Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mold spots?

thebruin

New in Town
Hi guys,

I just received my brand new Todd Snyder Dylan jacket (in olive lambskin), and upon delivery I found these black dots on the collar. Are those mold spots? Thinking about returning the jackets because of it
1000034528.jpg
1000034527.jpg

It's not just mold: This is black rot septicemic mold that appears on leather that still hasn't been fully tanned and still has organic properties. It is the deadliest type of mold that among other things, contains bubonic plague. Return the jacket immediately and exchange it for a textile one.

thebruin

New in Town
It's not just mold: This is black rot septicemic mold that appears on leather that still hasn't been fully tanned and still has organic properties. It is the deadliest type of mold that among other things, contains bubonic plague. Return the jacket immediately and exchange it for a textile one.
Lol I almost bought that for a second

Lol I almost bought that for a second

For real now, the dots aren't mold. They're a sign your jacket is made of a good leather, by a good maker.

The collar is one of the parts of the jacket that has to be made with two layers of leather pressed together so to avoid it being stiffer than the rest of the jacket, good makers usually use softer, thinner leather for the back (hidden) side, which usually comes from around the neck or belly of the animal, where the stretch & bite marks are much more prominent. This is what these spots are.
https://theleatherguy.org/blogs/leather-101/whats-on-my-leather-lets-talk-about-natural-markings
I know it isn't very pretty but it is not a basis for a return as this must be expected on any garment made from high-quality, full-grain leather.

Your jacket is beautiful, by the way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Insinity