Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Veste de Rallye in black FQHH

Lear

One of the Regulars
Arrived today :D . Beautifully made by Vicki:

DSCF0414.jpg

DSCF0417.jpg

DSCF0425.jpg

DSCF0415.jpg

DSCF0422.jpg

DSCF0424.jpg

Lear

Cooperson

One Too Many
Stunning coat Lear - the lining looks great against the black hide and the zip and stud inner pockets are nice feature. How is the fit? Any pictures of you wearing it?

Enjoy the breaking in process, it will look even better after a bit wear.

Cheers

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Looking good.

My zipsleeved Highwayman was also made by Vicki.
I have never seen better craftmanship, it was truly amazing.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Cooperson said:
Stunning coat Lear - the lining looks great against the black hide and the zip and stud inner pockets are nice feature. How is the fit? Any pictures of you wearing it?

Enjoy the breaking in process, it will look even better after a bit wear.

Cheers

As you probably know, I like the VdR (my second).

I can only guess at how confusing it must be for Amanda to keep track of constantly changing specifications. Each time I remember another fab feature, an entirely new PDF (with embedded pics) is created. I'm guessing that this makes her life easier, and lessens the chance of error.

I love the olive green gabardine. If I were to ever get another Aero, which I simply will not do lol , I'd go for the same lining again. Unless you live in the far north, or want a dedicated winter coat/jacket, anything heavier will be too much for the United Kingdom.

As much as I'm loathe to post pics of my hideous self, I shall do so when time permits. The fit of this black 46 is a tad looser around the shoulders than the exact same 46 cordovan. I've also added length to the sleeves and body. Being organic in nature, I think that there'll always be a slight variation in fit between two identical models. The internal zip pocket is a little tricky for my jumbo hands. Other than that, a perfect coat, made by a great British company.

My thanks again to FL members, especially JanSolo, for providing many of the ideas.

GriffDeLaGriff said:
Looking good.

My zipsleeved Highwayman was also made by Vicki.
I have never seen better craftmanship, it was truly amazing.

Agreed on the quality of craftsmanship. It has been worth the wait. Moira also did a great job on my cordovan VdR.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Jeff M said:
Beautiful coat.
When did you place the order?

Thanks Jeff M. I placed the order direct through Aero UK on 3rd December 2009. Received today, 14 May 2010.

Lear

eClairvaux

One of the Regulars
congratulations, that's really a nice one! however I wonder if the zippered inner pocket is really practical? Can you share your experience about this?

I am now settled for a longer period with my three Aero's, but thinking of having Aero tinker a bit with my first, not-customized purchase.
The torture never stops :)

Gancho

One of the Regulars
yes, really beautiful jacket and the olive garbine is perfect (just thinking of chanching my order... i ordered a black cafe racer with black garbadine).

coming back to the question of the zipped inside pocket. i have a jacket with the same inside equipment. for me the zipped pocket is to bulky. the snap pocket is much thinner and is not so visible from "outside".

regards

olli

Lear

One of the Regulars
andy richards said:
What a beatiful jacket! Congratulations and enjoy breaking it in.
Superb lining too!
Andy

Thanks, I shall indeed enjoy the breaking in process.

eClairvaux said:
congratulations, that's really a nice one! however I wonder if the zippered inner pocket is really practical? Can you share your experience about this?

I am now settled for a longer period with my three Aero's, but thinking of having Aero tinker a bit with my first, not-customized purchase.
The torture never stops :)

The zippered pocket is much harder to slide my large hand into. The zip mechanism plus the brass teeth make it all rather tricky (and smaller), but also make it less likely that I'll lose my wallet; which is now empty by the way, as I spent all of my dosh on an Aero. I don't know if this pocket loosens up over time.

QTime said:
fit pics, fit pics, fit pics :eusa_clap

great jacket !

Simon.

Yes, I know that fit pics say more than a thousand words. I'm perhaps one of the few FL members who've gone through:
  • Cordovan VdR in size 48 with 1inch on body & sleeves. Three piece back. Have fit pics - Sold.
  • Cordovan VdR in size 46 with 1.5 inches on body & sleeves. Two piece back. Have fit pics - Current.
  • Black VdR in size 46 with 2.5 inches on body & sleeves. Two piece back. Fit pics coming soon - Current.
Might be useful to some wishing to compare.

Will do soon...

Gancho said:
yes, really beautiful jacket and the olive garbine is perfect (just thinking of chanching my order... i ordered a black cafe racer with black garbadine).

coming back to the question of the zipped inside pocket. i have a jacket with the same inside equipment. for me the zipped pocket is to bulky. the snap pocket is much thinner and is not so visible from "outside".

regards

olli

The gabardine is apparently harder wearing. It feels smoother to the touch. I put the same in my cordovan VdR.

The snap closure pocket does have a slightly lower profile, but on this boxy cut coat I'll probably not notice it. Too early to say whether pocket contents will imprint their shape onto the horsehide.

Navin323i

Practically Family
Beautiful jacket, Lear! My Aero jacket should hopefully arrive within the next few weeks so I can finally join the ranks of you and the other Aero jacket owners here. :)

Few questions... how do you know who made your jacket? Does Aero put a tag on the jacket... in your case, "Made by Vicki"? If so then where on the jacket does this tag reside?

JanSolo

Practically Family
Lear, great looking jacket. And Vicky really took her time to make your jacket. Aero's needlework is always amazing... The olive sateen gabardine goes really well with the black outer shell.
You should post one or two pics of you wearing the jacket.

Navin, all Aero jackets come with a cardboard hangtag ( 2x3 inches, usually attached to the button holes or the zipper slider) that says "This Aero Leather garment was made exclusively by..." and then comes the name of the machinist in handwriting. Some jackets also have a very small tag sewn into the pocket that states the name of the owner and when the jacket was made.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Navin323i said:
Beautiful jacket, Lear! My Aero jacket should hopefully arrive within the next few weeks so I can finally join the ranks of you and the other Aero jacket owners here. :)

Few questions... how do you know who made your jacket? Does Aero put a tag on the jacket... in your case, "Made by Vicki"? If so then where on the jacket does this tag reside?

Thanks Navin323i. Yep, you'll know who made it as JanSolo described above.

It's still a nerve-wracking wait, until that box arrives. The first thing you'll notice is the gorgeous smell. Then hopefully, you'll discover that it fits you perfectly :D .

I sometimes wonder if FL is a blessing or a curse to Aero. Without it, new customers would simply order standard models, with maybe an extra pocket added at the most. Now we've come to the point where we're specifying who makes the jacket. It must drive them nuts at times. I have myself been all over the place with this order, even though I took the time to do lots of research. I blame Jansolo for coming up with so many wonderful ideas :p.

JanSolo said:
Lear, great looking jacket. And Vicky really took her time to make your jacket. Aero's needlework is always amazing... The olive sateen gabardine goes really well with the black outer shell.
You should post one or two pics of you wearing the jacket. <snip>

I stole the green gabardine lining from you, as well as the two piece back. Thanks for that.

Pics will be taken, just can't say when...

Lear

Ace Rimmer

One of the Regulars
As I mentioned on SF, that's a very nice jacket.

I didn't realize you had a zipper pocket. I can see the value, as I was recently hiking in the woods and was paranoid about losing my wallet. I bought a pair of REI hiking pants that has a single zipped cargo pocket on the right thigh (the other pockets are secured with velcro). I feel much better when hiking having my keys and wallet in that zippered pocket.

Nothing like getting back to your car after a long day on the trail and realizing you dropped your keys somewhere a few miles back ....

Tony No-Toes

One of the Regulars
Options, options, options...

"I sometimes wonder if FL is a blessing or a curse to Aero. Without it, new customers would simply order standard models, with maybe an extra pocket added at the most. Now we've come to the point where we're specifying who makes the jacket. It must drive them nuts at times. I have myself been all over the place with this order, even though I took the time to do lots of research. I blame Jansolo for coming up with so many wonderful ideas ."

FL certainly creates an awareness about the company. Perhaps Aero makes better jackets now because they're pushed in all these new directions. Yes, Jansolo has also forced me into thinking through many more options than I would have without his input. In retrospect some of these options seem rather obvious but I don't think I'd have thought about them were they not pointed out.
I like the black FQHH and the liner. Congratulations.

Lear

One of the Regulars
Ace Rimmer said:
As I mentioned on SF, that's a very nice jacket.

I didn't realize you had a zipper pocket. I can see the value, as I was recently hiking in the woods and was paranoid about losing my wallet. I bought a pair of REI hiking pants that has a single zipped cargo pocket on the right thigh (the other pockets are secured with velcro). I feel much better when hiking having my keys and wallet in that zippered pocket.

Nothing like getting back to your car after a long day on the trail and realizing you dropped your keys somewhere a few miles back ....

Thanks. The zippered pocket was a last minute thing. To reach the internal hanging pockets on my cordovan VdR, I have to swing open the entire front flanks; like opening the portcullis to a castle. With the gun pockets, it's like cracking open the kitchen door to let the cat in. Much less jostling, although the vertical position of this pocket makes it harder for the hand to slip in.

N.B. I don't have a cat.

I still consider myself to be a newbie when it comes to Aero leather. Bearing that in mind, I'm loathe to make any suggestions or bold statements, lest a lurker runs with the idea and fouls up his order. However, my experience has been that the VdR can be worn as a normal coat, meaning you don't plan on wearing heavy garments under it, as long as you are of stout, chunky or large build. On a lightly framed individual, I feel it might overwhelm. Ace Rimmer, you probably did the right thing in trimming it down.

May the Aero be with you

Tony No-Toes said:
FL certainly creates an awareness about the company. Perhaps Aero makes better jackets now because they're pushed in all these new directions. Yes, Jansolo has also forced me into thinking through many more options than I would have without his input. In retrospect some of these options seem rather obvious but I don't think I'd have thought about them were they not pointed out.
I like the black FQHH and the liner. Congratulations.

All true. I didn't even know Aero existed before I joined FL.

OneStar

New in Town
Another Aero "Tragic"

I thought I was clever discovering an alternative to the "mall jacket" in when I located the Schott NYC site on the web. This was before I stumbled upon the Fedora Lounge and have been intrigued by the knowlege and detail available in the various threads relating to "serious" leather jackets. This forum certainly has enough information on Aero jackets for the company to have its own sub-category.

I need to get my post numbers up so I can upload some photos. I recently bought a Vanson Model J in brown FQHH (new with tags) from Ebay and I am awaiting my first Aero (a Highwayman, again in brown FQHH with a few modifications) any day now. Seems the Highwayman is the "training wheels" Aero for many Loungers. I'm looking forward to comparing the two company's FQHH. My Vanson jacket is fantastic and I think I was lucky to find one in new condition since Vanson does not appear to supply much in horsehide any more.

I have really appreciated the great ideas posted by members.

Cheers,
Richard

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vetox88