevalier sold...

Sefton

Call Me a Cab
Fantastic suit! What do you know of it's vintage? I love the lapels and the tapered waist. Very elegant! As for the suits that Mr.Chevalier sold;I think you're not alone in wishing you could've snapped it up. Sigh...

After buying this suit you might be poor but you'll be well dressed. And you'll get used to the beans. Lots of protein!;)

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Thanks, it looks like a late 1930's to me. My mom actually recognized the name of the store it came from in San Francisco and confirmed that they dealt in highend merchandise.

It won't fit me by a long shot, but it will serve as the model for getting one made.

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
>you actually bought it just to use as a model ? !

Yes. I'm a 48R with 36x32 pants and have yet to find something that fits me.

I've been looking for a high quality piece that I can take to a tailor and have duplicated. I'm not going to have the original suit disassembled, but it will be the reference.

I'll probably end up selling it once I've had a copy made.

Barry

Practically Family
I bought a suit from the same seller. I'm not sure where he finds them but he sure does have a nice collection. I bought a 42R 34/33 not too long ago. I wish some of his other suits were my size too.

Barry

Robert Conway

A-List Customer
Suit arrived today.

Interesting piece.

The workmanship is very high and I'm quite certain that this wasn't an off the rack item (it also has a label that says "Bench tailored"). In any case it is pretty obvious that this was not a cheap item.

The wool material is very heavy and thick; yet very soft and flexible. It may be the heaviest cloth I've ever seen used for suit. Perhaps it was meant for the winter season?

The inside of the jacket is fully lined and there is a good amount of padding around the shoulders, which are beautifully roped. It's a very 'sculpted' piece. The tailor really followed every contour of the customers body when he made this one. There is a lot of attention to detail. The pockets are beautifully lined.

The jacket is quite pinched around the waist, and the bottom of the 'bell' is slightly tapered. It must have been very form fitting. The jacket is about a 36-38 and the pants are a 29 waist.

The pants aren't pleated, but instead 'puff' out slightly from the waist band. Given the weight of the material, they must drape perfectly. They are high-waisted, but it's not a Hollywood waist.

I would date it to about 1936-39. I think it's very much a 1930's suit, tailored on the formal side. I really don't see any influence from the 1940's in this one.

Pretty neat, if you ask me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Conley