Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Missing Members

RedPop4

One Too Many
MK said:
Depends on situation. Some are for a short time, some we are not in a hurry to return, and some are written in stone.

As for missing members, I wonder sometimes too. On occasion I will e-mail someone. If they respond, they say they are just busy with this or that.

Some are even friends I used to break bread with. Those of you who were here in the beginning will remember Rundquist, Chammaro, Sergei and Pretty Big Guy. They used to be here all the time.

This joint is for people's enjoyment. If they no longer get joy here or find something that meets their needs better or simply get too busy...they pull up stakes.

For every one that goes out the door, twenty more come in.
We face the same problem over at CW. The forum has been in existence for six years, now, and there are many good people from the early days who no longer post. Some FOGs there get very upset by this and tell us (moderators and administrators) that it's our fault all these people no longer visit and post. Some blame the newbies to the site, some say it's a "cliquish nature, " some say it's a mods' power trip.

Many simply don't want to acknowledge the fact that, while some of all that may be true, MOST of it is that interests change, or people's time for online forums may be limited. That people may cut out online forum participation in response to their real-world life and its demands, often gets stated, but not often believed.

People move on.

I wish that many of the old guys that made the forum great when I joined were still around. But we're all adults, and we make adult decisions. I, for one, am not going to go around pestering people to come back and rejoin. That's their decision and I'm going to respect that.I'm also not going to make myself look like a whiny little brat chasing people all over the place.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Mr_Misanthropy said:
*Runs in panting*

I'm here!! I promise!! I'm still around! As Mike mentioned, I've been in the process of moving into a new apartment, I've been here about a month now, and my internet is all hooked up and set to go, so, no more "excuses", I'll be around! I've also gotten a new job, and am having to get adjusted to some financial changes, which don't leave much room for eBay expenditures. It's also too darn hot to wear any of my hats, I really need a Panama.

Anyway, I came across this thread just today and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy to know I am missed!! Don't worry everyone, I've just been "lurking"! It'll take quite a bit to get rid of me.

Well, that worked out well for everyone. Welcome back. Now, what about this letter you wrote to the mean bar people?

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I belong to a number of forums that I visit only when I need technical information related to the forum.

In other cases, I hang out there until I feel that I've gained a certain level of knowledge from the collective wisdom, then only drop in occasionally.

Finally, there are fora that have worn thin on me, either because their web-admins behave in ways I disagree with, or the discussion simply becomes repetitive.

I don't blame anyone who drops in, hangs around for a while, gets what they need, and leaves. That's the Internet for you. However, I do hope they conduct themselves well and contribute things of value while they're present.

We're beginning to have this collective conciousness in the forum. I was just thinking the same thing.

I know I shouldn't be inquisitive, but I do wonder about all these suspensions. Not so much as to why they're suspended but the psychology involved that leads to their being suspended. From what I read from 'Fabulous Robert', I gather he was duped by a coworker. Seems legit. Maybe it wasn't. I can't understand how anyone could stumble upon this forum and believe it acceptable to post questionable material - unless one is quite insane. And Joe BagofDonuts? He got 86'ed mightly quickly, didn't he? (Sorry, MK, if this is off-limits, but I really do find it fascinating.;) )

Hey, I got an idea. Let's take up a sort of dead pool on who's going to go next. lol

Regards,

Senator Jack

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Senator Jack said:
We're beginning to have this collective conciousness in the forum. I was just thinking the same thing.

I know I shouldn't be inquisitive, but I do wonder about all these suspensions. Not so much as to why they're suspended but the psychology involved that leads to their being suspended. From what I read from 'Fabulous Robert', I gather he was duped by a coworker. Seems legit. Maybe it wasn't. I can't understand how anyone could stumble upon this forum and believe it acceptable to post questionable material - unless one is quite insane. And Joe BagofDonuts? He got 86'ed mightly quickly, didn't he? (Sorry, MK, if this is off-limits, but I really do find it fascinating.;) )

Hey, I got an idea. Let's take up a sort of dead pool on who's going to go next. lol

Regards,

Senator Jack

I was really only curious about the Fedora Discrimination outcome - and I still don't have any answers - which led me to the conclusion that Mr. M. had scarpered, which he had not, and then led me to muse about that nutsy "Fabulous" guy.

Something someone posted in one of the threads he contributed to led me to believe that Joebagofdonuts was Biltmore Bob doing a George Romero. I think it might have been Zohar, but I don't know.
night-of-the-living-dead-me-dvd-ima.jpg
I try not to pay to much attention to the agro.

And as to all this "busy", I've heard tell of, what is "busy"? And what other interests might there possibly be outside of HATS? I'm sorry, I feel there are no excuses.

Miss Dottie

Practically Family
jake_fink said:
SEE!!! I think that's why ebay prices balloon occassionally and all of a sudden. Whenever someone enthusiatically embraces all things FL they blow a cog and, as you say, BUY BUY BUY.

Ebay should be paying this place a finder's fee.

Sadly, I fear that is me right now. I have bids on five items right now! Oh, and I was doing so well with not buying stuff from eBay...

Thank goodness I just got a raise!

ortega76

Practically Family
I have to admit that I'm something of an exile from another retro-themed board. When a group of people leave and are replaced by new members, topic discussions often shift. When those topics aren't interesting to you anymore, you find a place where you do enjoy spending time.

RedPop4

One Too Many
ortega76 said:
I have to admit that I'm something of an exile from another retro-themed board. When a group of people leave and are replaced by new members, topic discussions often shift. When those topics aren't interesting to you anymore, you find a place where you do enjoy spending time.
This is very true, as well.

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
I had left for awhile due to my Father being real sick and his eventual passing. Also I was in the process of furnishing my new home which was built in 1950 and planning and having my wedding. Got married on 2nd September 2006. As you can see, I have been real busy, but I am back for awhile. I missed everyone.

Gray Ghost

matei

One Too Many
Regarding suspensions... I think that some people are unable to resist acting like eejits online, they feel they can hide behind their online persona. They forget that they are dealing with real people.

I make it a point to check into the aul Lounge on a daily basis, but lately things in the real world have been a bit crazy and I haven't posted as often as I'd like.

I'd better brush up on FL current events, as the Queen Mary event is quickly approaching! :)

Time ain't on my side, no it ain't.

Time is the critical element for me. I have a bunch of it right now as I search for another job. While I was working, I had very little time and it made it hard to get in the conversation of the threads. Now for me there are times in which i will really take some time to add to the thread and if pressed for time I will simply not engage rather than be glib all the time.

Th FL is a great forum and deserves the time, so i have to learn to budget my time and make the time appropriately.

Go ahead and time me!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld