Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

My dad recently bought me a 641 for my birthday, unbeknownst to me but I'm upset about the collar tab

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheBigTimeBecks

Familiar Face
The jacket is nicely broken in from the previous wearer, and everything looks good to me, except for the collar tab.

The waves/ripples were something I noticed after trying on the jacket and not sure how to make it less rippled. Is there any conditioner safe for steerhide to make the collar tab flat/normal?

My dad ordered this somewhere online and should have told him I recently bought a similar genuine leather jacket.

Attachments

• IMG_20240530_144711663.jpg
    IMG_20240530_144711663.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 210

cbez

One Too Many
What waves/ripples? It looks fine. It's probably much better quality than your 'genuine leather'

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
Don’t see anything wrong with the “rippling” - those are just signs of normal use. You’re seeing them show up on the latch vs other parts of the jacket as the leather is probably thinner for flexibility.

If that bothers you, you should probably avoid this style.

Last edited:

TheBigTimeBecks

Familiar Face
You need to find better things to get upset at, and thank your dad for a very nice present.
I will thank him again. I'll remind him to maybe look at the pictures more carefully in the future for anything he buys online. Not just my stuff but in general.

TheBigTimeBecks

Familiar Face
Don’t see anything wrong with the “rippling” - those are just signs of normal use. You’re seeing them show up on the latch vs other parts of the jacket as the leather is probably thinner for flexibility.

If that bothers you, you should probably avoid this style.
I love this style! Sadly the previous owner didn't care for it that much and likely never applied conditioner on latch, to prevent it from rippling.

bigmanbigtruck

One of the Regulars
I love this style! Sadly the previous owner didn't care for it that much and likely never applied conditioner on latch, to prevent it from rippling.
I'm not sure why you're so confident that conditioning the latch would have avoided the rippling. They could have dumped it in a bucket full of conditioner, but you'd still end up with the same look.

TLW '90

Practically Family
My Sly & Co jacket has a 100% genuine leather listed as the material
In case you didn't know , the term " Genuine leather " is usually found on low quality goods, when it is actually true leather it's the cheapest leather possible and the least amount of it possible.
Sadly it's often not even actually leather when it comes to wallets watch straps and belts, it's often a manmade material created from ground up leather scraps.
Like that sandwich cracker filling that's " made with real cheese ".
Seeing " genuine leather " on a product is typically a sign of lower quality that should be avoided, and Sly & Co jackets are inexpensive enough that they're probably made in China or Pakistan which is typically another bad sign.

I hope you don't feel insulted or anything, this is just the reality of your " Genuine leather " jacket.
Most people start out with a cheap ( $300 and under is cheap ) leather jacket from a Shop in the Mall and that is essentially what you have with the Sly & Co, that doesn't mean you shouldn't wear it or feel ashamed of it or anything but the Schott you received as a birthday gift from your father is definitely a higher quality jacket.

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars
In case you didn't know , the term " Genuine leather " is usually found on low quality goods, when it is actually true leather it's the cheapest leather possible and the least amount of it possible.
Sadly it's often not even actually leather when it comes to wallets watch straps and belts, it's often a manmade material created from ground up leather scraps.
Like that sandwich cracker filling that's " made with real cheese ".
Seeing " genuine leather " on a product is typically a sign of lower quality that should be avoided, and Sly & Co jackets are inexpensive enough that they're probably made in China or Pakistan which is typically another bad sign.

I hope you don't feel insulted or anything, this is just the reality of your " Genuine leather " jacket.
Most people start out with a cheap ( $300 and under is cheap ) leather jacket from a Shop in the Mall and that is essentially what you have with the Sly & Co, that doesn't mean you shouldn't wear it or feel ashamed of it or anything but the Schott you received as a birthday gift from your father is definitely a higher quality jacket.
Thedi uses that term
IMG_3060.png

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

As the post you're quoting says, it's usually and typically the case, not always.

Likewise you'll see "genuine horsehide" or "genuine cowhide" on some vintage jackets of high quality. But the language shifted away from that relatively early on.

Technically all the jackets we like here are "genuine" leather, but it's a bit like when food products say "natural flavors"; reprocessed raw materials aren't quite the same thing.

Aloysius

Mostly though it seems quite dickish that the guy's dad got him the exact jacket he had made a thread about wanting, the jacket itself seems to be in excellent condition, and yet he seems pissed at his dad because it exhibits the characteristics of real leather which his natural pleather does not.

Observe

One Too Many
Mostly though it seems quite dickish that the guy's dad got him the exact jacket he had made a thread about wanting, the jacket itself seems to be in excellent condition, and yet he seems pissed at his dad because it exhibits the characteristics of real leather which his natural pleather does not.
I hope OP comes around and gets over the texture of the leather on the collar. Poor dad trying to do a solid and this is the outcome?

Aloysius

I hope OP comes around and gets over the texture of the leather on the collar. Poor dad trying to do a solid and this is the outcome?

We were all genuinely happy for this guy when he got his fashion jacket; jacket nerdery isn't for everyone after all.

But now that he's changed it to being an asshole to his dad for buying him a great gift (so much so that he now wants to monitor his dad's shopping choices in general) I don't know what to say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gareth