Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Modern Whippet...

Spellflower

Practically Family
Any new impressions of this hat? I love my vintage Whippet, but there are times I don't want to risk messing it up. Such as 80 degree days when I'm bound to sweat through and stain the ribbon. I wouldn't cry so much over a new one.

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Pompidou said:
There was a computer error and my hat was out of stock. I've got to wait 3-3.5 weeks now. I'll get over it.

Next day edit: There was a double computer error. My hat came in today. They only thought it wasn't shipped. I'm wearing it now. Will take pics this weekend. I love it. The only gripe, and I always have one, is it was pictured with a feather and didn't come with one. The brim was all up like a pork pie when I got it, but it snapped down in front easy enough. This is by far my highest quality hat so far. My real head size is 7 3/4 apparently, though I can wear 7.5 with only a minor red mark. I suspect my true size is something in between the two. This one isn't quite snug, and the prior is just a midge too tight. I like both. I might keep this one featherless. It looks too rugged for a feather.

I bought a Stetson Fargo last year on sale from Henry the Hatter, and not only did it come with a feather, but when I turned out the sweatband there was a spare feather in the back - turn yours out and you might find one hidden in there. Sort of a Fedora easter egg....

T Rick

Practically Family
Modern Whippet?

I see Stetson makes a hat called a Whippet still. I know Stetson's quality is thought to be a shadow of it's former self, but has anyone here tried these new Whippets and compared them to the vintage models? At about half the price of the vintage hat, are they to be considered as a reasonable option to achieve a similar look? Or are they so dissimilar from the originals as to be unrecognizable as "the same hat"?

jbucklin

Practically Family
I just bought one two days ago in the Tawny color and love this hat. I had procrastinated in purchasing one due to the negative opinions here on the FL. I have never seen a vintage one to compare it to but it looks identical to the ones in the old ads I've seen.

Photo231.jpg

T Rick

Practically Family
I just bought one two days ago in the Tawny color and love this hat. I had procrastinated in purchasing one due to the negative opinions here on the FL. I have never seen a vintage one to compare it to but it looks identical to the ones in the old ads I've seen.

Photo231.jpg

Fine looking hat Sir, thanks for the pic. I think I may give one of these a whirl too.

Dan, thanks for the link. Sounds like that Member was pleased with his overall too. Of course, I expect this to be just a gateway "drug" to the higher dollar vintages... :eeek:

fmw

One Too Many
My fur felt stetsons are all western style but my personal opinion is that the ones I've bought recently are pretty comparable to those I bought 30 or 40 years ago. I think they still make perfectly fine brand new hats today. Go for it and enjoy it.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Looks like the new Whippets are priced at about $169 or so and come in caribou (gray), mink (Looks like a darker brown), tawny (sort of a reddish brown), and black. I wonder what the wait time is if you want one other than the tawny color? Also, I wonder if it still says Whippet in the liner like it did in the old days?

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
Looks like the new Whippets are priced at about $169 or so and come in caribou (gray), mink (Looks like a darker brown), tawny (sort of a reddish brown), and black. I wonder what the wait time is if you want one other than the tawny color? Also, I wonder if it still says Whippet in the liner like it did in the old days?
I'll let you know I have to stop in to Delmonico's this week and get a stingy brim for my daughter for Christmas. Ya she has the hat bug too.

Jeff

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'll let you know I have to stop in to Delmonico's this week and get a stingy brim for my daughter for Christmas. Ya she has the hat bug too.

Jeff

Be sure and try on the Borsalino beaver "ernesto" there if they have one. I bought one of those and would be interested to know how you like them.

SteveAS

Practically Family
Or are they so dissimilar from the originals as to be unrecognizable as "the same hat"?

I had one for a while, which I sold because I got the vintage hat bug. They are similar to old Whippets in that they have wide-ish (2-3/8") bound brims. They are different in that the crown is shorter, more tapered, and factory-formed into a teardrop "bash."

I wonder if it still says Whippet in the liner like it did in the old days?

No, mine didn't say Whippet in the liner.

Rodkins

Call Me a Cab
I had one for a while, which I sold because I got the vintage hat bug. They are similar to old Whippets in that they have wide-ish (2-3/8") bound brims. They are different in that the crown is shorter, more tapered, and factory-formed into a teardrop "bash."

No, mine didn't say Whippet in the liner.
How would you describe the weight of the felt as compared to the original whippets?

fmw

One Too Many
I think some degree modern felt hats may be a bit stiffer than those of years gone by. One of the reasons could be changes in the types of sizing used. It could be the thickness of the material but I'd take a second look at sizing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld