Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mary Ann/What Next?

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Mary Ann Caught With Mary Jane

If you will recall, Bob "Gilligan" Denver got busted for pot. He had it FedExed to his house!

There was always a rumor at the time that Dawn was involved with that...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
She had also been drinking. That will cause you to swerve a lot more than pot will. But there are several issues here. First, the question of marijuana being illegal. A lot of people think it shouldn't. I'll leave it at that. Second, drunk driving. NEVER any excuse. Third, the disillusionment over fallen cultural icons. I think that was Foofoo's original point. Yes, it's sad. There are a million broken dreams in Hollywood. (Is there an emoticon for "plays little miniature violin"?)

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I just read the article more carefully. It seems she plead reckless operation, and had a reasonable story for having the stuff in her car, and for the erratic driving.

Of course, the headline must make her cringe! "Mary Ann Busted for POT!" She wasn't. That bit was dropped.

Feraud

Bartender
scotrace said:
Of course, the headline must make her cringe! "Mary Ann Busted for POT!" She wasn't. That bit was dropped.
Talk about media sensationalism.. I read "MaryAnn busted with dope".
I thought she was some sort of heroine mule. :)

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bob was arrested a couple times and just a couple years before he died they had a deal where they traced a package of pot sent to him by Dawn in the mail. I don't know who got arrested then.

Inconsequential sillyness from all ways you look at it really.[huh]

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Twitch said:
Inconsequential sillyness from all ways you look at it really.[huh]

Oh, I agree. It's just a hoot, since no one was injured. You go Dawn..."smoke, smoke, smoke that cigarette". Reet pleet vomootie! Play the piano....faster...faster...faster...

Foofoogal

Banned
Third, the disillusionment over fallen cultural icons. I think that was Foofoo's original point.

Wow. :eusa_clap Bingo.

Once again what is the experiences of different ones will come out.
Since it has gone all awry from my original intention I will say this.
If I could of seen into the future when we were all laying around like logs with the munchies I would of personally gone around and slapped everyone involved. Though pot may seem insignificant it was and definitely not is from seeing the personal grief and tragedy it has led to with more with many I love including death. Some don't know when to stop or some suffer consequences unforeseen. Choices. Yes.
So for the young people. Don't go there.

Foofoogal

Banned
How many people died from smoking pot last year

The important one to me. 18 year old nephew hit a concrete truck headon on drugs by watching other family members. My point.

I gave up drugs 30 years ago as I was seconds by the grace of God saved. I nearly got into a car with 3 other teens smoking pot and only pot. My boyfriend wanted me to stay and kiss so I did. They were all killed instantly about 2 blocks away. My mama was praying for me constantly back then as I needed it.

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Those 50,000 people all had families too, so speeding is still no big deal?

"The Road and Traffic Authority (RTA) state that the inappropriate use of speed (which is known there as "speeding") is a factor in about 40 per cent of road deaths."

To put that into perspective, according to the World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the U.S. Surgeon Generals' reports for the last 20 years, tobacco kills between 340,000 to 450,000 people per year. Alcohol, not including the 50 percent of all automobile deaths, kills over 150,000 people per year. Caffeine, such as can be found in coffee, triggers 1,000 to 10,000 deaths per year from stress, ulcers, and triggering irregular heartbeats. Legal drug overdoses weigh in with 14,000 to 27,000 deaths per year.

Marijauna, according to these sources, kills zero. However, for some unexplainable reason, it is still illegal and still highly overpenalized. In 2004, there were more pot related arrests than all other arrests combined. For a nation with a problem of prison overcrowding and underfunding, continuing the criminalization of marijauna seems rather illogical.

I don't smoke pot, but it being illegal just doesn't make sense to me. As for it being a gateway drug, alcohol comes in way before pot.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Wow - what a great story and life changing event! I can't imagine how a person would freak out with such a close scrape.

Let me say also that I agree 100% foofoogal. It's kind of a slap when those we thought were innocent turn out to be... not so much.

This guy will always be a hero of mine. A friend was on a plane with Fred Rogers, and saw that he actually took the flight time to help look after children on board.

rogers_zoom.jpg

Hopefully, some of my childhood heroes will stay untarnished! What ever happened to Elly Ma Clampett, by the way?

Edit: She stayed away from trouble. Gospel singer even!

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Elly May is still alive and makes appearances every once in a while.

From IMDB:

Now has a second career as a gospel singer.

Appeared as a guest at the Western Film Fair in Charlotte, North Carolina in 1992, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2002 and 2005.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I never really thought of Mary Ann, Gilligan or even the Professor as role models, let alone icons.

People are human and make mistakes. You have to decide to forgive or move on. Or just have a good laugh. Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy to those who think.

Anyway, awesome collar bar Mr. Rogers is sporting.

Foofoogal

Banned
Yes, it is. I actually went there a few years back and want to go again.
His cardigan sweater and the car The Tucker. 2 of the things I remember most.
Went I think on the hottest day of the year and it is expensive with a capital E. No place and I mean no place to park but all of Washington is more amazing than can be put into words. Every American should go at least once.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's always important to keep in mind that just because an actor was typecast in a certain role, it doesnt mean he or she necessarily has anything in common with that character in real life. Of course, I always kind of felt Bob Denver spent his latter years trying to live up to the image of Maynard G. Krebs, more than Gilligan...

Mister Rogers, though, was the Genuine Article. One of the few people in any field of endeavor that I have always and unapologetically admired. I still watch his show, even.

surely

A-List Customer
Well, I really have a problem: should I face directly what may be heartfelt but erroneous statements and suffer the slings and arrows of the misinformed?

OK, I will
"I toked my share in my stupid years but like I said she is 69 for petes sake.
Nothing more pathetic than old hippies IMHO."

"If I could of seen into the future when we were all laying around like logs with the munchies I would of personally gone around and slapped everyone involved. Though pot may seem insignificant it was and definitely not is from seeing the personal grief and tragedy it has led to with more with many I love including death. Some don't know when to stop or some suffer consequences unforeseen. Choices. Yes.
So for the young people. Don't go there."

Both these quotes are from foofoogal & while I don't want to make an example of her personally I will use these phrases as illustrative or as a starting point for my analysis.

I'm 70yrs old and in the best shape of my life. I will challenge any 70 yr old (any 60+)to a UFC style contest, 100m dash. whatever. I have also had several academic success during that time. Now for the kicker: toking has been an integral part of my life for the past 43 years. Yes that's right 43. No accidents, 2 speeding tickets on freeways. That's all

I usually mistrust people who say they did this or that and now they are reformed. How do I know that is not being said just to fortify their argument?
And a negative opinion poorly expressed often begets one in response. So who is pathetic?

But, I want to make it perfectly clear (Nixon used to say that) I am not in the least angered; I am bemused though. I suspect that there are others here who share my pov but are hesitant to come forward, tho several have in this thread.

And I know there are many who don't. I can respect your opinion; now that you know that there is at least one person here who will speak up for the 60s, I hope you can learn to respect mine. [aretha franklin fades in]

by now

sarah smith

New in Town
Honestly, who considers ANY member of Gilligan's Island as Role models?

They are ACTORS playing parts...

Fred Rogers was real. Not a character. Mary Ann was not real and was a character. I'm a big fan myself.

I for one am really getting tired of hearing about "celebrities" who do wrong.

Plus it's so great about everyone being so open about breaking the law. I'm not sure you realize exactly what and where you are saying this? (you may want to read up on the 5th)

Either way, I'll still watch Gilligan's Island just like I'll still watch and enjoy Seinfeld...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe