Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My Indiana Jones Jacket from Wested

mb1101

New in Town
Here are some image of my Wested Indiana Jones Jacket:
DSC00666.jpg
DSC00665.jpg
DSC00667.jpg
DSC00677.jpg
DSC00670.jpg

cptjeff

Practically Family
Nice, but it doesn't look like an indy jacket yet. Jump out of a car a few times, roll down a mountain...

But it seems to fit well, and it looks like it's a quality jacket.

cptjeff

Practically Family
bruce wayne said:
It looks a little short in the body. What kind of leather did you request?
Thanx!!!
Charlie
Indy's jackets are actually pretty short- he just wears high waisted trousers. The length of this looks right to me.

Edward

Bartender
Hankh said:
Have you told your parents you'r gay already?

The more constructive approach would be to report an obvious spammer to the mods. There is no point attempting to engage them in dialogue - whether with implicitly homophobic comments or otherwise. :)

Hankh

Familiar Face
Edward said:
The more constructive approach would be to report an obvious spammer to the mods. There is no point attempting to engage them in dialogue - whether with implicitly homophobic comments or otherwise. :)

Yes, you're right. I'm really sorry.
Some of my best friends are gay.
Working in a masculine environment my comment was a lousy slip of the tongue.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
No offense meant Hankh, but there are some "masculine environments" here in the US where just talking with a Dutch accent would get you some not very nice comments - anywhere from the meaningless "Eurofag" to snickering about fingers in dikes and such.

Please note: That's dikes. With an i.

Back to the jacket. Is that black, or just a very dark seal? It's a great color.

Wonder what it'd look like with a beltback?

Hankh

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
No offense meant Hankh, but there are some "masculine environments" here in the US where just talking with a Dutch accent would get you some not very nice comments - anywhere from the meaningless "Eurofag" to snickering about fingers in dikes and such.

Please note: That's dikes. With an i.

No offense taken Fletch.:eusa_doh:
My fingers were faster than my mind.
Last time I visited Houston Texas I was accused of having a cheesy Southern accent.
Do you know what they call a Quarter Pounder with cheese in the NL.?
;)

Edward

Bartender
I know they don't call it a quarterpounder - they have the metric system there, they wouldn't know what the flipsy-doodle a quarter pounder is.... ;)

fletch, I'd hazard a guess that it's the dark seal - the Westeds I've seen, at least the non-distressed variants, are very dark in the seal finish - in a dim light, against navy or other non-black dark hue they could easily pass for black.

ron521

One of the Regulars
I'd certainly wear that! Indy's jacket started out nice and shiney as well.

Here's a question to consider...Do you think the character of Indiana Jones was supposed to be considered to be wearing the same jacket in all the movies, or did he keep wearing them out and replacing them. (I know that the studio had quite a few used for actual shooting of different scenes, and for the different films as well).

Edward

Bartender
ron521 said:
I'd certainly wear that! Indy's jacket started out nice and shiney as well.

Here's a question to consider...Do you think the character of Indiana Jones was supposed to be considered to be wearing the same jacket in all the movies, or did he keep wearing them out and replacing them. (I know that the studio had quite a few used for actual shooting of different scenes, and for the different films as well).

Now, it's been a while, so don't take this as gospel, but.... as I recall, in Raiders, the jacket and hat get dumped in the Nazi submarine base when he puts on the uniform disguise. (In fact, most of the equipment that became iconic when the film proved a hit was treated as being very disposable in that first film). Then along comes Temple, by which point Jones is an icon and has to be seen in the 'uniform'. That film being set in 1935, of course, it seems to me entirely acceptable that this was the same jacket (he is seen wearing both jacket and hat in the closing scene of the film) carried on into advetures in 1936, and Raiders. To get really anal, the longer length (I think an inch or so?) of the jacket in Temple might be explained by the fact that it shrunk with prolonged, hard use and exposure to extremes of humidity and heat.... The shirt, of course, would have been new by Raiders - it gets very shredded in Temple, and is missing a sleeve by the climactic scene on the rope bridge. Fast forward to 1938, time of Crusade, and we see Indy in a new hat and jacket (new since 1936, at least; and this also 'explains' differences in the jacket - collar size, larger front pockets, studs on the storm flap....). Whether we are to believe that Indy was still wearing the same jacket in 1957 (Crystal Skull), well.... it's not entirely inconceivable that Dr Jones would not only be able to afford but also would choose to purchase a hat and jacket of a sufficient quality to remain serviceable for over two decades. On the other hand, if he had a habit of losing these items (as per the events of 1936 / Raiders), would he want to go to any great expense in their purchase, or prefer cheaper, 'disposable' options?

(Is that geeky enough for ya?? lol )

Doug C

Practically Family
I believe it's a total myth that Indy's jacket was shorter in Raiders... or longer in Temple (how ever you look at it). I bought that too, when I first became interested in Indy's jacket (long time ago). But came to my own conclusion after a few years of buying these jackets and researching pictures. Someone here mentioned that Indy's jacket was short but doesn't look so because his trousers were high waisted.. that just ain't so IMHO, I've seen (and may still have saved somewhere) pictures of Ford without the costume shirt on (fighting in the temple under a spell) and the pants are clearly below his belly button. It's obvious in countless other scenes too. I highly doubt that the costumers ever went for a high waisted look with him, concept drawings didn't even reflect a highwaisted look. It was the 80s, Ford even wore a modern hair cut. Also, to me it's always hard to keep high waisted trousers sitting high while being the least bit active, maybe that's just me though. The perfect length for an Indy jacket, again IMHO is just slightly shorter waist than the length of the sleeves, almost the same length when layed flat or looking at it straight on. No offense ment to the owner of the above jacket of course, but I think it's a little too short in the body length.. I can't tell you how many Indy jackets I bought that were too short and eventually sold them to buy others. I'm not finished buying them either, because I haven't been able to get past all the smooth looking leather that these jackets are reproduced in. The good stuff is expensive though, so in time I'll get another one but it will not be short or smooth. Of course if you prefer a short look to your Indy jacket, then that is definately all that matters. The bottom line is how it feels to you, if you don't get that nagging feeling - then it's right!
Doug C

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Edward said:
Now, it's been a while, so don't take this as gospel, but.... as I recall, in Raiders, the jacket and hat get dumped in the Nazi submarine base when he puts on the uniform disguise. (In fact, most of the equipment that became iconic when the film proved a hit was treated as being very disposable in that first film).

I dont think the jacket and hat got dumped in the Nazi sub base. I believe he jumped off the freighter and swam to the sub without them. I like to think that they were left on the freighter and then retrieved at some point afterward.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth