Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Proposed Aero Ace Cafe MC jacket

rusty22039

New in Town
Hi guys,

This is my first post although I've been lurking for several months. Lot's of great information here.

I have been cleaning out the closet over the past month selling a variety of jackets to fund my first custom Aero jacket. I have owned several second hand Aero's in the past, but have never found one that actually fit correctly. I had several Happy Days jackets which were just too blousy for my taste and I just sold a LW Halfbelt which was nice but will be replaced by this jacket. I love the texture of horse. I own a Vanson Ike Jacket in Tahoe HH and it is woderful. Since I ride and have always admired Vanson's Enfield, and seeing that Vanson no longer uses HH, I have decided to go with an Aero Ace Cafe. I have some concerns with this model in that I'm 5'9", 185lbs with a stout build and don't want the jacket too confining. I would like to be able to layer a thin fleece under it but also to have it be useable during the warmer months. Perhaps if I forward these considerations on to Aero, they can make a jacket which will fit the bill.

After searching out the combined wisdom of this board, here are the proposed jacket details:

-Black FQHH (? Vintage HH?)
-Bi-swing back as in the Long halfback
-Inside waist leather band similar to what is in the Café Racer
-Inside G-1 style pocket and zippered pocket in lining on opposite sides
-G-1 Style inside windflap
-Red Cotton drill lining with satin overlay in the arms.

Several questions:

I love the look of the waxy FQHH, but have concerns with how stiff it is. I am not thrilled with the idea of needing a year or more to break in this jacket. So I am giving consideration to Vintage HH. Does anyone have comments on the vintage HH versus the regular FQHH? Will the vintage leather develop a patina or does it just stay looking crinkly?

I have noticed on a number of my other Aero jackets, the G-1 style pockets have a tendency to draw up the leather on that side of the jacket causing a verticle crease in the leather parallel to the zipper which is visible on the outside especially if the jacket is worn open.

Any comments would be most appreciated as the order is going out today.

Rusty
Fairfax, VA

53Effie

A-List Customer
Ike Jacket

Rusty. I noted that you have an Ike jacket. I wonder if you could provide some info or advice on the fit of the Ike. I have just ordered a new one this week in competition weight cowhide. I don't see much mention of that model on this site. From what I have read about Vanson, it seems that you usually have to size up one size. I have a Vanson Comet in a 46 that is a very good fit; so I went to the same size in the Ike...hopefully the right choice. I normally wear a 44, but if the Comet was a 44 it would be too small I'm sure. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Peacoat

Bartender
Welcome to the FL, Rusty. I haven't had a problem with the G-1 pocket causing a crease in any of my jackets, including Aero. I have noticed that several of them are made too deep, all the way to the waistline.

As to the satin liner in the arms, I wouldn't waste my money on that feature as it will add nothing to the functionality of the jacket. With the cotton drill lining in the sleeves, you don't need any other liner, plus it won't add to the aesthetics, as the sleeve liner can't be seen. Cotton drill is a very good choice for the sleeves.

You say that Vanson no longer uses HH; I'm not sure that is correct. When I checked in December, they had none in stock, but were expecting a new shipment at some point in the future. It is now the future and it may have come in. I opted to not wait on the HH, but placed my order with the cow.

Good luck with your Aero, and please post some pictures when it comes in.

OneEyeMan

Practically Family
Peacoat said:
I have noticed that several of them are made too deep, all the way to the waistline.

As to the satin liner in the arms, I wouldn't waste my money on that feature as it will add nothing to the functionality of the jacket. With the cotton drill lining in the sleeves, you don't need any other liner, plus it won't add to the aesthetics, as the sleeve liner can't be seen. Cotton drill is a very good choice for the sleeves.

Hey Peacoat,
I totally agree with you on the depth of the G1 pocket. The one in my Highwayman also goes almost all the way to the waist. Maybe I'll stitch it shorter some day. I've already stitched the outer zipped chest pocket about 2" shorter. Now I can retrieve my cell phone easily.
As for the satin in the arms, I gotta disagree with you. While the cotton drill is long wearing, it's somewhat coarse and makes sliding my arms in difficult. Wish I'd have thought of that before I ordered my Highwayman. For comparison, I have an old Andrew Marc jacket in goatskin that is completely lined in gold satin. Besides looking great, as soon as I put my first arm in, the jacket kinda falls onto me, very easily. Satin in the arms should be standard on all of Aero's jackets (as well as a leather or courderoy band at the bottom of the lining)
Just my $.02. ;)
Lenny

maltess

New in Town
Rusty. I noted that you have an Ike jacket. I wonder if you could provide some info or advice on the fit of the Ike. I have just ordered a new one this week in competition weight cowhide. I don't see much mention of that model on this site. From what I have read about Vanson, it seems that you usually have to size up one size. I have a Vanson Comet in a 46 that is a very good fit; so I went to the same size in the Ike...hopefully the right choice. I normally wear a 44, but if the Comet was a 44 it would be too small I'm sure. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

I am considering the Vanson Ike, could you tell me if is a slim fit?

thanks a lot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
centurionslut