Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Makeup Ad from the 40's! Check out the eyebrows!

Kimberly

Practically Family
I thought this ad was so cool and does a good job showing the colors that were common during the 40's for makeup.

I LOVE the eyebrows and the bangs!

MaybelineOne.jpg

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
Those eyebrows are GREAT!! Too bad I look like Groucho Marx if I draw on anything heavier than the width of an eyebrow pencil :(

Shearer

Practically Family
Ah, that's great Kimberly! I'll never get the comma brow in my wildest dreams, but maybe I can aspire to those lashes... those are pretty great too. ;)

(Though I'm not sure I'm going to get there using Maybelline :D )

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Shearer said:
Ah, that's great Kimberly! I'll never get the comma brow in my wildest dreams, but maybe I can aspire to those lashes... those are pretty great too. ;)

(Though I'm not sure I'm going to get there using Maybelline :D )

L'Oreal has a line that gives me lashes pretty close to that without feeling heavy and goopy. I can't remember which line it is but it's in a long gray tube with a gold cap. Give it a try, it's pretty reasonable too. So funny, I've tried mascara's from more expensive lines like Trish McEvoy and Channel, but they don't do anything to volumize my lashes. Oh, that's it, the L'Oreal mascara that I love is Volumunous or something like that. Sadly, due to an eye infection, half the lashes on my right eye fell out:( So I won't be having beautifully thick lashes for a while, and I have to wait some time before I can use falsies again. Need to make sure eye is completely healed before I do anything drastic to them again.

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
That is such a great picture! I wish I liked rounded arches more to add to my look, but in the end I prefer pointed arches and even if it isn't "authentically" correct, I am sticking to my point(s)!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I have tried so hard for so long to get those brows, but I can never quite get them even -- they end up looking like off-center apostrophes rather than neat little commas, and I end up plucking them back to pencil-lines in frustration. That's about where I am right now, and I'm always very wary of trying to grow them out again and start over, because I know where I'll end up.

The gal who comes up with a foolproof way of getting perfect brows every time will make a million dollars.

Kimberly

Practically Family
Lizzie, I am wondering if many women from the 40's actually had eyebrows like that or if they penciled them in. I have a hard time using makeup on my eyebrows because I go really heavy on them and they look fake. LOL

I should probably try a pencil instead of eye shadow.

BTW: I was watching Fashion Police a few weeks ago and they had a beauty expert who said no only should you tweeze eyebrows, but you should trim them too. I can't even imagine trimming my eybrows. I would think you would need a real steady hand or you would wind up chopping them off completely. :eek:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As far as trimming, you were suposta comb them up (using hair spray to keep them up) and trim then along the top of your brow line. Ive done that and I must say, it does open up the face.

LD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lady Day said:
As far as trimming, you were suposta comb them up (using hair spray to keep them up) and trim then along the top of your brow line. Ive done that and I must say, it does open up the face.

LD

I have a very tiny "eyebrow" comb. It's not a brush with thick bristles, but a little comb with thin teeth. I comb up my brows and trim the excess that is sticking through the teeth. Just like when you get a hair cut and the stylist uses a comb while they trim your ends, it's the same way with trimming your brows. You can get one of these combs at any beauty supply shop as well as the little bitty scissors. It's pretty easy.

As for even brows with perfect shape, I'll never have them. For some reason the inside edges of my brows, the edges at the center, are very thin. I lightly pencil that area in. But the line where the brow begins that is supposed to be even with the outside bridge of the nose (if that makes any sense) is much farther in than it should be. I get a few hairs in that area, but I have to pluck them out for they never completely fill in and if I leave them my brows just look messy. So, I end up attempting to fill in that area with either a pencil or this brow shadow that I have.

Has anybody ever heard of Topik? It's a spray on hair product. Normally used for people with thinning hair to cover up any bald spots. I know someone with thyroid disease who has very thin hair. She uses this stuff and it makes her look as though she has a full head of hair. I wonder what would happen if I sprayed this stuff on my brows to make them look a little fuller. Not that I want big bushy brows, but just to make them look more defined and dramatic in the areas that I normally have to pencil in. The stuff looks like real hair. I think my Mom has some at her house. I'll be there tomorrow and see if it works. Hmmm, I feel a big mess coming on!:eek:

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Great pic Kimberly! I love the brows and eyeshadow...but I wish I could get that LIP shape! I need lip stencils I tell ya!!

Nikki

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Wow Kitty, those lace brows are awesome! I'll have to tell my clients about them!

Here's a pic of my brow.. it's close but I'll have to soften it a bit. I really want them like this pic now, I think I'll look younger, HA!
Nikki
eyebrow.jpg

pretty faythe

One Too Many
Kimberly said:
BTW: I was watching Fashion Police a few weeks ago and they had a beauty expert who said no only should you tweeze eyebrows, but you should trim them too. I can't even imagine trimming my eybrows. I would think you would need a real steady hand or you would wind up chopping them off completely. :eek:

That reminds me of when I first started using the special eyebrow razors. I wasn't paying that much attention for some reason and shaved the end of my eyebrow :fing28: , taught myself a leason. lol

Elaina

One Too Many
I draw on my brows due to scarring anyway, and always draw on an arch, else mine are very much a comma brow. I don't like them, and so I've always faked the arch by plucking, then drawing.

Too funny, goes back to the old thing of straight haired women want curly, and brown eyed girls want blue (generally speaking, of course.)

Shearer

Practically Family
Has anyone ever had their brows threaded? It's such a better way to shape brows and do clean up (for me, anyway) than waxing. I'd heard about it, but none of the waxing places I went to had anyone trained until....

...I was having my makeup done by an artist who also knew how to thread brows. He offered to do it for me before he started in on my makeup and my brows never looked better. It hurt much less than plucking or waxing and it seemed like he was done in about 5 seconds.

Unfortunately, my brows are thin and I hardly ever need to have them fully done. Plucking here and there is enough for me, so I haven't gotten to do it again.

pigeon toe

One Too Many
My eyebrows are gigantic if left untouched, so I keep up with waxing and plucking as much as possible. I definitely inherited my dad's brows (which look like two giant hairy caterpillars hanging out on his face!). Yikes!

Unfortunately though, it's impossible to put an arch in them. I manage to get a slight one by plucking, but it's very very slight. My roommate has the most gorgeous dark brows, with a beautiful arch, and she doesn't even pluck. All natural! And of course, she covers them up with bangs! :( I would kill for her brows!

Even though mine are thick, I still fill them in a bit with powder because they are a few shades too light for my liking, compared to my dyed black hair. I don't want to tint them though, because apparently the way to make black hair look natural is to have your eyebrows a few shades lighter. Actually, a lot of people have told me they thought my hair color was natural because of the color of my brows, so I guess it's true.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
?ç used to be unhappy with my eyebrows cause they are rather straight. I used to sit infront of my mirror pulling the skin above my brows up trying how it would look with a higher arch. But now I¬¥m actually happy with them. Same with my mouth. I hated my small mouth. But I learned to do my best with lipstick :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld