Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Name this Tartan ? and Suggest Others

IXL

One Too Many
I guess I'm lucky in that regard. There's only two choices in the Clan Skene Tartan, ancient or modern. Not much of a headache there at all. Of course finding it is another issue all together. Not many of us Skene's around compared to some Clans, and that makes it a little harder to find stuff.

Oh, you genuine Scots get all the breaks!

IXL

One Too Many
Greetings from a noobie from Ireland.....why not research your family tree and see if there is any scottish blood and then pick your tribal plaid.....royal stewart is the ubiquitous nissan econo of plaids by the way.

I actually do have some Scottish heritage but I don't know how to find out if they had a tartan. I always assumed most didn't.

IXL

One Too Many
Sloan, I had t look up the word "sept." Just learned something! This just might be a good direction to go.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Personally, I'd just go for a pattern that you could see from the moon - Buchanan Ancient or Scrimgeor Ancient - but that's just me...:D

Meerkat

Familiar Face
hmmm maybe tartans should be accorded the same respect as gang colours.... i mean you wouldnt wear an eton tie if you didnt go to eton.....mine is nice skye blue ..clark.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Depends, is it a nice tie?:D If your family tartan's nice and it matches your jacket, then cool, but I wouldn't be hide bound by it if you don't fancy it. I've got Grant Weathered in my brown LHB, and it looks ace, a far better match than Lamont my family tartan would've.

Edward

Bartender
The actual tartan lining in the last photo.
The black and pink one in the final shot is not Black Stewart. I don't know what it is, but this is Black Stewart:

stb_m.jpg

Also, look for sept clan tartans. Sometimes you had a clan that was given the protection of a bigger clan, and were allowed to use their tartan as well.

...and not every family had tartan at all...

I actually do have some Scottish heritage but I don't know how to find out if they had a tartan. I always assumed most didn't.

Many didn't.... and in all honesty so much of it is really a Victorian Anglo-Scottish invention, much like the kilt as we know it today.

Meerkat

Familiar Face
Depends, is it a nice tie?:D If your family tartan's nice and it matches your jacket, then cool, but I wouldn't be hide bound by it if you don't fancy it. I've got Grant Weathered in my brown LHB, and it looks ace, a far better match than Lamont my family tartan would've.
Nice doesnt cut it when you accidentally wear an old school tie and you are accosted by an old boy...worse than having your tats sandblasted off by a 1% . Look... fly under false colours if you wish but dont be surprised if you end up with a scean dhu in your grallochs....there now I have a new tartan purity website idea......

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Well, that sale is still on... But, nah, that really would be beyond the pale. I'll just keep picking pretty patterns and worry about the historical niceties later.

Meerkat

Familiar Face
Well, that sale is still on... But, nah, that really would be beyond the pale. I'll just keep picking pretty patterns and worry about the historical niceties later.
As a matter of interest the phrase 'beyond the pale ' is particularly Irish.. meaning that portion of the country that was not under Norman rule but since the selection of colours for plaid seems shrouded as you put it Sloan in Victorian fog...then ar aghaidh leat mar a deirtear. Belstaff had a green plaid in their linings for their waxed cottons and I see that Christian louboutin has become fond of plaids so customising your leather with either an aesthetically pleasing plaid or better still your own clans or sub clan sounds good.

IXL

One Too Many
The black and pink one in the final shot is not Black Stewart. I don't know what it is, but this is Black Stewart:

stb_m.jpg

...and not every family had tartan at all...

Many didn't.... and in all honesty so much of it is really a Victorian Anglo-Scottish invention, much like the kilt as we know it today.

I really like this one. Can one see it from the moon?

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
This s hands down my favorite Tartan pattern, as worn by the great one, Sr. Jackie Stewart!
5893471850_f0b0c6d2be_o_zpsbb4504ff.jpg
sir_jackie_stewart_196yuyq_zps0b69704a.png
JACKIE4_zpsc3a445aa.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld