Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New budget M-65 Field Jacket?

TLW '90

Practically Family
Sure if you're wearing skinny jeans it may look off, but not with a basic slim straight or regular straight.

barnabus

One Too Many
Would be nice to hear how it compares to the Helikon one!

It did arrive today.

It's going back, because the eBay listing had some inaccuracies. But never mind that.

The Alpha is absolutely not as well made as the Helikon, in my opinion.

The construction is less accurate, the details poorly-finished, the velcro fixings haphazardly placed. Stitching is all over the place. Nyco fabric feels thinner on the Alpha too. The whole thing just feels much less substantial and not as well put-together.

None of which really matters on a functional military jacket of course. But in a world where I could buy a Helikon jacket instead, I'd buy the Helikon jacket instead.

And I actually might. Because I do like the olive green colour, and the Helikon I already have is black. And Military 1st have them reduced again.

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
It did arrive today.

It's going back, because the eBay listing had some inaccuracies. But never mind that.

The Alpha is absolutely not as well made as the Helikon, in my opinion.

The construction is less accurate, the details poorly-finished, the velcro fixings haphazardly placed. Stitching is all over the place. Nyco fabric feels thinner on the Alpha too. The whole thing just feels much less substantial and not as well put-together.

None of which really matters on a functional military jacket of course. But in a world where I could buy a Helikon jacket instead, I'd buy the Helikon jacket instead.

And I actually might. Because I do like the olive green colour, and the Helikon I already have is black. And Military 1st have them reduced again.
Not camo?

TLW '90

Practically Family
I haven't worn camo since I was a student in the early 90s.
I've been wearing USGI M81 woodland camo on my head every single say since I was 12 years old, and will probably have a USGI patrol cap or USGI boonie in M81 woodland on my head when I die hopefully at the age of 100.
I have a few other hats that I wear for certain things, but I'm building up a lifetime supply of USGI patrol caps and boonies.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Not my style, but beautiful indeed.

Yes it's kind of funny how the guy had him do a sort of old fashioned American half-belt instead of something more traditional to the region, but it's harder to do the half-belt so I think that speaks to his abilities.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust