Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Federation

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Trimming

I just trimmed my carbon Fed this evening, guided by cooncatbob's instructions.

I couldn't find a decent compass that uses pencils, so I had to go with a Stadtler drawing compass with leads, which can't be sharpened. I had to run it around about 3 times to get a visible mark, and it didn't stay visible long. So I wound up cutting by eye, doling pretty well, but wishing I had a mark I could see.

I started with a 2 3/8" trim, tried it on, realized the large crown makes a brim appear wider (huh? who'dathunk it?), and proceeded to 2 1/4". I like the proportions pretty well, but the brim seems to have little curve or character to its snap now - if anything it's even flatter than before.

I also can't get rid of the ever so slight flat and/or bumpy spots on the edge by sanding (and I've done about 3 rounds of it now). They're too small to feel but easy to see, so looking at them just makes me feel awful, as if I've made a mistake I'll never undo. I suppose I'll just keep sanding, as carefully as I can (which is not very).

I may post some pix when I get over myself.

Davidson

One of the Regulars
Don't feel bad, just keep sanding...

Fletch, if you are trying to sand the edge by just sanding straight on the high spots, you will likely end up "chasing your tail". Try sanding in an arc, sweeping around the brim edge, and letting the sandpaper find the high spots by itself. Try putting the hat, brim down, flat on a table, with a section of the brim hanging over the edge of the table to sand on. Easier to handle that way for me, I can keep the brim flat. Sand in an arc several passes, rotate the hat. Sand in an arc, rotate the hat...

On the brim edge, I use 60 grit. It may take several complete circles of sanding to get the edge you want. It would take a couple days steady work to sand down to the crown, so just take your time until you are satisfied. I mean, you won't end up with a stingy brim by sanding:) Good luck!

cooncatbob

Practically Family
You can sharpen those compass leads with the sandpaper or an emery board, lay the sandpaper on a table and put a wedge bevel on the lead. I actually scratched a line as the lead is the same color as the hat.
You can use coarse sandpaper to clean up the edge (80 or 100 grit) and when you have a nice clean curve use 180 or finer. Have you tried steaming the brim to get some curve in it? Akubra's a pretty stiff hat, I've had to steam mine several times as it wants to flatten back out when I'm not looking but it's getting there.
Good luck. Bob.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mighty good suggestions. I will try them. I still have a tawny Fed coming on backorder, and I probably won't like the superwide brim any better in that color.

For now tho, have a look at the Fletcheration...

451646872_15ee18489a.jpg

Rooster

Practically Family
Looks to me like you could have handled the wider brim with no problem. Narrower looks fine too.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It's a sensitivity issue. I'm in NYC a lot and the carbon or black Fed is very similar at full brim width to hats worn by some Orthodox Jewish men. I don't want to risk any misunderstandings on their part.

MattJH

One Too Many
I totally understand. When I wear my Federation I feel like a Pez dispenser. It doesn't stop me (yet), but it does make me feel a bit self-conscious.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Fletch said:
Mighty good suggestions. I will try them. I still have a tawny Fed coming on backorder, and I probably won't like the superwide brim any better in that color.

451646872_15ee18489a.jpg

Feathers usually bug me, but I really like yours. Very cool.

Love the expression, too. :p

Spellflower

Practically Family
:eusa_clap
Nice job, Fletch! I agree that you could have handled a wider brim, but it looks damn fine- a real classic look. Thanks also for the side view- it helps give a good idea of the new dimensions of the hat.

I think I'm gonna have to shop for a compass this week!

Spellflower

Practically Family
Yeah, it actually looks narrower in the side view than the front view. Not bad, though. I'm thinking I'll start by just taking off a quarter inch, bringing it down to 2 3/4. My Akubra Fedora is 2 1/2, and I'd like to have a hat with a slightly wider brim, but without the head-dwarfing effect of the current 3".

Even if I do go further, I'll try to take some pics at different sizes along the way.

Stoney

Practically Family
I finally broke down and bought one of them.

Fletch said:

451646872_15ee18489a.jpg

I received mine today and promptly followed Bob's directions removing 1/4" all the way around. I was quite happy with the resulting brim size and really didn't have an issue with the crown height, which was 4 1/2 inches after it was bashed.

Check out the Stoneyration in Tawny Fawn:

TheStoneyration-1.jpg

And Yeah.. My apologies for the ugly Mug.. LOL

citRon

A-List Customer
Mr. 'H' said:
Bob, I was gunna do this with my own one:
MCRMarch06019.jpg

How did you make the line with a compass - I do not understand. [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh]
^^^Is that the regular Federation, or the Deluxe in the photo above??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe