Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My first Ebay hat!

LEUII

One of the Regulars
I don't think so. Those pictures right above are from ads from that time when the hats were new. Also, in photographs and movies from the period one can spot the same characteristic.

Edward

Bartender
Makes sense to me. Trying to do it with a vintage hat now would then be like those guys who spend two fortunes on a vintage Stratocaster and then wonder why a two year old reissue sounds closer to the '64 Hendrix played in '66 than an original '64...

That Disney is beautiful. I found that auction and wanted it bad, but it was a size too small and I wouldn't want to risk ruining such a beautiful hat by stretching it. Nice score. I really enjoyed reading that auction too - I'll be keeping an eye out for that seller again.

LEUII

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
You don't think what?

My suggestion was that when the hat was new in 1945, say, it would form such imperfect creases etc, but now - as aged felt - it can't do it.

bk

Oh, I misunderstood your comment. Mea Culpa.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Baron, your premise appears sound to me. What I'm amazed at is that I made such a big issue of it! I guess that night I was posting some sort of demon was driving me to strain at a gnat. I imagine there are a few basic factors, perhaps one primary one, age of felt, and then it occurs to me that if that look was indemic to the hats of that era, it must have been acceptable to hat wearers...but if so, would it be acceptable now. Assuming of course, that I'm seeing something that is really there...or not there.

dean

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Way to go...

You're gonna love your Disney.
I had 2 bids in on this hat as well....I have a Disney20 and I absolutely love it, the only reason I didn't snag this one is because the colors were too similar, otherwise I might've kept on bidding....they truly are great hats.
Nice find....in the mean time, I'll just keep an eye out for another one, in a different hue. ;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
And here it is!

I just got it today, and I must say I'm VERY pleased. It was well packed. When I took it out I saw it had a somewhat asymmetrical tilt to the brim. After playing around with it a little here at home, and adding a little shimming in the form of a paper napkin, I decided to try that slanted bash that was mentioned in another thread. The Johnny Depp look. So here I am, in the typical holding-the-camera-at-arm's-length-to-get-the-shot pose, looking a little grim.
Tinhat004.jpg

One question. The pix on Ebay showed the bow from the side, not a full view. This is what the bow actually looks like. Am I wrong, or is this bow missing something? Looks like one extra layer of bow is needed. Any suggestions on how to complete it? The ribbon width is 1 7/8 inches. I'm not complaining, even tho the image was maybe wee bit deceptive.
Tinhat005.jpg

I'll be sporting my new treasure on the subway tomorrow, maybe not with an old tie, since it will be in the 80's again, but I'll be wearing the hat for sure.
BTW, the upper image shows the color much more accurately, tho it's still a little less chocolate brown than it that shot.
And heres how the bash seems to want to go, when left to its own devices. The new Spartan radio seems to make a nice backdrop.
Tinhat.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
So that's how it's done. I wasn't sure. I'm somewhat relieved.
So, am I as cool as anticipated? I feel very cool, myself, that's the important thing, isn't it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust