Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New budget M-65 Field Jacket?

Peacoat

Bartender

coolhandluke_7

New in Town
Those are hard to find, and that one looks new.

Yes they are. This one was deadstock mint when I originally purchased it 10+ years ago. It's been handwashed once with Woolite and cold water and hang dried while I've owned it. Only worn a couple times. I think it would be difficult to find a nicer example. Unfortunately, it's just too small for me nowadays.

I know the OP has already vetoed an original jacket, but I've had great luck finding surplus USGI field jackets in nice, wearable condition. Typically one wash is all it takes to get them clean and smelling great. There's honestly no way that I would ever purchase a repro M-65 unless I was looking for a commercial version where the pattern had been altered to a more modern (or smaller) fit.

Last edited:

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
@MrProper

How could I forget this point!!
What about the ominous water-repellence of M65? Could the Helikon resist a drizzle of maybe 30 minutes?
I don't know about the polyblend versions (although I expect there's a similar solution) but Nikwax Cotton Proof does the trick for my cotton field jackets.

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
@MrProper

How could I forget this point!!
What about the ominous water-repellence of M65? Could the Helikon resist a drizzle of maybe 30 minutes?
Unfortunately, no idea (yet). I haven't been able to try it out yet. But I have to say that I usually avoid walking for 30 minutes in the drizzle without an umbrella.
The fabric is 50% cotton, 50% nylon. I think it will work for a certain amount of time, but it's probably not a rain jacket. You can probably waterproof the fabric though.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
@QueenFreyja would you have any interest in an unissued, mint late production (1964) M-1951? I have an XS regular on hand that just might work if you are interested and live in CONUS.

View attachment 643227

View attachment 643228

View attachment 643230

View attachment 643231 View attachment 643232

View attachment 643234

View attachment 643236
its unique, the drawstring puller on the outside, no triangle sleeve end flap, buttoned cuff, and no action back, is this a proto m65?

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I have directly compared the Helikon and the Brandit and have to say that the Helikon is better by far. The Brandit costs half as much as the Helikon, you get more than twice as much with the Helikon.
Everything about the Helikon is of higher quality. The fabric is heavier and feels better. The liner is almost a jacket in its own right, etc.
Even though both jackets have almost identical dimensions, there are still differences. The Brandit is 1/2 inch shorter than stated and than the Helikon. The sleeves of the Brandit are 1" narrower at the upper arm. The pockets on the Helikon are almost 1" larger. The epaulettes on the Helikone are wider than on the Brandit. The colours are different etc.
Guess which one I kept.
Here are a few pictures.
View attachment 642559
View attachment 642560
View attachment 642562
View attachment 642563
View attachment 642566 View attachment 642567 View attachment 642568 View attachment 642569 View attachment 642570

View attachment 642571
color and pattern wise I like your brandit, the helikon might be using better material, but the shoulder is pulling , you can see diagonal line from your neck toward the armpost, I think the sleeve on the helikon is too spreading and since you downsize it, then the shoulder line which is designed to be worn drop shoulder now the shoulder line is exactly your size, and the sleeve design make it look worse and pulling, basically this jacket is designed like type 1 denim jacket or kimono coat meant to be worn off shoulder to create a soft rounded shoulder while the brandit is cut like a proper coat sleeve, looks neat with more square shoulder.

Last edited:

MrProper

I'll Lock Up
color and pattern wise I like your brandit, the helikon might be using better material, but the shoulder is pulling , you can see diagonal line from your neck toward the armpost, I think the sleeve on the helikon is too spreading and since you downsize it, then the shoulder line which is designed to be worn drop shoulder now the shoulder line is exactly your size, and the sleeve design make it look worse and pulling, basically this jacket is designed like type 1 denim jacket or kimono coat meant to be worn off shoulder to create a soft rounded shoulder while the brandit is cut like a proper coat sleeve, looks neat with more square shoulder.
The dimensions are the same except for the sleeves. The sleeves are 2" narrower on the Brandit. The main difference, why it is so different in the pictures, will be the liner of the Brandit. It puffs out more than the liner of the Helikon. This in combination with the tight sleeves fills everything out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jbain75