Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Moleskine Notebooks; Have One?

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Hemingway Jones said:
That's a reoccurring theme and ironic that the old standby of a notebook and pen is much more convenient and easier than a PDA. I agree entirely.

It just goes back to the thought that just because something is old doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't that valid.

Thanks,

Jon

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
Do you see the recent resurgence in popularity of the moleskin as a backlash to all the super techy; ipod, pda, cell phone life style that has become so common place now. It really harkens back to a simpler time when all you needed was a notebook and pen.

The Rock carries a moleskin in “Rundown”, as does the Nick Cage character in “National Treasure”.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Serial Hero said:
Do you see the recent resurgence in popularity of the moleskin as a backlash to all the super techy; ipod, pda, cell phone life style that has become so common place now. It really harkens back to a simpler time when all you needed was a notebook and pen.

The Rock carries a moleskin in “Rundown”, as does the Nick Cage character in “National Treasure”.
I can see that and I agree. One of the reasons I like things that are vintage, be it a Moleskin notebook, a fountain pen, a leather journal is because they have a certain romance based on their histories.
-Though there are modern things I would not be without, like my iPod.
As for the Moleskin; you don't have to write in a special language, or with a little stylus, and you don't have to wait for it to boot up.

Plus, someday someone will find it and it will be rich with your handwriting.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hemingway Jones said:
I can see that and I agree. One of the reasons I like things that are vintage, be it a Moleskin notebook, a fountain pen, a leather journal is because they have a certain romance based on their histories.
-Though there are modern things I would not be without, like my iPod.
As for the Moleskin; you don't have to write in a special language, or with a little stylus, and you don't have to wait for it to boot up.

Plus, someday someone will find it and it will be rich with your handwriting.

Absolutely correct my friend. I don't have a Palm or Blackberry. Writing in my little black book is much for tactile, romantic and, I think, memorable. And one day my grandkids can read them and understand where their own insanity came from. :)

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
I like that little card they put in them telling about how all the early twentieth century writers and artists would stock up and carry them on their adventures. I don’t know if it’s true or not, but it does add a romantic feel to these little books.

And one day my grandkids can read them and understand where their own insanity came from.
Remember that these can be used as evidence against you when they send you off to the funny farm. :p

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i was given a moleskin plain note/sketchbook as a gift last year. trouble is i draw on loose paper so if the drawing is bad i can throw it away. i feel nervous drawing in a beautifully bound book. and it's too good to use as a notebook. so i haven't used it.

Serial Hero

A-List Customer
herringbonekid said:
i was given a moleskin plain note/sketchbook as a gift last year. trouble is i draw on loose paper so if the drawing is bad i can throw it away. i feel nervous drawing in a beautifully bound book. and it's too good to use as a notebook. so i haven't used it.
You need to stop thinking like that. All artists, me included, have sketchbook after sketchbook full of drawings that should never see the light of day. But that's how you improve your skills. If you are truly interested in being an artist you should carry a sketchbook with you where every you go, and draw in it as much as possible.

My favorite type of sketchbook to draw in is the hard cover 8 1/2 x 11 ones

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0823056341&itm=1

Most comic book artists (and I’m sure others as well) will tell you to fill up at least one of these a month (that's front and back of each page). Who cares if the drawing doesn’t looks good, just move on to the next one.

I know a guy who even takes his to the theater so he can sit and draw before the movie starts.

Having these types of sketchbooks lets you look back and see how much you’ve improved over the years. You can also get a good laugh at how bad you used to be.

Phil

A-List Customer
Yeah, I write music in my Moleskine, and there are some melodies that I want to tear out and burn. But like Serial Hero said, it's good to have to see your pregress. And who knows, mabey one day you'll revisit an old sketch that was done bad, and then redo it better in another book.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
i've just developed my own system: i sketch on A4 white photocopy paper then when it gets about 300 pages deep i get it spiral bound. i've got lots of these. they're not all wonderful drawings. when i say bad i mean REALLY bad. those get binned.

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
I think I have the same problem with using such nice and expensive (for me at least) notebooks for random scribbling and 'practical' notes.

Perhaps if I was writing a bit more artsy stuff then I currently am.....

For now I stick with 2 dollar composition notebooks, equally as old school and not as pricey if I hate the drivel I wrote.

Caledonia

Practically Family
My husband uses them all the time, particularly the smaller version with the pocket at the back - for work, poetry, general wallet purposes, and if he could draw he would (just got him a new supply for his birthday, including his own personal diary, but don't let on just yet. Ssshhhhhh). I love them, but I'm not a notebook person. If I was I would.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Caledonia said:
My husband uses them all the time, particularly the smaller version with the pocket at the back - for work, poetry, general wallet purposes, and if he could draw he would (just got him a new supply for his birthday, including his own personal diary, but don't let on just yet. Ssshhhhhh). I love them, but I'm not a notebook person. If I was I would.

Here's the gig. My family just doesn't understand that I don't need anything too elaborate or fancy for my birthday (Which is coming up...) and Christmas. I'm one of those people that would just rather get a nice pen that wasn't too fat in my pocket and a Moleskin. They make great presents. :) Gee, I wish my family read this, oh well.

G. Fink-Nottle

One of the Regulars
Just bought my first blank Moleskine reporter's notebook. It looks like it's going to be fun to write in.

I also picked up a few Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens. They were cheap ($3) so I won't cry if I lose one.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
Senator Jack said:
All I want for Christmas is booze. I rarely get it.:eek:fftopic:

Regards,

Senator Jack

Whenever I get booze for Christmas it's always the cheap s##t. ;) I know we're :eek:fftopic: but this is fun. We don't have Root to keep us in line.

Jon

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
G. Fink-Nottle said:
Just bought my first blank Moleskine reporter's notebook. It looks like it's going to be fun to write in.

I also picked up a few Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens. They were cheap ($3) so I won't cry if I lose one.
I like the reporter's Moleskins; you can flip them open.
I also used to write with a Varsity before I bought the Phileas, which is a slight upgrade. The Varsity is a great pen.

Their website has a lot of interesting information, including photos of historic notebooks, what people are currently doing with them with photos, and mentions of them in film.

mikepara

Practically Family
Haha I was going ...

...to say I'm old fashioned!
I still use a filofax for notes etc on a regular basis.

maybe about time I got even more old fashioned and tried a Moleskin notebook.

Never kept a journal or diary but it seems popular.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dickiedust