Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My New Federation

cooncatbob

Practically Family
After getting skunked again on a vintage wide brim fedora I decided to bite the bullet and get a Federation from Hats direct. I was a little leary ordering from half way around the world, I had a bad experience with a Becker car stereo from a website in the UK that got stuck in customs and eventualy sent back. I ordered the carbon grey as I already have quite a few brown hats. I was impress that they sent me an e-mail asking me to measure and confirm my head size which I did and I was even more impressed when the said 5 to 10 days and it arrived on the 5th day today. The hat is perfect but much stiffer then my vintage hats. I was able to do the bash no problem but steam was required to get the brim the way I like it. Here's a couple pictures, I was too lazy to set up the tripod so the self portrait looks kinda lame. Bob.
435514092_d24c140c94.jpg

435515350_5e6379e5ef.jpg

Jerekson

One Too Many
Oh, the Federation.

I cannot even begin to express my love for this hat.

Don't even get me fired up :p

Looks nice, Bob. What kind of crease did you give it?

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Jerekson said:
Oh, the Federation.

I cannot even begin to express my love for this hat.

Don't even get me fired up :p

Looks nice, Bob. What kind of crease did you give it?

Thanks; I tried to do a diamond crease but it came out more like a tear drop which is okay for now. Bob.

Razzman

One Too Many
That's a mighty fine looking hat. Would you mind sharing the dimensions? Brim width, crown height, ribbon width? Thanks and congratulations:eusa_clap

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Great choice, Bob. The felt will soften as it ages. Playing with it and wearing it in all types of weather will really help. When the crown softens up from a few rains, it will probably be more willing to take the diamond crease. Enjoy.
NB

Good idea, Fletch.
As it occurred to me: get one to keep nice and clean and fit for Saturday night (and Sunday morning, too, should I ever find a good reason to venture out of doors on a Sunday morning) and another to beat the hell out of.
It looks good on you, cooncatbob. It could be reasonably argued that the Akubra Federation is the best value to be had among the modern factory-made hats. At least that's what the experience of the guys around here has me thinking. And it LOOKS RIGHT, too. (Why, oh why, can't the other large manufacturers figure that out?)

cooncatbob

Practically Family
I think I voided the warranty. lol After wearing the hat most of the day I came to believe that It had too much brim for my rather narrow Face. The brim on this hat is the same as the Hoosier that Art is making for me. So I e-mailed Art a picture of me wearing the Federation and another with me wearing a 2 inch Stetson. I voiced my concern about the brim and what did he think. He conquered and will make my Hoosier with 1/4 inch less brim.
After receiving Art's reply I asked myself, self what are we going to do with the Federation? Well I took a compass, scribed a 1/4 inch line on the brim all the way around took scissors and cut the brim, then smoothed the edge with some sandpaper. Some of you might consider cutting down a brand new hat crazy, and you might be right but here it is. Bob.
435824120_f764d1913c.jpg

Duck

Practically Family
Great looking hat, Bob. I need a brown hat, so I think I will have to get a Federation ordered.

SinatraStyle

A-List Customer
cooncatbob, you have inspired me

I have been looking at Federations for quite some time. Akubra seems to make a great hat and I have yet to hear complaints about quality or service. I love the look of the Federations, but my hesitation has always been with the dimensions...the hat would be HUGE on me.

However, after seeing your before and after photos I am now seriously considering purchasing a Federation and trimming the brim. The crown is still a bit high for me, but I think I could bash it down.

Thanks for the motivation...and Nice Hat!

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
cooncatbob said:
I think I voided the warranty. lol After wearing the hat most of the day I came to believe that It had too much brim for my rather narrow Face. The brim on this hat is the same as the Hoosier that Art is making for me. So I e-mailed Art a picture of me wearing the Federation and another with me wearing a 2 inch Stetson. I voiced my concern about the brim and what did he think. He conquered and will make my Hoosier with 1/4 inch less brim.
After receiving Art's reply I asked myself, self what are we going to do with the Federation? Well I took a compass, scribed a 1/4 inch line on the brim all the way around took scissors and cut the brim, then smoothed the edge with some sandpaper. Some of you might consider cutting down a brand new hat crazy, and you might be right but here it is. Bob.
435824120_f764d1913c.jpg

Bob, I was gunna do this with my own one:
MCRMarch06019.jpg

How did you make the line with a compass - I do not understand. [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh]

aliados

One of the Regulars
Not-Bogart13 said:
Great choice, Bob. The felt will soften as it ages. Playing with it and wearing it in all types of weather will really help. When the crown softens up from a few rains, it will probably be more willing to take the diamond crease. Enjoy.
NB

I literally dunked the crown of mine into a sink full of warm water -- took awhile to soften up (MAN, that felt is dense!), but I did get a diamond into it . . .

cooncatbob

Practically Family
Mr. 'H' said:
Bob, I was gunna do this with my own one:

How did you make the line with a compass - I do not understand. [huh] [huh] [huh] [huh]

The pointer rides on the edge of the brim and the pencil or lead marks the line, you need a real sharp point on your lead so it actually scratches a line in the felt, it's hard to see a pencil line on a grey hat. Bob
436885661_20b3dd5217.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe