Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Musician's hats

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hi there, I was hoping someone could tell me what hat this is that Neil's wearing? I've seen him wear it before and really like it.

EDIT:
Hmmm, i can't figure out why the pictures aren't showing up.

Here are direct links:

Were you at the show last night? Fantastic performances...

Picker

One of the Regulars
Like most of us, Neil has worn many different hats over the years, and I have no idea what they are. I bought my first fedora in 1985 (a cheap $15 job at Macy's) after seeing Neil Young on Austin City Limits. He was wearing a black fedora with an International Harvesters bandana around it. I couldn't find a photo of that one, but below is Neil from around the same era.
neilyoung.jpg

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
That's interesting to know. That's a real piece of History there!

This from an article about Neil Young's guitars:

Martin D-28. Nicknamed "Hank" after its previous owner, Hank Williams. Hank Williams, Jr., had traded it for some shotguns; it went through a succession of other owners until it was located by Young's longtime friend Grant Boatwright. The guitar was purchased by Young from Tut Taylor. Young has toured with it for over 30 years. A story about the guitar and the song it inspired, "This Old Guitar," can be seen about 50 minutes into the film Neil Young: Heart of Gold. It is Young's primary guitar for Prairie Wind.

Here's a better photo. Sad to think that Hank Jr. would have traded his dad's Martin for shotguns. Maybe Hank Jr. doesn't place much value in vintage musical instruments on which timeless, classic, county songs were written. But are y'all ready for some football?

Yes, the buckle on Neil's hat is on the wrong side. This bothered me so much I had to watch Prairie Wind twice. The first time I agonized so much over his misplaced hat band buckle that I missed half his songs.

site_28_rand_262719978_neil_young_maxed-1.jpg

AF

Last edited:

FredG

New in Town
I had the luck to get a hold of some great tickets to a sporting event where Slash played the National Anthem.
Known for his top hat and unique mane. His seats were behind mine and thought it noteworthy that he had a hat carrying case that matched his guitar case.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Classic hats of "classsic muscians!"

Classic musicians and hats:

Robert Johnson (in 1 of the 2 photos of him):

RobertJohson.png

Blind Willie McTell:

1023660.jpg

Rev.Gary Davis:

GaryDavislogo.jpg

Blind Boy Fuller:

200px-Blind_Boy_Fuller.jpg

Skip James:

images

The above muscians I was thinking of last evening and this morning as I was practising music of theirs I am intending to play this early afternoon at a local cofee shop . My guitar buddy and I play the 20-40's blues/show tunes together. When I am working thru the nuances of the music I often think of their life situations and influences. I often have seen pics of them in their hats and their finest suits. Their hats do not help me "channel their music, " but I sure appreciate their style!

Back to practise, Eric -

The top guy is Eric Bibb. He wears some nice hats, usually wider brim felts and straws. I really like his music, kind of a mix of folk and blues, very uplifting. That hat almost looks like a CD or OR with a flat brim.

Keb Mo tends to wear stingier brim hats. His music is a little more blues oriented.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Hatohphile; I would humbly submit Guy Davis to your "current guy list" above. I have seen him wear some grand lids when he is out and playing.

Davis_with_guitardarker.jpg

Do tell - I do not wish to suggest that the acoustic blues are only played by guys. Who can miss the frenzied, bold, passionate playing of Rory Block. I did scramble to find her in a hat. I have seen a hat of hers in her dressing room, but never on her head.

block-r-3.jpg

Fingers sore from practice this morning. No illusions of playing/performing like the above artists, Eric -

Last edited:

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Paul Simonon, most famously of The Clash, but also Havana 3 A.M., The Good, The Bad, and The Queen, as well as Gorillaz, recently spent some time volunteering with Greenpeace, and they put together a video, he's wearing a stingy Milan that he seems to favor these days over the wide brims he used to wear:
[video=youtube;Fjw2AOivjkk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjw2AOivjkk[/video]
screen-capture-1.png

disneyrollergirl_paul_simonon.jpg

The-Clash-EpicLegacy-Records.jpg

Last edited:

m0nk

One Too Many
Some of my favorite hat-wearing musicians: Giacomo Puccini, Erik Satie, Les Claypool.
lesclaypool1.jpg

found from google searches.
I was actually going to mention Claypool but someone beat me to it... He definitely wears some interesting hats; mostly REALLY worn out ones, but in some pics he does seem to have a rather nice looking lid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe