Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

making the perfect 40's pants

Blackjack

One Too Many
I have a friend whos a really fine tailor here and she's going to make me a pair of pants in the 40's style. A couple of questions though. I know the rise should be 14 to 15 inches, but what about width on the legs, and do the legs start to taper at the knee or right from the top down. Any help???

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think there is an evadress pattern for this. Look in the thread
Gentlemen show us what you made

There are also a lot of catalog scans out somewhere in the Lounge. I think it is helpful to read the description at the bottom of the pictures.

link

Ok, I think these are from the 30s. I can't find the 40s scans by now.[huh]
I think they trousers are cut rather straight and whide.

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
I really recommend getting an original pair or pattern from ebay or a local vintage clothing store to copy. Old 40's pants in poor condition are still pretty plentiful and cheap.

WA

New in Town
At the cutter and tailor . com she can down load the MTOC (use search to find it) and in that there is a 1949 trouser pattern. There maybe some other simular patterns there, too. These are British cuts. But many tailors around the world used them.

Since tailors are men, why aren't you making these trousers?

Blackjack

One Too Many
At the cutter and tailor . com she can down load the MTOC (use search to find it) and in that there is a 1949 trouser pattern. There may be other simular patterns there, too. These are British cuts. But many tailors around the world used them.

Since tailors are men, why aren't you making these trousers?

because i have no idea how to sew...

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'm thinking there may be a difference between a tailor (male) and a dressmaker/seamstress (female). Or is that old fashioned or just incorrect?
No, I think that's an accurate description. Just this last year the first female cutter in the history of Savile Row (250+ years) was installed. It must be hard for a woman to ask a man which side he dresses.........[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld