Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Man from U.N.C.L.E turns 60

Tiki Tom

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Man from U.N.C.L.E. was launched on this day in 1964.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marcbe...ic-spy-thriller-launched-on-this-day-in-1964/

Hitching a ride on the popularity of the James Bond franchise, it featured a multinational team of spies going after a nefarious clandestine criminal enterprise bent on world domination. The show’s particular hook was that (during those dark days of the Cold War) an American Agent was teamed up with a Russian Agent.

Some trivia:

1. U.N.C.L.E. was originally supposed to be The United Nations Command for Law and Enforcement, however the U.N. balked at this, and so it became the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement.

2. The evil organization they were up against was T.H.R.U.S.H, which stood for the “Technological Hierarchy for the Removal of Undesirables and the Subjugation of Humanity.” Man! I think they are still Around.

As a kid, how I loved that U.N.C.L.E. television show. From the secret headquarters beneath NYCity, to the badges and highly advanced weapons, to all that international travel, it was just the thing to spark a young boys imagination. How I wanted to be Napoleon Solo (odd name for an American.)

Best of all, the Man from U.N.C.L.E. had a jazzy up-tempo opening number that is still hard to beat…

The 2015 movie of the same name was pretty good, but it didn’t quite capture the spirit or the flavor of the U.N.C.L.E. Organization.

I wish the spy genre would come back into style.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Tried watching some old episodes once. Didn't realize how silly the show became in it's second season. Time was NOT kind to this series. Still I remember it fondly! Ah the spy craze of the 60's.

Worf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken