Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New budget M-65 Field Jacket?

QueenFreyja

New in Town
Hello, I'm looking for an M-65 field jacket for under $250, I know a lot of people recommend thrifting or shopping surplus to get a vintage one, however I'd really like to avoid the uncertainties of conditio, repairs, smell, etc. and would rather just buy new from a modern manufacturer. From the research I've done online it seems to come down to Alpha Industries, Helikon Tex, and Bronson, so I was wondering which would be the best quality?

I've heard mixed opinions; some think Alpha is the best as they are the original manufacturers of the M-65 but others say their quality has significantly dropped since becoming a commercialized clothing brand.

Would love recommendations, thank you!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I bought mine new very cheap something like $25 when converted into usd, a local indonesian cotton canvas replica without liner buttons, and when worn in slimmer size like this, i think it looks the part already, i often pair it with this cotton duck vest. But its not water resistant but works for my daily wear.

Another Indonesian brand "timechineco" also have m65 replica much better than what I got here for around $100 and in many sizes from xs to xxl Just google it, i once bought shawl collar cossack from that brand and pretty happy with it (although i re sewn the buttons to give them proper neck in stronger thicker thread).

But Im already happy with what I got here, $25 well spent for the look without the real function perfect for my warm tropical climate GridArt_20231005_072341765.jpg

Khilij

One of the Regulars
While I don't have the M65 from Bronson specifically, I have ordered a few other pieces from them, such as an MA-1 jacket, and been very happy with the quality.

barnabus

One Too Many
I have an M65 from Helikon-Tex.

I can't recommend it highly enough, it's superb. Construction, attention to detail and robustness are outstanding. It is my go-to jacket for any situation.

I've never worn an original issue M65, but I have tried modern repros from Superdry and Brandit and Mil-Tec, as well as no-name budget alternatives.

I am very satisfied with mine.

QueenFreyja

New in Town

I can't recommend it highly enough, it's superb. Construction, attention to detail and robustness are outstanding. It is my go-to jacket for any situation.

I've never worn an original issue M65, but I have tried modern repros from Superdry and Brandit and Mil-Tec, as well as no-name budget alternatives.

Thanks for the rec! Do you happen to know whether the "Covert" M-65 that Helikon sells is the same kind? I can't seem to find any information on differences or whether they sold a different M-65 that was discontinued

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
You could easily get a late 60s one in good condition for less than $100 if you look around, theyre not exactly in short supply

QueenFreyja

New in Town

Do you have the covert version? Seems to be the only one they sell now

barnabus

One Too Many
Do you have the covert version? Seems to be the only one they sell now

Nope. Not the Covert. Mine is the original one, like this:

TLW '90

Practically Family
Just go surplus, most are cleaned...etc and graded on condition where the worst ones are the cheapest...etc

For USGI anything original is always better because it's the real deal, most of the stuff isn't typically anything special so being original USGI is what's cool about it.
At least that's my opinion anyways, but most of my USGI clothing...etc was handed down to my by my dad who received it from uncle Sam back in the late 70's-80's.

TLW '90

Practically Family
I'm not interested in surplus or pre-owned
Get interested, because the reproductions just aren't the same.
Either things are tweaked / changed, you're getting similar quality for more in an inauthentic imported jacket, or you're paying way more for something very premium.
Get a good condition interwar m-65 from the mid -late 70's ,you can get a really good example for little money and get a liner with it.
You'll have a genuine piece that's actually worty having.
1726261902551.png

Personally I just don't think anything new that's within your budget is worth owning.

QueenFreyja

New in Town
Get interested, because the reproductions just aren't the same.
Either things are tweaked / changed, you're getting similar quality for more in an inauthentic imported jacket, or you're paying way more for something very premium.
Get a good condition interwar m-65 from the mid -late 70's ,you can get a really good example for little money and get a liner with it.
You'll have a genuine piece that's actually worty having. View attachment 639586

Personally I just don't think anything new that's within your budget is worth owning.
No

barnabus

One Too Many
I'd probably get the helikon if not for the fact It's not available in XS, my chest is 38-40 inch or 96-102 cm, the small is 116 cm which would probably be giant on me

You might be surprised.

I am a 39-40 chest and mine is a EU Small / US XSmall, and it fits perfectly.

There are plenty of pictures around here of me wearing it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markc1