Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Akubra Squatter!

indycop

I'll Lock Up
Ugarte said:
I take it some diluted Elmer's might be appropriate?

Mark
Just make sure whatever you use is not so diluted or put on so thick that it comes through the felt and shows up on the outside. I would have used elmers but my mother in law being a seamstress had the right glue. I did not put any above the ribbon line just in case it bled through.;)
It really was quite simple!

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
You know, I have yet to glue a liner back in... I keep saying I'm going to glue them in with a hot glue gun or something (that's what it looks like they originally used), but never got around to it. My liners are just stuck in there.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Full strength

Mark,
I'd use the Elmers full strength...ya water it down and it would be more prone to soak through. Just use a little dab here and there and let it dry...

riccardo

Practically Family
Colby Jack said:
Riccardo...was that you that bought the size 60 Bushman?....I was asking Deb about that one and the Campdraft...she said someone was getting the last size 60 Bushman...So I'm going for the Campdraft first....and the Bushman later on....:eusa_clap :D

Sorry for this [huh] Colby,
however you've choose a lovely lid, I wear my Campdraft every day, it's a great hat.
I'll post some pics with me under the Bushman.
Happy Cristhmas.

Riccardo.

P.s. Deb is a VNP (very nice person) isn't she?

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Colby Jack said:
Mark,
I'd use the Elmers full strength...ya water it down and it would be more prone to soak through. Just use a little dab here and there and let it dry...

Elmers, full strength, sparingly. Check.

Mark

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Fatdutchman said:
Here's what I've been doing with western hats that I want to reshape. Take out the liner, fill it with water, and set it on top of the crown in the bathtub. Go eat a sandwich. Come back when the water has all run out through the felt. The crown should be reasonably well shaped now (as good as it's going to be without actual reblocking). You can push it with your fingers here and there as necessary to get a nice shape, then set aside to dry. Go back and check it every now and then while it's drying to push out any places that gravity might have sunk in. Now, after it's dry, shape it as you desire.

Hard creases will always leave a mark on the crown, but it's usually faint, and once you soak it and push it all out, it won't try to return to its original position. ;)

Okay, as much gabbing as I've done since I found this great place, I've managed to avoid starting any new threads :), so here's another one I'll dredge up...

I have a nice 60+ yr-old hat with a very sharp ancient crease in the front, and I was thinking of trying your method. Just to get this straight - I actually sit the hat upside-down in the tub, full of water? And then once the water has run out, how do I place it to dry? Thanks for your help!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe